Skip to content

*True* True Sight.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
edited April 2017 in Feature Requests
I was just thinking about that spell and how it didn't make much sense the way it's implemented.

True sight should let a caster (and no one else) see through any and all illusions, including invisibility, as a continuous effect. I get that it's probably not possible to implement that in the game.

However, I think it would be a welcome change if, instead of dispelling every illusion every round, for 10 rounds, True sight dispelled every illusion twice, or three times per round. (However that could make the combat log a tad too congested). I think that would make true sight a bit more "truer". Plus...

We all know thieves can squeeze in a backstab within that 6 second delay before the next dispelling. It would also make fights against shadowdancers fairer I think (that's one of the reasons the vampiric shadowdancers in Black Pits 2 can be quite dangerous and irritating).

And there are probably more examples of enemies (or PC characters) getting away with invisibility/illusions, because of this limitation.

Thoughts?
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    I have to agree.
    But it's nothing that would not fix the name change (or simple mod).
    "Revelation" or "Divine revelation" would have been more accurate.

P.S.
    If you want I can made mod that will repair this spell.
    I can set something like:
    "Immediately reveal all enemies and dispel all spells while is True sight active."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    edited April 2017
    Edvin said:

If you want I can made mod that will repair this spell.
    I can set something like:
    "Immediately reveal all enemies and dispel all spells while is True sight active."

Sure, if you offer to do so, I won't say no. Thanks @Edvin

• It seems @Edvin has been offline for a while.

So, I'll invoke the wise: @kjeron @subtledoctor

Do you think my idea is feasible? Fair gameplay-wise?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited April 2017
    The spells already set SPLSTATE "CANNOT_TURN_INVISIBILE", it just has no inherent effect. Several SoD AI scripts check for the SPLSTATE so the creature will not use Invisibility effects, but none of the pre-SoD AI scripts check for it.
    The easiest way would be to duplicate Glitterdust's(SoD) effects, by giving enemies an Immunity to Invisibility for 7 seconds every time it fires. If that interests you :
  • Thanks, I'll give it a try; ideally it should give them immunity to illusions, but then that would make them immune to things like blindness or deafness, which doesn't make any sense, so it's an acceptable compromise regardless.
  • I'm a big fan of Spell Revisions' approach to this: apply the "detect invisible by script" effect to the caster of True Sight. So someone can cast Shadow Door, for example, but the True Sight caster can still target them with spells and attacks. (Canonically, True Sight is only supposed to affect the caster, after all.).

Interesting, then maybe I'll re-mod my game with BWS and include that mod. I hope it's compatible with SCS, though, I find it hard to play the game without it.

I'm a big fan of Spell Revisions' approach to this: apply the "detect invisible by script" effect to the caster of True Sight. So someone can cast Shadow Door, for example, but the True Sight caster can still target them with spells and attacks. (Canonically, True Sight is only supposed to affect the caster, after all.)

Unfortunately it only allows scripts to act against opponents with normal invisibility, not the player. It only allows manual actions against Improved Invisibility opponents, not Normal Invisibility opponents.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Yeah but I find that most invisible opponents break normal invisibility pretty quickly anyway. Being able to target Imp. Invisible opponents with spells is way more important when you're battling SCS mages.

To each their own - I'm currently more concerned with backstab spamming with potions of invisibility. Just depends on the setup (mods&party).