Skip to content

[SPOILERS] Imoen Plothole?

2»

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Mungri said:

Yoshimo betrays you in Spellhold, and if Imoen died, then you have no more rogue in the game other than Jan.

I would have really liked an evil Assasin NPC in BG2, you already have Imoen for good parties and Yoshimo and Jan are neutral. Though they will get along fine with an evil party, theres no evil rogue option. On the other hand BG1 was full of more rogue NPCs than you could ever need.

There's Nalia

(critiques coming in 3, 2, 1...)
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    Pfffft, Nalia is no rogue unless modded in Shadowkeeper to 75 open locks and 75 find traps with both the traps + locks rings.

Just like you wouldnt rely on a 4 figher / Mage as a front line tank. 6 rogue classes are the minimum needed for 100 open locks and disarm traps, even 5 is fine for 100 traps / 75 locks with knock spells, but Nalia cannot detect or disarm a lot of traps without wasting potions or getting the ring of danger sense.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    DJKajuru said:

Mungri said:

Yoshimo betrays you in Spellhold, and if Imoen died, then you have no more rogue in the game other than Jan.

I would have really liked an evil Assasin NPC in BG2, you already have Imoen for good parties and Yoshimo and Jan are neutral. Though they will get along fine with an evil party, theres no evil rogue option. On the other hand BG1 was full of more rogue NPCs than you could ever need.

There's Nalia

(critiques coming in 3, 2, 1...)
    I actually like Nalia.

(tomatoes hurling their way in 3, 2, 1...)

• KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I actually never used Nalia

*Nothing happens in 3... 2... 1...*
    I think we went off topic :P

BTW, I didn't think this topic will get so popular :P
    I didnt think this forum would be so popular but it is!!!

BG fans united!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2012
    My take on this issue is kind of like @Kilivitz's. They made up the rule about the protagonist not being raiseable just to get around a whole lot of engine-programming issues.

The whole story with Imoen in BG2 is a ret-con. They were probably just hoping that you wouldn't notice that she was raiseable and you weren't. I actually don't remember there being any in-game explanation about why charname can't be raised. It just says "your protagonist is dead, game over" or whatever that message with the big hand says. I often used to think "uh, why can't my party raise me from the dead?" But it was what it was, so I just had to reload or start a new game.

In hindsight, I would think they could have developed a "respawn" system where your whole party would be "teleported" to a temple, with some appropriate penalty to gold or xp. That's how Neverwinter Nights handled it. They either just didn't think of it, or rejected the idea of respawning for whatever reason.

I think all this trying to justify the programming decisions with in-story reasoning has come after the fact. More ret-conning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Technically, Imoen could have died and been brought back to life at any time not covered by the games.
    edited November 2012
    How about this, when resurrecting Imoen in BG1, the PC is reduced to 1 HP or takes damage that would imply that Imoen being brought back to life sapped some of the PC's soul in order to regain her Bhallspawn essence.
    How come we couldnt ressurect Yoshimo in the pocket plane though?
    Shandyr said:

Do you remember when you killed Sarevok?

A video is shown were his body turns (magically) to dust. And his essence flies off.

Yep. Same happens with you, when you die. Just watch the cutscene after you die :)
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    @Mungri I tried that, and the statue said no. I think it says it can only bring the living to you (and Yoshimo dies in BG2 regardless of whether you take him to Spellhold or not), though why CHARNAME couldn't spring for a resurrection (or just cast one if there's someone high enough level who can do it), I don't know. I think Yoshimo's permanent demise and Imoen's retcon are sticky places in the plot; they don't make sense but there isn't much you can do about it unless you know how to mod.
    Yoshimo stays dead for the same reason as Khalid.
    Jaheira said something like
    "Some people should stay dead, when their bodies are so... demolished" or something like that (Khalid probably lost his weewee, and poor Jaheira didn't want husband like that, lol).
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Mungri said:

How come we couldnt ressurect Yoshimo in the pocket plane though?

Because that would've been convenient.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Hey guess what... I never let Imoen die. PLOTHOLE FILLED!
    The pocket plane doesn't resurrect people does it? It just beckons them into the plane, Yoshimo is dead (with his heart potentially removed by the PC) and it's been a fair time since when he perishes to when you reach the Pocket Plane. It just seems more illogical than the devs not being bothered to write him in.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Death in the realms is normal. Adventurers go early. The old farmer goes late. You just can't get the soul back from the fugue plane... Soooo why not have an added extra to the game.

If Imoen dies... Maybe a dialogue opens up, informing you of an unnatural urge to remove Imoens heart, (plant a kiss on her lips, slap her face hard anything really, need more thought) A realisation, (that voice you here in your dream?) that you want to steal Imoens soul (devour the heart maybe?) If your good you can push it back and you hp is reduced to one and Imoen is raised to one, if bad you get lots of experience for eating Imoens soul... possibly a rep decreas. This would repeat each time Imoens dies... Obviously if you die, Imoen must have ripped out your heart and eaten it, the naughty minx.

Not thought out the whole thing yet but as always... the team behind BG:EE can't change the plot, or even plug the holes.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Sounds a bit much like Mask of the Betrayer from NWN2.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Maybe Imoen can be ressurected because the essence isn't so focused on her.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    This is one that is pretty low on my list of priorities. I wouldn't make any changes.