Skip to content

What To Do With Mazzy?

Ok, so I'm playing BG2. I was planning on a "Paladin Playthrough" with my PC (Cavalier), Keldorn, and Mazzy. Well, I just did Keldorn's personal quest. My heart broke, I released him to retire with his wife and children.

So my current party plan is: PC (Cavalier), Mazzy, Jaheira, Imoen, Viconia, jan Jansen.

I edited Imoen to reflect her BG1 stats so she's only rogue 2 with 75 in Find Traps, so I need a thief.

I was going to give Keldorn Halberds and other random weapons. But now I'm sort of at a loss.

Mazzy already has a bunch of ranks in Short Bows, one in short swords, and I gave her one in dual wielding. I'm thinking of working on her dual wielding and giving her the flail of ages and... something else. Not sure what yet.

Once my paladin gets the holy sword he's not really going to use anything else except maybe a throwing axe if he needs some ranged attacks.

It's not a big deal but it threw my plans into disarray and I had to type it out XD

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    If you go for dual wielding and one of your partymembers isnt already using it then the cromfeyr is a great offhand weapon
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited November 2012
    If I were you I'd give mazzy the short sword of action, which gives an extra attack, and have her dual wield it with her own. It ain't better than crom faeyr, but I would prefer to see her with lots of attacks per round.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Keldorn's quest is a real doozy, you just have to let him go!

On the other hand, if you don't let him go, aside from some initial sadness there are absolutely ZERO quincyquonces so you can just go right ahead and stick it to his missus!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    when i have mazzy, i start dumping points into axe, and when you get into ToB she can use axe of the unyielding +5, and plus there is 2 +3 battle axes in SoA and they are easy to find and come by pretty quickly, and if you are going to dual wield her, i would put 5 stars into axe for axe of the unyielding, 3 in two weapon fighting, and at least 1 in flail and use defender or eastheaven +2 ( and dont be fooled of that +2 because it is actually a +3 weapon) or if you want to use flail of the ages, then use the flail of the ages and defender of easthaven because they are both flails, i always have defender of easthaven in my off hand when i dual wield, that flail gives some awesome resistances
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    sarevok57 said:

when i have mazzy, i start dumping points into axe, and when you get into ToB she can use axe of the unyielding +5, and plus there is 2 +3 battle axes in SoA and they are easy to find and come by pretty quickly, and if you are going to dual wield her, i would put 5 stars into axe for axe of the unyielding, 3 in two weapon fighting, and at least 1 in flail and use defender or eastheaven +2 ( and dont be fooled of that +2 because it is actually a +3 weapon) or if you want to use flail of the ages, then use the flail of the ages and defender of easthaven because they are both flails, i always have defender of easthaven in my off hand when i dual wield, that flail gives some awesome resistances

Does the Axe of Unyielding do anything special?

The Flail of Ages is one of my favorite weapons, so I was really angling on having her use it for her primary melee weapon.
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    Save Flail of Ages for your cleric, whoever it is. Personally I kinda hate the Flail of Ages now, because Free Action makes you immune to Haste, and I basically always want to be hasted in tough fights.
  • PlasticGolemPlasticGolem Member Posts: 98
    Mazzy is a great archer and she should spend as much time as possible doing that. Give her the Tuigan bow (+1 attack per round) for most work and Tansheron's bow (or Gesen's bow, I guess) for use against enemies that require +3 weapons to hit, or when she runs out of ammunition.

She only needs a melee weapon for self defence, in which case something like Ilbratha or Arbane's sword are nice because they have good abilities for getting out of a tight spot (mirror image for Ilbratha and haste + immunity to hold for Arbane's sword). After maxing out her ability with bows, I don't think it matters too much what you dump her remaining proficiencies into, since she'll likely never be a more effective melee fighter than an archer.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Hur Hur Hur

...OH you mean for combat *walks out*
    Well she already has four or five dots in shortbow. That doesn't mean I don't want to use her as a backup tank or that sometimes you just need to wade in and smack a guy stupid.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Do what I did as my noble paladin character. Leave her in the dungeon and keep on walking.
    But she's soooo kyuuuute! And awesome!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Sorry I just innately have a difficult time accepting a halfling that is not either a thief, a fighter/thief, or a cleric.
  • orosiusorosius Member Posts: 45
    I like her as an archer!
    @CaptRory axe of the unyielding +5 gives: +1 con, regenerate 3hp/round, +1 ac bonus, 10% chance of instantly killing a creature when struck from decapitation, so yeah its kinda special :)
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Kaxon said:

Save Flail of Ages for your cleric, whoever it is. Personally I kinda hate the Flail of Ages now, because Free Action makes you immune to Haste, and I basically always want to be hasted in tough fights.

Flail of Ages doesn't have free action and doesn't make you immune to haste. It slows enemies but doesn't slow the user. (You get a nice 9 attacks per round with the FOA and Kaldorn + improved haste).

I think your best build is giving her the Flail of Ages and using the Kaldorn short sword that gives you an additional attack per round. Axe of the unyielding is great, you just get it later.

When I use Mazzy, I like her to use halberds so I can watch my halfing carve people up with the Ravager.
    Kaxon was no doubt talking about the +5 version which does have free action, and why the hell did the developers give a weapon free action? seriously that was a very dumbass move to do because everyone is going to be using haste but whateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevs i shappose, and there is a short sword that gives you an extra attack per round? the only weapons that i know of are belm+2 and scarlet ninto-jo+3 that do that, that sedune short sword is fast with speed factor 0 which some but i dont know of any short sword that adds attacks per round though
    You get the short sword with the bonus attack in the alternate plane on the Haer Dalis quest. It is called Kundane.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    The +5 version of the Flail is unnecessary. Just apply the preferred fourth head and care not for the fifth.

That said, I think Mazzy is one of those characters that I prefer to see with a bow and a single handed weapon (empty offhand). You can get the nasty Short Sword of Mask quite easily, that's one of the better short swords around. Plus, since she's a straight fighter, she can use Ilbartha in another slot for quick Mirror Image buffs. Arbane's haste isn't necessary as she has her own haste spell anyway! :P
    @AHF yeah that is the sword i was talking about (didnt remember the exact name) unless its bugged, it doesnt add an extra attack per round, it just has no speed factor, plus its only a +2 weapon, so those bigger and stronger baddies wont be affected by it and things
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Kundane most definitely adds an extra APR - it's the thing that makes it one of the best weapons in the game in the first place! ;)

And true, many monsters are immune to such "low" enchantment levels, but Kundane, just like Belm, is a weapon best used in the offhand (the APR bonus of a offhand weapon will always be transferred to the main hand, so basically, if one has 5 APR with Kundane in the offhand, 4 of those attacks will be main hand, 1 offhand)

I guess it's one of those comparison you can make with the real life "Balance" weapons which are used in the offhand by... swordsmen I guess. Kundane, Belm, Defender of Easthaven, Crom Faeyr... they are all best fit for offhand use. (and don't give me "Crom Faeyr isn't a good Offhand weapon, since it's +5, because you know Crom Faeyr actually does horrible physical damage in general, even Celestial Fury is better, and it's +3)
    sarevok57 said:

@AHF yeah that is the sword i was talking about (didnt remember the exact name) unless its bugged, it doesnt add an extra attack per round, it just has no speed factor, plus its only a +2 weapon, so those bigger and stronger baddies wont be affected by it and things

You need to actually use the sword instead of just reading the description. When you do, you will see the extra attack. As @Cheesebelly says, it absolutely functions like a short sword version of Belm.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    elminster said:

Sorry I just innately have a difficult time accepting a halfling that is not either a thief, a fighter/thief, or a cleric.

Racist!!!

J/K. I find Mazzy more interesting, because she is an outcast. Those excite and interest me a lot more than "I'm just what I should be" (here's looking at the dwarf NPC's in BG).

im not really a fan of short swords because they do piercing damage and there is quite a few enemies that are immune to piercing, i like slashing weapons, because i believe that clay golems are the only creature in the game that is immune to slashing
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Halfling fighter with shortswords? Ewwwwww!

Thats all I think of Mazzy. I remeber the manual saying that Mazzy, Hear'dalis and Edwin were the strongest NPCs you could get, but took more effort to find. The other two maybe, but Mazzy? No, she is just weaksauce, gimpfast, and craprolls, all combined into a 3 course meal.
    the manual didnt say they are the strongest, it said that these characters are harder to find yes, and that they have some special ablitlies to make up for it, and actually mazzy's invoke courage ability is awesome, plus she gets lay on hands 2 times a day, and starting at level 13 i believe she gets champions strength 2 times a day, plus she is a fighter with 18 dex, so she is going to have some bitchin AC, thats why i always start dumping points into axe, once she hits level 13 then she's not all that shabby, here is what the manual said about them: However, a few of the NPCs [Edwin, Mazzy and Haer-Dalis] are more difficult to locate. If you are persistent enough, or lucky enough, to discover these characters you will be rewarded... their abilities are well worth the trouble of finding them.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Ah ok, I never noticed Mazzy's abilities, then again I never kept her in my group.
    Mazzy can be a very effective frontline or support fighter. By late game, all the fighters are using giant strength belts anyway. Like I said, I enjoy her wielding halberds since there are so many good ones and I find it entertaining. It is also plenty deadly.
    halberd+4 wave, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited November 2012
    Give Mazzy a large shield and have the rest of the party laugh at her as she tries to balance it on her back.

Oh nevermind, that would be TOO CRUEL.

Actually, when I used her in my party I would kit her out in Dragon gear because hey, her hair is pink, and dragon gear is pink. IT MATCHES! YEA!!!!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Space_hamster An excellent reason I should say :)