Skip to content

[SPOILERS] Imoen Plothole?

KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
OK, so when CHARNAME dies, he can't be resurrected - the game end immediately. I always thought, that it's because we are bhaalspawn and our essence goes right to the Bhaal as soon as we die. So that is why we can't be resurrected.

BUT!

Imoen. She is supposedly a bhaalspawn and we can ressurect her million times.
Why Sarevok was hunting CHARNAME, but not Imoen?
Why Imoen is actualy ignored in the Bhaalspawn wars?
In the end of ToB she could become a god... or she should die, in order to give her essence to CHARNAME to make him a god... or she should give up her essence, as CHARNAME could do. But actualy she didn't do anything.
Post edited by Kirkor on

Comments

• RythgarRythgar Member Posts: 101
    I think it all boils down to the argument that the distribution of Bhaal's essence between the progeny is not equal. Imoen and others had relatively low amounts, whereas CHARNAME, Sarevok and The Five had the largest portions.

Also, suspension of disbelief.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    I hadn't thought of the resurrection thing before, but now that you mention it, that definitly does sound like a problem. My guess is that Sarevok only knew about one Bhaalspawn in Candlekeep and didn't realize that there were two, either that or he knew there were two but hadn't figured out who the other one was yet.

In ToB, Imoen does give up her essence. If she is in your party when Mellisan is defeated, Solar will give Imoen that option.

There's as similar problem with Viekang, that Bhaalspawn you meet several times throughout the game and that teleports away whenever he's scared. There's an option in ToB to help him get his teleport ability back. If successful, he then safely teleports out of Saradush. If every Bhaalspawn's essence needs to be included, which is implied when Solar gives Imoen the chance to give up her essence, then surely Viekang's essence would be needed too. Since, depending on the PC's actions, Viekang may still be alive, this would also seem to prevent Bhaal's essence from being either locked away in Mount Celestial or the PC becoming a god.
  • lockmundlockmund Member Posts: 354
    Silrana solved this in her brilliant stories about a skald going through all of bg2. Basicly she stated that it happens to some bhaalspawn that hold a lot of their father's essence. I certainly recommend everyone to read them, Try www.gamejag.net/forum/index.php?/topic/11874-a-cappella-part-235-under-the-watchers-eye/ for a taste.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    It's obviouse you don't need all the essences of bhaal to become a god just most of it. And your the main character of course your not allowed to die.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    Also Irenicus said something about Imoen that she was special and her good nature proteced her from the effects, or something...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited November 2012
    ajwz said:

I have a theory that Imoen is not actually bhaal-spawn at all. I was going to post about it in a bg conspiracy thread a while back, but I got distracted posting about my "Hidden mindflayers are the silent antagonists of the whole series" theory.

What if actually there were subtle hints through the entire series that suggest you are under the influence of mindflayers. Like inexplicable dreams of you seeing a small child running in a forest or of course dreaming with the same cave in mind in BG1. Maybe thats really what those mindflayers were up to in the sewers.
  • PlasticGolemPlasticGolem Member Posts: 98
    I think that Imoen was originally not intended to survive Spellhold (which is why she has so little in the way of interaction with other characters after chapter 1, and why Nalia is essentially a not-quite-as-good Imoen clone capability-wise). Since she can't die in chapter 1 and wouldn't live past chapter 4, as long as you assume she didn't die in BG1, there is no incongruity. The story as I've heard it is that the developers later learned that Imoen was the most popular companion, so they re-wrote the story so that she survives.

As much as I like Imoen, I think it would have been better, story wise, if she had died. There is too much duplication between Imoen and Nalia, no story or gameplay reason to have both, and lots of reasons to prefer Imoen over Nalia. It's the Han Solo/Lando Calrissian problem all over again: a character is given a reprieve after their replacement has already started work, resulting in much awkwardness.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    ankheg's post

/thread
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    ankheg said:

There was a conversation about this between Sarevok and Imoen in ToB:

Imoen: What ... what was it like to die, Sarevok? Seeing as you’ve been through the experience repeatedly I can’t help but wonder if you’ve developed some perspective on it.
    Sarevok: Do you intend for me to believe that a weakling such as yourself has never needed to be revived by a priest? Bah! I imagine this group has obtained a discount at the temple of Helm for you, dear sister.
    Imoen: Yeah, but that’s different. That’s just some blackness and then like, ‘oops, here you go!’ I don’t think that I’ve ever been really, really dead like you have.
    Sarevok: Keep prodding me and that could quickly change.
    Imoen: Oh, you don’t fool me. I’m an archmage after all ... and you’re nothing but bluster. Tell me what I want to know!
    Sarevok: The knowledge would do you no good, now, dear sister. And by the time you need it, it will be too late. Now leave me be ... your constant chirruping is giving me a headache.

So... she never actually died? She was only incapacitated?
    That would be quite cheap explanation :P

Wow, elminster's theory of mindflayers is actualy pretty cool... That would make quite depressing story.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Well, think of it this way - the game needs a mastermind. If the mastermind dies, then the followers go on a chaos spree.

If a follower dies, he or she is revived, no problem there. But if the PC dies, the one that gives the order, the poor party members will be like "OMG, I Can't drink a glass of water without PC!" *dies*

While followers get revived, the PC has a better remedy - RELOAD :)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    elminster said:

ajwz said:

I have a theory that Imoen is not actually bhaal-spawn at all. I was going to post about it in a bg conspiracy thread a while back, but I got distracted posting about my "Hidden mindflayers are the silent antagonists of the whole series" theory.

What if actually there were subtle hints through the entire series that suggest you are under the influence of mindflayers. Like inexplicable dreams of you seeing a small child running in a forest or of course dreaming with the same cave in mind in BG1. Maybe thats really what those mindflayers were up to in the sewers.
    Here was my take on it if you are interested:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4030/the-great-shadows-of-amn-conspiracy/p1
  • DuronDuron Member Posts: 137
    I don't find it a plothole as her getting revived BUT I do find it a plothole that she still has Bhall essence after revive.

I always looked at the game as when protagonist dies he loses the essense. Yes he can be revived but he no longer has divine piece of himself inside, only the mortal portion (and on that way game ends). So when we revive Imoen she keeps her life but not her essense, that is how I always looked at things.

As for the end, I actually had her in the final combat prior to the final choice and Solar asks her what does she want to do with her divine portion and she responds that she gives it away, that she just wants to be mortal.

So like I said, all of it makes sense to me, except the fact that she still has divine essense to ressurect Sarevok or be stolen by Bodhi if she died at some point. Except for that I really don't see a plothole here.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    It's because they figured Imoen out as they went, which was the root of the inconsistency. Well, not really. The mind flayers are making me say this. Nothing to see here, stupid humans. Move along.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    It's been a loooooooong time since I played BG2, but didn't Irenicus extract Imoen's bhaal essence in Spellhold? I always assumed after that point that she was no longer a bhaalspawn. I never played ToB.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @salieri

Once you kicked Bodhi's ass Imoen got her essence back.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

It's because they figured Imoen out as they went, which was the root of the inconsistency.

^^This.^^

But at least they tried to cover it with "lawl she never died, just got incapacitated." Better than nothing.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I think you're right, it is a plot hole. One that I'm willing to ignore however.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    There's nothing in that banter implying she was incapacitated rather than dead. She merely remarks that her experience with death wasn't as "intense" as Sarevok's.

I always thought that being impossible to revive the protagonist (ending the game instead) had less to do with the story and more with game mechanics. I suppose you could have the rest of your party take your character to a temple, or have a priest NPC cast a spell, but until then, the game is sort of broken, as pretty much every plotline depends on the PC being alive.

Not to mention the hassle of programming dialog content that recognizes your PC as dead. And how to reform your party in the meantime? What happens if everyone's booted? And that considering there even is a way to quickly resurrect him. What if your party has no cash and no high level Cleric?
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    Kilivitz said:

There's nothing in that banter implying she was incapacitated rather than dead. She merely remarks that her experience with death wasn't as "intense" as Sarevok's.

I always thought that being impossible to revive the protagonist (ending the game instead) had less to do with the story and more with game mechanics. I suppose you could have the rest of your party take your character to a temple, or have a priest NPC cast a spell, but until then, the game is sort of broken, as pretty much every plotline depends on the PC being alive.

Not to mention the hassle of programming dialog content that recognizes your PC as dead. And how to reform your party in the meantime? What happens if everyone's booted? And that considering there even is a way to quickly resurrect him. What if your party has no cash and no high level Cleric?

I imagine the situation would end up similar to what happens in Heroes of Might and Magic IV, when your RPG-style heroes can get killed, but their soldiers can survive the battle. The soldiers then wander around as they would with the heroes, but are much weaker in battle. If they make it back to a city you control, you can hire a new hero to lead the soldiers.

I know it would probably be too complicated for the developers to add, but it could be an interesting addition if the party had some time limit on when they needed to resurrect the PC before the game ended. Maybe they could have a day or two and after that the body would either be too far decomposed to resurrect or would lose Bhaal's essence. This would be similar to the situation in the Heroes games, where you're supposed to control a city at all times, but if you lose your last city but still have units somewhere, you have 7 game days to capture a new one or lose the game.

Another possibility is that this time limit could be extended or modified in some way if someone else with Bhaal's essence was in your party at the time, such as Imoen or the baby you can have with Aerie. Your PC could get the Bhaal essence returned, in a manner of speaking, by taking the essence from either Imoen or the baby. Or maybe your party could steal it by killing another Bhaalspawn, and use that when they resurrect you.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    The biggest issue is what to do in the meantime. Who makes the party decisions? Who responds for the PC on plot conversations?

If the PC dies and you run into Brage does Xzar decide to harvest his organs? Does Jaheira decide to run the party now? Do the assassins not show up if you are already dead?

@Kilivitz hit this issue very well in his last post.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited November 2012
    I always thought Saveoursock in the original game sent out letters to all the temples saying "Don't revive Gorion or CHARNAME" They worship Bhaal or something... That would solve it... Saveoursock would also be able to do that owning a powerful arms production / merchant company...

Edit: new idea this was not in game...
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    AHF said:

The biggest issue is what to do in the meantime. Who makes the party decisions? Who responds for the PC on plot conversations?

If the PC dies and you run into Brage does Xzar decide to harvest his organs? Does Jaheira decide to run the party now? Do the assassins not show up if you are already dead?

@Kilivitz hit this issue very well in his last post.

If you're Abdel then everyone high fives, Sarevok is overcome with remorse and realises the error of his ways and Centeol looses 15 stone and marries Irenicus, steering him off his path of destruction.
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    They never indicate that you need ALL of Bhaal's essence to become a god. Melissan is trying to do her ascension ritual while the main character (and Imoen, and Viekang, and Balthazar if you're playing assension) are still alive.

The thing about her not losing her essence when she dies seems like a plothole, though.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    @PlasticGolem

If Imoen was meant to die, then Nalia is a useless replacement, only 80 detect traps and 60 open locks isnt enough for a thief in BG2.

• JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited November 2012
    AHF said:

Biff does, obvs.

But seriously, instead of poking greater holes, perhaps we can try and patch it together ourselves with some artistic license.
    Perhaps someone could mod Imoen so that when she dies, it's also game over, in exactly the same way as when the PC dies. She's quite a hardy Thief, although I do distinctly recall her 'I feel so cold...' lines a lot back when I used to recruit her (I never do these days). Ugh ... really drawing a blank here.

I'd love to see an Imoen dying in Spellhold mod though.
    Another problem with Imoen dying in spellhold - if you take Yoshimo with you then you cant exit with a Thief. Also then the only thief NPCs left in BG2 would be Nalia and Jan.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Mungri said:

Another problem with Imoen dying in spellhold - if you take Yoshimo with you then you cant exit with a Thief. Also then the only thief NPCs left in BG2 would be Nalia and Jan.

Really? You can't leave without one?!
    I believe the devs are adding a Thief NPC to BG2:EE

edited November 2012
    Yoshimo betrays you in Spellhold, and if Imoen died, then you have no more capable rogues in the game other than Jan (and I dont use anyone else than Jan anymore since my first playthrough with Yoshimo + Imoen because neither of them are as good, and yoshimo dies. Only Jan can get thief HLAs).

I would have really liked an evil Assasin NPC in BG2, you already have Imoen for good parties and Yoshimo and Jan are neutral. Though they will get along fine with an evil party, theres no evil rogue option. On the other hand BG1 was full of more rogue NPCs than you could ever need.

Theres plenty of mages, fighters and healers in BG2, and only one proper thief.