Skip to content

Help please

So, I have around 50 hours of playtime, mostly on Story mode. But got tired of it and wanted to try something different, since story mode sometimes stops functioning. I'm currently playing on Normal mode and I don't want to decrease difficulty.

I created a multi fighter/thief, a half-elf, I have Nalia, Aerie, Jaheira and Viconia in party. Even the skinner murder is too hard for me, when I have to fight ghast and they killed my party. I finished Copper corronet slaves, but that was hard too.

I might change my main character, but I don't want to change difficulty or party setup. Any advice?

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Well a 6th party member wouldn't hurt but if you don't want one we can work around that.
    What equipment are you using for your party?
    What spells do you use? (As you have a lot of casting power)
    What tactics do you normally try?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    They are ghasts, maybe ghast are summoned?
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    edited February 2017
    Like @Chimera says, the Ghasts are fairly weak at your point, although they might tip the scale if they manage to land their paralysis on you. Their autoattack sometimes does that.

However; I think I see more of a problem in your party. You have Nalia, which is also a thief of sorts, 3 party members (!) capable of filling the cleric role, and almost nothing in the ways of tanking/pure melee damage. You did not mention your main character's alignment, but your party comes off as a bit strange in terms of alignment as well. To say it kindly, you're playing a party that requires a lot of micromanaging and careful planning to win fights.

I would consider starting a new game with a fighter CHARNAME. Any kit of fighter (except wizard slayer and kensai) or paladin will do. Hell, I'd recommend playing him through BG1, first.

Second option, and assuming your CHARNAME is good: Drop Viconia and Aerie, and possibly Nalia as well. Consider recruiting Keldorn and Anomen, Minsc is also a great addition if he wasn't left behind in Irenicus' dungeon. I guess Valygar could fill in for him if he was. I have spoiled too much already. Better ask for help with your BG2 party in the appropiate category.

edited for typos and such.
    edited a second time to implore you not to change back to storymode ever again - it ruines an aspect of the game that is very entertaining.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    Viconia could turn undead - she is high enough level to make the ghasts run away.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited April 2017
    First off, don't feel bad if you're having trouble on normal - the BG series has a bit of a learning curve and it's not uncommon for new players to find it unusually challenging.

When fighting ghasts, try to stick to ranged weapons and spells as engaging them in melee will invariably lead to someone getting paralyzed/diseased. Since they're undead, they'll be immune to a few spell effects (check the descriptions) so raw, no-save damage is usually the safest bet. Magic missiles should be surprisingly effective at your level, as will fireball-type spells, potions, and wands if you have the space. You can also have Viconia use turn undead while your other party members pelt them with bullets/arrows. Don't forget to check your consumables to see if there's anything to protect you or increase your damage output.

Good luck :smile:
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited April 2017
    Another regular tip is to stack all the best armor and THAC0 items on one or two of your characters (in your case it would be CHARNAME and Jaheira tanking most likely) to make them really good and then have the rest of the party stay behind, chucking spells and ranged weapons on the enemies. The regular enemy AI is usually not smart enough to circumvent your tanks to attack you weaker ones in the back unless you mod the game, which I assume you haven't.

But as said above, the rune assassins in the lowest level of the Tanner house are beasts if you go down to early. Don't be afraid to chug several potions increasing AC (like stoneform etc), strenght, HP regeneration etc before going down there. Also, even if it feels weird from a roleplaying perspective, rest before going down if you have to to refresh your spells etc. They will often strike close to the stairs so dont rush your tanks forward and leave your weaker guys unprotected by the stairs or you will risk the rune assassins one-shotting your mages to death.

If you are too low level for true sight spell, then have your clerics memorize the remove invisibility spell. It's a low level spell that is very slow to cast (take care so that you are not attacked and loose the spell), but it can enable you to see a rune assassin for a few seconds. Then pause, switch to ranged if you are not close by, and focus fire on one of them 'til it dies.

And lastly, though I very rarely follow my own advice, there's no harm in leaving and returning later when you have more EXP and higher levels.

Good luck!
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    Another way to make this battle easier is this:
    1. position your party in the room above where the ghasts are, well away from the stairs down, equipped with ranged weapons (maybe one or two with melee weapons too)
    2. go downstairs with Charname only and run back upstairs immediately after talking to the evil dude
    3. attack and kill both ghasts there
    4. take the party downstairs and fight the rune assassin(s)
    5. loot
    Also, you mention not wanting to change party composition, yet considering changing Charname. That seems a bit odd to me. If you still feel that way, well sure, you can definitely finish the game with this party, after all, it consists of 2 fighters, 2 clerics, 2 mages, a druid and a thief and a half. Still, it's been over 2 months and you might have changed your mind since. You might want to consider a very small change in party composition that could make your run much easier without changing much capability-wise. Not Charname. Fighter/Thief Multi is a very good and useful choice. What I would suggest is one of two options. Either add a ranger, paladin or fighter, or, if you prefer to keep a party of 5, dump Viconia and recruit Anomen. That way you get to keep all the spellcasting power and add muscle. Don't worry if you feel emotionally attached to Viconia, because Anomen is an equally annoying nagger.
    It's been a month and I did change the charname AND party composition. I jut wanted to play all women party, you know, role--play and that.
    All women party, I like that. Is your new party all women as well?
    No. I could not find decent thief or decent fighter. Jaheira and my pc fighter/thief were unable to take a punch.
    Interesting. Your FT not being able to take a punch could be a stat problem, but Jaheira should hold up just fine. I always put her in the frontline (normal difficulty) and she usually survives.
    There is a more than decent female fighter available in chapter 2.
    So what does your current party look like?
    Currently, I play with a skald, Keldorn, Jaheira, Aerie, Jan and Anomen. Doing relatively fine.
    Yeah that should work. Have fun, get to know the ins and outs of the game/world, and maybe later on you get to play your all female party for another run. I for one think it should totally be possible once you're more familiar with all the possibilities and opportunities these games offer.