Skip to content

Mod idea for brainstorming: "Let's Kill Imoen" ... (MAJOR BG2 spoilers, beware!)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited March 2017 in General Modding
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited March 2017
    Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! BG2 without Imoen = the way it should've been. I suggested a kill imoen dead at the promenade mod some time ago but was advised it would be too hard to make. This is a great alternative.

EDIT: I found that old thread of mine: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/62947/how-about-a-kill-imoen-dead-mod , there may be some useful ideas there, including one person's description of the creation of such a mod in the distant past that was, alas, lost to a Flood. (Username: God. I have many questions of a theological nature now regarding divine power and intentions. Perhaps Ao the Overgod sent that flood?)

As for helping, I'm all thumbs when it comes to coding, but I could help with the concepts and FR lore, etc.
    Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited March 2017
    I feel like these descriptions should be in spoilers.

1. I like it. But, what if, additionally...
    It was an Imoen can die mod. That is, she has a chance to actually die as she randomly does in bgee1 from an arrow or whatever...

Or, something is added such that it makes sense that she doesn't die. Maybe she is resurrected whenever she dies in normal circumstances. When this first happens, a dialog is initiated where she has absolutely no idea why that happens ( but we all know it's because bhaalspawn)

This can be done in conjunction with her actually dying in spellhold.

Speaking of which: maybe charname could do something to save her from perma death ( though through some kind of sacrifice)

I actually really like 3 as it might potentially help explain the delay. This guy has your soul and you seem to be dying. Even if you didn't care about imoen, it seems like you would definitely rush to get your soul back rather that dally in some random dungeon

As for helping: I'm always down. But, i couldn't make a huge commitment as I've already committed myself pretty heavily and i don't have much time as it is
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    If Imoen dies in Spellhold, it would dramatically change the feeling of going against Bodhi in Chapter 6. It's more than just to reclaim her soul. It's vengeance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2017
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Sounds like a cool idea. I don't really have any time for helping it with it unfortunately, but if anyone has any troubles with implementing it I can help them figure out whats up.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    When I first played BGII I honestly believed the Imoen in ID opening the PC's cage was a doppelganger. I was nearly shocked when I figured it is supposed to be her. (That's me and my incapability to adjust to portrait changes between the games). I mentioned this without particular reason.

I would very much like to have a "take the time pressure out" component for BGII. I would like to be able to play BGII as I did BG1 - yes, there is a main and very powerful foe out there, but no, I have no idea where so I'll start investigating things and doing quests along the way. My thoughts for a solution went into another direction, though. What if Imoen wasn't taken by the Cowled Wizards, or what if one of them manages to set her free before Irenicus takes over the Stonghold. They only warn the PC if he does magic in the streets, so taking Imoen to Spellhold and holding her there is not what her actions request, they only do it because Irenicus wants it. Second time pressure is the lanthorpe. You finally rescued Imoen and are back from the Underdark. Do you have time now to go and save Umar Hills? No, because the elven city is under attack right now. (Yes, your soul is missing and you are slowly losing to the evil inside you, but that's details). I have no own idea how to take the time pressure out for this one, though.

I have own projects that keep me more than busy, so I will not commit to another project.
    As for 1): It helps a lot if you know exactly what you want to get help with modding. If you are no modder, you could replay the Spellhold scene and note where such a change would fit into Imoen's dialogue (without changing the BGII story too much, since Bodhi is supposed to get her soul). Then all in all it's not too much work.
    edited March 2017
    edited March 2017
    Dialogues and inserting new branches of dialogue is basically all I can do for modding. What I meant is, if you specify where in Imoen's dialogue you want to have what additional lines / reply options with what consequences, and we are talking about something like "add one dialogue with the player's choice to let Imoen die", I would be willing to provide the code.
    I just don't have time (plus motivation, tbh) to go through Imoen's dialogue myself to identify the best line for interjection. And I don't have time to participate in a larger mod.

But from a player's perspective a "take the time pressure out" mod would interest me very much. I like the idea with the magic barrier.

Still, as I pointed out above, I'd even prefer a mod that takes the pressure out not because the PC should but can't go after Irenicus (more money, some quest condition has to be fulfilled, magic barrier) but also because there is no pressure because of people dying / being tortured while the PC is collecting quest items. I am aware that this would also change one of the main game story archs if Imoen would be out of the danger, so I am not expecting this idea to be very popular.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited March 2017
    2) Charname needs a reason to spend so long in chapters 2/3

The reason is already there - collect enough gold to pay for voyage. Use SCS' component if the price seems to easily affordable.

3) Charname needs a reason to complete more quests in chapter 6

Again, it's already justified by needing to level-up the party. I play with reduced kill XP rewards to balance things out, personally.

Then, when you emerge and you need to find the Rhynn Lanthorn, seal Bodhi's lair and require a different McGuffin to open it. And have this McGuffin work exactly as described above, requiring the player to finish 5 or so side-quests to advance the main quest.

Players were originally supposed to find the lanthern broken and pieces scattered across the quest strongholds. Search scripts for "lens". This would be more like UB restoration, indeed.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    What if, Imoen suck a spell from Irenicus in the open battle and turn into crystal or anything. Irenicus go to spellhold, but Imoen remains as statue, and your mission is to collect enough gold in chapter 2 to buy(or get from Bodhi, Aran or whatever for a quest) a special super scroll to turn her back to life. But the scroll is too late, and there is the room and motivation for reveange.

off: i will be very happy to finally create a mod or smthing to start the Irenicus dungeon with bg1 npc-s, i know SOD but idk.
    OOh, I like this idea. I would suggest the following changes to increase compatibility with the original BGII story: Let Imoen be turned to stone at the Promenade fight. Let the Cowled Wizards take her and Irenicus with them. Let her still be stone when the PC reaches the Spellhold. Then, for
    removing her soul
    , Irenicus would depetrify her.
    To me, this would make the time it takes to prepare and raise the needed gold etc. a *lot* easier to justify.

After that, subtledoctor's idea of "letting Imoen die" could still kick in, for those who want it. Also possible is the idea of Imoen finding her way to the temple of Lathander in Athkatla to recover (details would have to follow) while the PC hunts Irenicus into the Underdark.

@Ardanis Very interesting. I see why it was cut, though, since it seems it was meant to give the player the possibility to do all Stronghold quests before leaving for Suldanesselar (which most players will already have done in Chapter 2).
    edited March 2017
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

Alternatively, can you let the game go to chapter 2, but still delay that cut-scene? Basically, a few things happen when you leave the Promenade:

6) there is a dialogue where Jaheira insults you

If we could disentangle those - triggering 1) and 5) and 6) when you reach the slums

Well, that's actually the first lovetalk of the Jaheira romance.
    Ardanis said:

The reason is already there - collect enough gold to pay for voyage. Use SCS' component if the price seems to easily affordable.

I really like that. I use the 100k option. Also has a side effect of making CHARNAME's outrage at the sum more believable.

The SCS solution is a band-aid on a fracture. IMHO the story doesn't need a band-aid, it needs a splint.

As you pointed out, there's already a perfectly valid reason. I find it entirely believable that there are a great many costly bribes necessary to make an illegal organization (either one) go against what is basically a government agency, and anyone else you could find either is incapable or unwilling to help.

It's just that the reason is RAPIDLY eliminated by a gameplay/plot desync. Also the MANY lines that are variations of "Yeah, yeah, I need to do your quest to get money to (free Imoen/chase Irenicus), so how much are you paying me?" also gives a disconnect when you're walking around with 200k gold as you're cleaning house, righting wrongs, and otherwise fighting For Great Justice.

That said, this mod's really not for me unless it was done REALLY well. On the one hand, an excuse to axe an NPC means one less for me to agonize over keeping (And I'm kind of soft on Nalia's naive idealism anyways (Well, except now that I think about it, I despise her idle voiceover)), plus it just rubs me wrong that she's a mage. I know all the powergaming is to turn her into a T->F, but I'd rather she have just stayed Pure Thief.

On the other hand, she's one of only 2 links to BG1 that remain with me in BG2/ToB (I give Minsc the boot very quickly, as soon as I get to Chap 2 in vanilla. With UB mod, as soon as I've done his quest), plus, well, I find it unsettling to consider going through all the trouble of getting to Spellhold to rescue her, only to find her dead and unraisable. Oh yeah, plus it kind of makes Imoen mods irrelevant.

After that... I think there is a cut-scene where she's walking around Spellhold and talking to Irenicus? I forget, it's been so long since I played through the game.

She has 1 line in the Chapter 2->Chap 3 cutscene when Irenicus breaks loose from his containment.
    Believe it goes like this:
    Irenicus: Hello little one, you and I have a great deal to do.
    Imoen: What...what are you going to do?
    Irenicus: Not to worry. Nothing worse than I plan to do to your friend.

I guess you could leave the next Irenicus/Imoen Spellhold cutscene alone (where he removes her soul).
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Imoen is an interesting case isn't she? An afterthought in the first game, and intended as a sacrificial plot device in the second... yet people kind've liked her and so the story changed.

The odd thing is that as players we'll have to actively choose to subject ourselves to this tragedy not just by installing the mod but also through dialogue, as if we could adjust the game's genre through conversation choices. This seems rather interesting, almost like how a future Planescape game could reflect players' individual desires & playstyles in its setting...

That said I think that this is a good idea which fills a well-known hole in BG2's plot for the roleplayers among us, and well worth doing. Hope to hear more about it!

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Mantis37 said:

Imoen is an interesting case isn't she? An afterthought in the first game, and intended as a sacrificial plot device in the second... yet people kind've liked her and so the story changed.

The odd thing is that as players we'll have to actively choose to subject ourselves to this tragedy not just by installing the mod but also through dialogue, as if we could adjust the game's genre through conversation choices. This seems rather interesting, almost like how a future Planescape game could reflect players' individual desires & playstyles in its setting...

That said I think that this is a good idea which fills a well-known hole in BG2's plot for the roleplayers among us, and well worth doing. Hope to hear more about it!

Even more hilarious, Imoen was finally planned to actually have a larger in ToB, and then a small error in the engine prevented all her lines from firing.
    edited March 2017
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited March 2017
    jastey said:

OOh, I like this idea. I would suggest the following changes to increase compatibility with the original BGII story: Let Imoen be turned to stone at the Promenade fight. Let the Cowled Wizards take her and Irenicus with them. Let her still be stone when the PC reaches the Spellhold. Then, for

removing her soul
    To me, this would make the time it takes to prepare and raise the needed gold etc. a *lot* easier to justify.

After that, subtledoctor's idea of "letting Imoen die" could still kick in, for those who want it. Also possible is the idea of Imoen finding her way to the temple of Lathander in Athkatla to recover (details would have to follow) while the PC hunts Irenicus into the Underdark.

@Ardanis Very interesting. I see why it was cut, though, since it seems it was meant to give the player the possibility to do all Stronghold quests before leaving for Suldanesselar (which most players will already have done in Chapter 2).
    Okay, this dovetails with an idea I had when thinking over a Clara/Hexxat mod. When Clara dies, she could drop not only her equipment but her corpse. One could then take the corpse to an appropriate temple (Oghma or Ilmater could work) for a "special" spell to return her to life. The beauty of this is that it could also be used for Montaron, Xzar, and Ajantis as well. Perhaps this mechanism would work for Imoen and maybe Yoshimo? I have neither time nor skill to write this any time soon, so I offer this idea to the community, free of charge.
    You could even combine the two. Make Imeon drop dead in Spellhold, give the player a 40 pd corpse he has to carry through the maze (? I really should re-play this part of the game, it's embarrassing I don't remember the exact chain of events any more), then the possibility to revive her at a temple. Then again the player's choice: can she join right away or is she too weak and needs rest while the PC goes chasing Irenicus? Maybe she needs more rest and makes her way back to Athkatla while the PC scours the Underdark.
    Reviving her would not even contradict her being a Bhaalspawn (who should die permanently), because she doesn't have her godly soul! (Whether she should be resurrectable after such a long pause and without a soul etc.pp. that's details.)

@subtledoctor How did you decompile the dlg? Because with WeiDU it usually gives the code as well as the text lines which is easier to read.

My suggestion would be to make the interjection into state 19, after the dialogue played out, before the player has to decide whether to let her join or leave. Because the dialogue is good information about what Irenicus did, Imoen's heritage and the info that they both will die if they don't have their souls, and it makes most sense to let it play in Spellhold. In state 19 Imoen says: ~If we don't reverse what was done... if we don't restore our souls... we will probably both die. ~ which would be a good transiton line imho. :) In this case, I'd use INTERJECT.
    If you want to go your way (where the dialogue could be skipped), it's also possible to insert a new state with WEIGHT that plays before the original trigger line:

APPEND IMOEN2 IF WEIGHT #-1 ~True()~ THEN imoen_can_die SAY ~Unhh...~ ++ ~Imoen! Looks like you're recovering from whatever was affecting you earlier.~ + 1 //Imoen's original first line ++ ~Imoen! You seem like you're slipping away!~ + imoen_can_die_01 END IF ~~ THEN imoen_can_die_01 SAY ~Feel so... empty... can't hold on...~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~Kill(Myself)~ EXIT END END //APPEND IMOEN2
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Some nice ideas in this thread, my dream would be:

1) Timer on rescue Imoen; depending on how long you take - Imoen is fine, mad or would have died (but Bodhi turned her into a vampire). An option on install to set a timer at various lengths or simply choose one of the above.

2) When you rescue her - it would play out much the same as original - add a few crazy lines which increase as her sanity slips away - Cadderly or someone could show-up later or something and take her away. Vampire option - she could act totally normal at first, then at some easy to code point - she can surprise everyone.

(n.b. for me the 120,000 gp from scs is reason enough for early quests) - maybe add some dialogue that currently no ship will dare sail due to pirate infestation and Saemon is only one crazy enough to agree.

3) I think a good reason for more later quests (using story already there) - would be making the allies more important - perhaps doing quests will earn an ally and each ally has a unique part of the puzzle to access Bodhi's lair.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited March 2017
    fluke13 said:

Some nice ideas in this thread, my dream would be:

1) Timer on rescue Imoen; depending on how long you take - Imoen is fine, mad or would have died (but Bodhi turned her into a vampire). An option on install to set a timer at various lengths or simply choose one of the above.

2) When you rescue her - it would play out much the same as original - add a few crazy lines which increase as her sanity slips away - Cadderly or someone could show-up later or something and take her away. Vampire option - she could act totally normal at first, then at some easy to code point - she can surprise everyone.

(n.b. for me the 120,000 gp from scs is reason enough for early quests) - maybe add some dialogue that currently no ship will dare sail due to pirate infestation and Saemon is only one crazy enough to agree.

3) I think a good reason for more later quests (using story already there) - would be making the allies more important - perhaps doing quests will earn an ally and each ally has a unique part of the puzzle to access Bodhi's lair.

I love this!!! One problem is that it would be hard for her to hide her vampirism ( the sun and all...)

Wait: when do you enter the underdark? I haven't done a playthrough in a long time. What's the sequence of events after you rescue her?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    this could be interesting in a keeping yoshimo run. imoen dies and yoshimo stays her replacement for the rest of the game.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    @Grammarsalad so you have 2 choices, straight to underdark or simons ship. Vampire Immy could be very persuasive about taking the direct route.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited April 2017
    The random dying has something to it ,after being drained, by Big I. Like Melicamp's chance being de-
    fowled. Sometimes he makes it, sometimes he doesn't. And since CHARNAME is more adjusted to the fact of who he is already it makes sense he would automatically survive the de-souling(at least better chance than Immy).

Speaking of Imoen dying, it is an interesting idea, I have few character backgrounds that take her anyway.

But one thing that bugs me about her is that she is capable of being raised from the dead or de-petrified. How is this possible when CHARNAME is toast after both of these. Now I always assumed, like with Saervok, the soul automatically returns to Bhaalswamp or wherever.

It is not like CHARNAME is anymore aware of his real father than Imoen is at the beginning, so that would throw out the ol 'Imoen is innocent' mess. I mean if a LG Paladin can start and not be raised. Even AFTER finding out she can be raised. So, with that in mind, I think it is high time she gets treated like the real Bhaalspawn that she is.

Option 1)' I feel so cold ' croak, bit. Heck it might even make CHARNAME haul his butt a little faster to get done with things(well, if we did not know how the real game timer worked, but still).
    The poisoning assassins in BG always has me remembering not to do much else before finding the antidote.

Given my previous thoughts above I would find it pretty darn hard NOT to press that 'urk' button. Just... well, just cause.

Anyway, I wonder if this was even given a thought when BG was first developed? I know she was a late addition.

Come to think of , the McMuffin I'd like to find would be the item that would ALLOW the CHARNAME to be raised or whatnot. Would be great to see another in the party do what CHARNAME does for them often. Course with that we get into the whole notion of WHICH NPC's would do that deed, OR, just tell CHARNAME, "I guess you ain't gonna be needin those sneakers anymore, are you."

Before I understood the whole soul bit upon gettn killed ,with good characters in the group (or bad), that could not even take the time to drag me by the leg to the nearest temple got me fired up about them (why you dirty no good, backstabbin, selfish, so in so's).
    Post edited by Zaghoul on
    edited April 2017
    jastey said:

Let Imoen be turned to stone at the Promenade fight. Let the Cowled Wizards take her and Irenicus with them. Let her still be stone when the PC reaches the Spellhold. Then, for

removing her soul
    Just for info: I am working on a small mod that changes the cutscenes to Imoen being petrified starting from the Promenade fight scene until the PC enters the ship to Brynnlaw. Imoen will be stone until PC sets sail, meaning all tests Irenicus does with Imoen will start when the group reaches Brynnlaw (which is later than in the original game). The PC doesn't know these things, of course, but the player does and while playing it takes some of the time pressure to rush to her rescue.

Would anyone be interested in this, too?