Skip to content

Nov.1, 2012, BGEE Trailer in approvals...

Comments

• Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    wojtek said:

they are waiting for approval from publishers to release

Still?! How long does it take to approve a game trailer. The publisher just need to watch it and say "Yay" or "Nay" and its done. I can't possibly think of how that would take more than say...20 minutes tops to either approve it or not...
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Kristie83 said:

wojtek said:

Still?! How long does it take to approve a game trailer. The publisher just need to watch it and say "Yay" or "Nay" and its done. I can't possibly think of how that would take more than say...20 minutes tops to either approve it or not...
    They may have asked for alterations, numerous times even. But really, who knows?
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259

Kristie83 said:

wojtek said:

They may have asked for alterations, numerous times even. But really, who knows?
    Perhaps you are correct...I never thought of that...
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I loved the original Divine Divinity, and hated Divine Divinity 2. What is the relationship here?
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    Few minutes trailer takes more than then days for approval , how about future Free/Paid DLC , several years ? i really support this project , and respect developers , but i totally can't catch up what's their approval process , they can't always tell the consumers , soon .. it is under approving now,
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645

I loved the original Divine Divinity, and hated Divine Divinity 2. What is the relationship here?

Modern RPG sequels generally suck giant balls. Console balls to be more precise, apparently the PC isn't profitable so RPG companies refuse to make PC only top down strategic RPGs anymore because they have to be console friendly and appealing to COD players.

I don't know why there hasn't yet been an indie developer making games like BG. There are plenty of Diablo clones already out there that change nothing about the highly successful and addictive formula of the Diablo games, but the entire gaming industry has simply chosen to neglect making any similar games to BG. Even more surprising is that whenever a company releases a highly promising and critically successful game like DAO and maybe also Divinity 1, every developer behind these games has some kind of mental sickness that makes them completely butcher and ruin their highly promising and successful game into a pile of crap dumbed down console controller action combat game.

I don't understand why video game developers are infected with such a plague.

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    But there are indie developers doing games like BG. Look at Spiderweb software, for instance.

http://www.spidweb.com/
    edited November 2012
    Spiderweb are older than BG, and their games today still look and play worse.

I enjoyed the Exile series back in the early 90s, but the rest of their games since then have aged terribly.

Zeboyd's RPGs Cthulhu Saves the World and Penny arcade on the rain slick 3 are too much better in terms of quality and playability, even with 8 bit graphics. In terms of top down indie games, Magicka and Bastion are my favorites, but they are completely different gameplay wise.
  • bdeonovicbdeonovic Member Posts: 86
    Mungri said:

Modern RPG sequels generally suck giant balls. Console balls to be more precise, apparently the PC isn't profitable so RPG companies refuse to make PC only top down strategic RPGs anymore because they have to be console friendly and appealing to COD players.

I don't know why there hasn't yet been an indie developer making games like BG. There are plenty of Diablo clones already out there that change nothing about the highly successful and addictive formula of the Diablo games, but the entire gaming industry has simply chosen to neglect making any similar games to BG. Even more surprising is that whenever a company releases a highly promising and critically successful game like DAO and maybe also Divinity 1, every developer behind these games has some kind of mental sickness that makes them completely butcher and ruin their highly promising and successful game into a pile of crap dumbed down console controller action combat game.

I don't understand why video game developers are infected with such a plague.

They want to make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and thats usually why they turn to consoles.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    mlnevese said:

But there are indie developers doing games like BG. Look at Spiderweb software, for instance. http://www.spidweb.com/

That is NOT true. I challenge you to provide me a single Baldur's Gate like RPG on pc with real time combat, with minimum party of 4 (preferably more) customizable chars that progress and can equip stuff, has at least bearable plot and graphics that are on par with Baldur's Gate 2. Of course with top down perspective (being isometric is not required).

The ones I can think of that qualify are NWN2 and Dragon Age series, but neither of those really come close to BG and certainly aint indie titles.
    bdeonovic said:

They want to make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and thats usually why they turn to consoles.

Or in Bioware's case, they get acquired by EA who demand multiple platform releases, and ridiculously short deadlines which is what ruined DA2.

Indie developers on Steam are making loads of cash from cheap games that IMO beat the top tier AAA titles for gameplay, but theres still nothing comparative to BG. There are a few great top down view action games though.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    @Bercon, Arcanum.
    I bought Avadon the Black Fortress and it was incredibly lame compared to the Exile games I used to play, and doesnt even compare to BG.

And why have all these recent party based games reduced the max party size from 6 to 4? I dont like that either.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Dragon Age Origins (not the sequel) was pretty good and gorgeous to look at, but still doesn't grab me and retain my interest the way the BG series does.

I respect what Spiderweb are trying to do with their games, but they're too fugly, even the improved recent ones, and are not nearly as engaging to play.

Divinity: Original Sin with its turn-based combat sounds interesting, but given past disappointments from the sequels to the (very good) Divine Divinity, I'd want to try a demo before buying it.

Some of the Kickstarter rpg projects sound *very* promising, I've already pledged to Project Eternity (http://eternity.obsidian.net/ ), and Sui Generis has great potential: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/11/08/a-brief-look-at-sui-generis-a-remarkable-looking-kickstarter-rpg/ They seem to be trying to combine the promise of satisfying and thoughtful gameplay, with decent graphics.
    edited November 2012
    Yea everytime I start playing DAO, I think 'Wow, this is great'. Then I'm bored by the time I complete the broken tower quest chain.

Also I'm trying out a respec mod now to customize my group however I like (as you can do in BG) ... It pretty much turned nightmare mode into simple when I min / maxed all my characters lol. EG. When you get Lelliana she comes with 18 str and 18 dex. That sounds great right? Well, stick a respec on her and now you have 16 str, 32 dex, 16 cunning, and then I just increase her dex and keep the cunning at the minimum needed for rogue skills - much much better for a ranged rogue, and her ranged damage increases significantly.

Another problem with DAO is that the camera movement gives me migraines due to spinning the screen all over the place. One minute im on top down, then im on third person, now I'm on first person ... ouch brain hurty. Any such party RPG needs a lockable top down view with unlimited range on scrolling to be comfortable to play - theres an enemy somewhere as my characters have entered combat mode, but I cant scroll far enough in top down view to find it, and can barely manage to locate it when spinning the camera around in third person view.

In terms of the locked top down view on modern decent looking games, both Magicka and Bastion have handled this perfectly for me, but the games are nothing like BG, though they are both great fun to play.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    It's a shame Sui Generis probably won't reach its target goal. Only 40000 pounds and 18 days to go...
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    mlnevese said:

It's a shame Sui Generis probably won't reach its target goal. Only 40000 pounds and 18 days to go...

That's a shame, Project Eternity is a go, though, at least
  • ioannismanioannisman Member Posts: 43
    Twelve days have passed after initial announcement and no trailer yet?
    Cmon guys only 16 days remain until official launch, please do something!!!
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Am I the only one that doesn't trust KickStarter? Looking at the history there, I think we'll see more projects that just fade away than actually get finished. We'll see if I'm right or wrong, but my sense is that most aren't going to become finished products.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

Twelve days have passed after initial announcement and no trailer yet?
    Cmon guys only 16 days remain until official launch, please do something!!!

This isn't engendering a lot of feel good vibes after the prior last second delay. If people don't have a trailer in order by now, there is clearly a breakdown somewhere in the system. You want the trailer out before the game is released!
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2012
    Not implying anything, and i understand the approval procedure and all, but i'll say that, the trailer is too close to the release date, which seems odd.

Either it is not deliberate, because other stuff in the trailer had to be approved as well first, or deliberate, since maybe they want to reveal something in the trailer that they were keeping as a surprise.

Either way, i'm gonna say this : These approvals sound like a Major Pain in the a** for the devs.

Post edited by Mornmagor on
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    edited November 2012
    in the end they should have tried to get a little bit more freedom during that contract making-process, sometimes a little bit MORE fighting enables MORE open doors, which are otherwise sadly closed... as seen at the endresult for the Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition...

And lets be serious, that terms DO damage that nice Project quite a lot, if you even are not allowed to post a single 1920x1080 HD Screenshot.. then... Well, in that case things have gone wrong just a little bit.
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    Yeah this is slightly troubling. It better be epic!!
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    This is quite troubling. What is the point of a game trailer if it's going to be released a week and a half before the actual game ships? This has another delayed game launch date written all over it.
    I blame Wotc / Atari for the delays, they are terrible with handling other companies making D&D games.

D&D would be immensely better if it was open source, and anyone could make D&D games without approval from Wotc.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    If Phil handn't said there was a trailer in approvals, no one would be angry right now. Waiting, and being asked to be patient, is the price you pay for a more 'open' development team.
  • GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97
    edited November 2012
    Is it troubling that the trailer isn't out yet? Yes. Surprising? Yes. Surprising for this project? No.

It's pretty clear much of the focus is on the mobile app market, which makes sense. Perhaps @trentoster can clarify if there will be a trailer.
    GoodSteve said:

This is quite troubling. What is the point of a game trailer if it's going to be released a week and a half before the actual game ships? This has another delayed game launch date written all over it.

Well, whats the point of a game trailer for a remake of a 15ish year old game? There are already enough videos of the originals.
  • GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97
    edited November 2012

If Phil handn't said there was a trailer in approvals, no one would be angry right now. Waiting, and being asked to be patient, is the price you pay for a more 'open' development team.

Public is not the same as open. Hopefully, there will be an update soon. I do agree though, there is no need for people to be angry.

• GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    I suspect It's a simple case of priorities with those companies. They have their own projects to worry about and since BGEE is not theirs, they just don't see it as a priority, so the approvals take that much longer. I also think(though i can't say specifically in this case since i don't know the particulars of the contract(s) ) that the process itself takes a lot of time as it's not just game folks who have to approve things but they have to pass through lawyers to make sure none of the information in the trailer goes against the contract agreement, and that also takes time. Red tape isn't just a creature of government.