Skip to content

Truly Evil (Rampaging mass murderer)? (spoilers)

So, ever since playing this many many years ago, I always had trouble choosing anything but a good protagonist - I just can't identify being evil with myself - or more importantly, the game dynamics.

Now I have decided there is only one way to do it, and I was wondering if anyone has done it before, or if it will even be possible...

The premise is:

Core rules
Probably No XP Cap (maybe, or perhaps limited, depending on the difficulty without this)
Solo (no other NPC's would ever want to associate with me, even the evil ones).
Bounty Hunter Dualed to Fighter as soon as UAI enabled. (probably around the time of a very large XP event in BG2.)
Everybody dies ... - I mean everybody ... that isn't absolutely game breaking if dead.
That means:
-No merchants - no buying or selling.
-No NPC's (they'll all be dead).
-No sidequests (unless I am forced into talking, in which case they will be dead as soon as the quest is complete, or maybe sooner).
-No items other than what I find/steal/loot from corpses. (Other than anything else, no potion case is going to be a kick in the teeth)

Without an XP cap, soloing through BG1 should give me enough XP (if I can even get out of Candlekeep...), hopefully to start BG2 at a reasonable level, where I am thinking things will get an awful lot harder. Quest XP then kicks in and the levels will become a lot harder to come by from just murdering commoners and kobolds etc.

UAI will make my end game fighter an absolute tank, but will I be able to get enough XP to get these levels, or even any of the games best items without quests and merchants?

Opinions? :)

Comments

• DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited April 2017
    Unless you keep a million save files, I am thinking you will run into a game-breaking "bug" sooner or later.

Also, reputation 1 at level 1 = you will be doing a lot of running, because you will be attacked by high level flaming fist soldiers every time you enter a town. Can you wait with killing those until you reach a higher level, or do you have to try as soon as you encounter them? Because if you cant wait, I'd say that will be the end of the adventure right there.

I think the amount of micromanaging necessary to avoid both fates will spoil any fun. Maybe you should reach 161 000 XP and complete most major quests and THEN go on a murderous rampage?

Edit: Actually, you know what? Just pick up a copy of Syndicate instead, and mow down people with a minigun.

• redukereduke Member Posts: 8
    DrakeICN said:

Unless you keep a million save files, I am thinking you will run into a game-breaking "bug" sooner or later.

Definitely planning on saving a lot...
    DrakeICN said:

you will be attacked by high level flaming fist soldiers every time you enter a town.

Is this every town? I always assumed it was just BG/Athkatla
    DrakeICN said:

Can you wait with killing those until you reach a higher level.

My murderer can still have a sense of fear ;)
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Flaming Fist attacks you in Friendly Arm's Inn and Beregost as well.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    For RP reasons, make a low str char, like a wizard or thief, and then keeper yourself the werewolf ability from the shapechanger class, as a substitute early game slayer ability. Then you can play Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. First, you are all friendly and shit, then suddenly, you turn into a monster and kill everyone. Then you turn back, panics, and have increasingly insane monologues. Plus points for writing "Please stop me before I kill again" in blood at the crime scene. Use for avatar the mr Muscle Guy.

• dibdib Member Posts: 384
    reduke said:

(if I can even get out of Candlekeep...)

I think if you aggro on anyone in Candlekeep at the start of the game, Gorion is gonna zap you.

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    It would be a good idea to start your murder spree after you leave Candlekeep... Just pretend Gorion's death drove you insane.
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    You can survive a murderous rampage in BG1. IIRC isn't it impossible in BG2 where the guards just keep spawning and there aren't tons of fields for you to run around in. Most of the early game is Athkatla.

You can survive a murderous rampage in BG1. IIRC isn't it impossible in BG2 where the guards just keep spawning and there aren't tons of fields for you to run around in. Most of the early game is Athkatla.

The guards stop spawning after you've killed them enough times. There's even sort of a "boss" when the last group spawns (some lady that casts timestop and other nasty stuff).
    edited April 2017
    That's Zallanora a lore character I think. But that's cowled wizards though, who will stop if you kill enough of them. The regular guards just keep coming don't they. I also don't think it's possible to beat Zallanora in the early game.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited April 2017
    In the PnP game, Zallanora is

a small-time elven wizard whose body has been permanently possessed by "the most ruthless, evil dictator-mage who ever stalked the Realms:" Shoon VII, former emperor of Calimshan to the south. He's a 36th level male necromancer and demi-lich with access to pretty much any magic items or spells he wants. He's got like a century as an emperor and a thousand years as a lich under his belt, and lots of time in demi-lich form, too, trapped in a place with nothing to do but plot and rehearse.

So, yeah, don't piss her off.
    Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
    edited April 2017

That's Zallanora a lore character I think. But that's cowled wizards though, who will stop if you kill enough of them. The regular guards just keep coming don't they. I also don't think it's possible to beat Zallanora in the early game.

Right you are! But I'm pretty sure you can kill all the guards as well, and like the CW a special encounter is spawned the last time they show up.

For Zallanora, I remember you have to either immobilize her (stun or other effects) or kill her very very fast, otherwise she instantly teleports away and you never see her again. As long as you have a Protection from Magic scroll and some way to stun her, you could probably kill her at any level.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    I never knew about Zallanora. Never tried to fight my way through all those guards. So, does she come with any interesting items, scrolls, or amount of EXP ?
    @rrchristensen Had to check her up since I couldn't recall, seems like you get like 6000 xp and no items. So it's mostly just the satisfaction of knowing you could kill her. :tongue:
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Is it sad that I was just waiting for @sarevok57 's contribution to this thread?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Quartz said:

Is it sad that I was just waiting for @sarevok57 's contribution to this thread?

hahahhahahha not at all

it's actually kind of ironic really, I remember waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day when I used to use cheats just for the lulz, and make super characters with shadow/sword coast keeper, and destroy worlds, I found some pretty interesting items in some interesting places, to this day I may never have known where some of those better items were if it wasn't for those silly runs

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    dib said:

reduke said:

(if I can even get out of Candlekeep...)

I think if you aggro on anyone in Candlekeep at the start of the game, Gorion is gonna zap you.
    Yes, he will.

I did this with an archer I was gonna rush through BG1 and just wanted to max the EXP gains early on, so cleaned out Candlekeep and was level 3 very early on but without any way to charm-scum Gorion to force dialogue, which I saw in a very hilarious Sorcerer playthrough recently (You who wrote that, if you see this you should link to your playthrough here! Sorry for not remembering your name.), I had to fake-recruit Gorion into the team with the ctrl code.

It had a very funny side-effect though. I ctrl-J'd out of candlekeep and could continue to roam the sword coast with Gorion in my party since the Sarevok slaughter fest never triggered. Since Gorion lived I never got the advice to go to friendly arms inn and instead the character murdered her way quickly through BG1. Had to console in some characters for when triggers didn't work properly etc. Gorion had like 200 HP so he was my tank for quite some time until he finally bit the dust. Pretty decent HP for a mage, hehe.. He must have had very lucky rolls :P
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    reduke said:

Ok so I I had a little testing session last night and I now agree regarding Candlekeep - I can't even kill the special cow without getting chunked!

So I have updated my rationale slightly:

That was an amusing read.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @reduke

Good synopsis, very funny.

Any chance of you extending it?
  • redukereduke Member Posts: 8

@reduke

Good synopsis, very funny.

Any chance of you extending it?

I might do, but I am wary of embellishing it too much before I actually start the playthrough, so I can update it as I go. I am currently about a third of the way through my first run for a while and want to get it out of the way first as a refresher on items locations etc. (and so I the first time I play dragonspear I do it properly)

I am already worried about my no merchants rule - I am going to miss so much stuff... Are there any evil merchants in the game (Roger?), or would my character be able to delay his killing urge until he has robbed all the best items the store has to offer perhaps??
    @reduke Sounds like cheating, bro. It shouldn't matter if they're evil or not, they still need to die.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    dib said:

@reduke Sounds like cheating, bro. It shouldn't matter if they're evil or not, they still need to die.

"The only good merchant is a dead merchant". :p
    IIRC it was possible to kill Gorion back in the day wasn't it?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

IIRC it was possible to kill Gorion back in the day wasn't it?

yes it was, and possibly still is, but I think there is some sort of weird whacky script where if gorion dies in candlekeep your main character dies anyway