Skip to content

Rabbit nest and baby rabbits.

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
There is a rabbit nest at my parent's house. There are 8 baby rabbits inside. They are still very young. My brother and I are keeping an eye on them, but the mother rabbit seems to be doing a good job of caring for them. Her choice of location for her nest leaves something to be desired, though. It is up against a tree and right next to the chain link fence that separates my parent's yard from their neighbor's yard. Their neighbor has a dog that has been trying to get at the nest so we had to put a board up to keep him away. We initially tried to take the babies to a wildlife rehab center nearby so they would be safer, but the vet there said the babies were too young for them to take proper care of and that their best chance was with their mother. So we put the babies back in the nest and protected it from the dog. From what my brother has told me it seems like the mother is still caring for them, so that is good. I don't have any pictures, unfortunately. Maybe I can get some later...
[Deleted User]proccoronaldoThacoBellBalrog99RavenslightAnduinAerakarCrevsDaakArdanisJuliusBorisovTeflonZaghoullolienBlackraven

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    A warren, a burrow? I'm intrigued! It sounds like if you can pick up the babies... The rabbit gave birth above ground?!? Amazing! Send pics soon.
    Teflontaclane
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Adorable. Wanna take it home!
    CrevsDaakTeflonBlackraven
    Awesome nature at its best!
    CrevsDaakTeflonBlackraven
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Well, that's no ordinary rabbit. :D
    tbone1ArdanisCrevsDaakBlackraven
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Glad u took them back, might be just a 'hare' of druid in ya yet. :)

Gotta watch out for those cotton tail rabbits. ;)
    Well President Jimmy Carter sure had to. Here's a little minute n half clip.

todayingeorgiahistory.org/content/jimmy-carter-rabbit-episode

Balrog99TeflonCrevsDaakBlackraven
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Speaking of Watership Down, Richard Adams passed away in December last year, on the same day as Carrie Fisher so it went largely unnoticed. Two of the last victims of the Great Celebrity Extinction of 2016. :cry:
    TeflonJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited May 2017
    :love:
    RavenslightCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovArdanis
    How are they not eaten by foxes or badgers? Does North America even have badgers?

Hell, they look tasty to me and I only eat rabbit occasionally!
    CrevsDaak
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @Anduin No badgers in this area. There are a few foxes around, and maybe a few coyotes, but they are not plentiful enough in my area to be a major source of rabbit casualty. Aside from human related fatalities (cars, pets) the most plentiful predators of rabbits in my area are raptors (birds of prey), and they don't typically go digging for their food. This is a well developed urban/suburban area so there aren't many predators around. If it were more of a wilderness area, it would be a different story as there are a large variety of potential rabbit predators that are native to this region, including foxes, coyotes, wolves, snakes, bobcats, lynxes, black bears, raptors, weasels, and likely others.
    CrevsDaaklolienAnduinJuliusBorisov
    Fascinating! I love this stuff. This is a personalised wiki on rabbits. Cool!

I presume they must be an important source of food in the wild... And that long list of carnivores just shows that there must be a plentiful supply of food lower down the food chain.

I know that you said that mother rabbits choice of nest site was poor... But I'm beginning to think it was genius...

Plus you now need to do a playthrough as a druid or a neutral wizard...
    JuliusBorisovBalrog99CrevsDaak
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @tbone1 LOL! I enjoyed that immensely. Have a promote on the house!
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovAerakar
    Watership down... The first cartoon that left me an emotional wreck...

Bright eyes, burning like fire... How could the eyes that burned so brightly suddenly turn so pale... Bright eyes...
    ThacoBellronaldoZaghoulCrevsDaak
    It would be interesting to see a remake using today's movie tech for Watership Down. True remake, not one of those 'jokey, feel good all the time' things that kids movies have morphed into. General Woundwort alone and the 'Death' rabbit would be pretty awesome looking.
    Montresor_SP
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I've had the same experience with bird's nests. You just hope that the parent's experience leads to more little ones in the future!
    @Tresset Ifin you spot a horned Al-mi'raj, make SURE to get a pic, hehheh. ;)
    Anduin