Skip to content

[MOD] Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options (for all EE games patched to v2.0 or higher)

Comments

• FelipefplFelipefpl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 124
    Thank you! Could you also translate the new setup lines found in the devel branch?

Sure, here it is.

Btw, could you please check to see if the letters with accents are displayed properly during the installation? I forgot to request this when i submitted my translation for Luremaster.

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    Felipefpl wrote: »
    Thank you! Could you also translate the new setup lines found in the devel branch?

Sure, here it is.

Btw, could you please check to see if the letters with accents are displayed properly during the installation? I forgot to request this when i submitted my translation for Luremaster.

Thanks.

Setup lines encoded in UTF-8 should work well with recent WeiDU versions. That is only an issue if you're still running Windows XP which requires the legacy version of WeiDU to install mods.
  • FelipefplFelipefpl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 124
    Thanks.

Setup lines encoded in UTF-8 should work well with recent WeiDU versions. That is only an issue if you're still running Windows XP which requires the legacy version of WeiDU to install mods.

You're welcome, good to know it'll work. :)
  • JohnBobJohnBob Member Posts: 128
    edited September 2023
    Sorry to pop up !

But I would like some clarification about :
    argent77 wrote: »

According to what you're saying, EE-only mods encoded in UTF8 no longer need to avoid accents and symbols for DOS window prompts.

Exept for WinXP and the use of Weidu legacy ?

But mods compatible with vanilla games and encoded in ANSI or mods compatible with both encoded to ANSI and using Handle_Charset still need to avoid accents and symbols for the text displayed on Weidu Prompt DOS windows ?

So the setup.tra for Hidden_Gameplay option should be in UTF8 and could have the accents restored for the french translation ? (or maybe not if some users still use WinXP...)
    edited September 2023
    JohnBob wrote: »
    Sorry to pop up !

But I would like some clarification about :
    argent77 wrote: »

According to what you're saying, EE-only mods encoded in UTF8 no longer need to avoid accents and symbols for DOS window prompts.

Exept for WinXP and the use of Weidu legacy ?

But mods compatible with vanilla games and encoded in ANSI or mods compatible with both encoded to ANSI and using Handle_Charset still need to avoid accents and symbols for the text displayed on Weidu Prompt DOS windows ?

So the setup.tra for Hidden_Gameplay option should be in UTF8 and could have the accents restored for the french translation ? (or maybe not if some users still use WinXP...)

I can only speak from my own experiences with character encoding in the Windows Console (tested on several different Windows 10 and 11 machines). UTF-8 seems to be decoded correctly, at least for Latin-based and Cyrillic languages (see screenshots below). Asian languages aren't properly displayed, but that's probably because I lack the right fonts for these languages.
    rap8pud7opvk.png

rmsycsd02h4m.png

Legacy WeiDU still seems to be ASCII-only, or requires the right DOS code page for using special characters.

Edit: The above note is only true for WeiDU printing text to the console. Printing UTF-8 encoded text directly to the console (e.g. with the "more" command) still doesn't work correctly unless you explicitly enable it in the Windows Region Settings.
    Thanks for the confirmation, I've just run a few tests and indeed the accents and symbols display properly, even for the weidu prompt !

It's a good news, of course we'll have to be careful with vanilla-compatible mods.

I'll spread the word on the French forum, there may be some translation updates to do for a few mods.
    New release: Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options v4.3

Changelog:
    • Improved compatibility of "Improved Cheat Menu" with Iwdification and SCS
    • Added support for BG2EE version of Pecca's Dragonspear UI++
    • Added compatibility checks for Pecca's Infinity UI
    • Added compatibility checks for K4f4r's Classic BG UI
    • Added compatibility checks for Tipun's User Interface
    • Updated French translation (thanks JohnBob)
    • Updated Brazilian Portuguese translation (thanks Felipe)
  • mledmled Member Posts: 46
    I'd avoid using non ASCII (7 bits) in strings show by the weidu CLI (component names). They may show OK in the terminal, but with in my experience, weidu still writes to weidu.log in whatever encoding you provided it.
    So with a mix of CPXXX, winXXXX (I won't call them ANSI, ANSI is not an encoding, it's a family of encodings and also a standardization organism that happens to have standardized charsets) etc. and UTF8, your weidu.log ends up a mess of different encodings.
    Not very important for many I guess, but I happen to parse weidu.log files so I notice :p
    mled wrote: »
    I'd avoid using non ASCII (7 bits) in strings show by the weidu CLI (component names). They may show OK in the terminal, but with in my experience, weidu still writes to weidu.log in whatever encoding you provided it.
    So with a mix of CPXXX, winXXXX (I won't call them ANSI, ANSI is not an encoding, it's a family of encodings and also a standardization organism that happens to have standardized charsets) etc. and UTF8, your weidu.log ends up a mess of different encodings.
    Not very important for many I guess, but I happen to parse weidu.log files so I notice :p

I agree with you in principle. But in practice many mods already use all kinds of different character encodings for the setup strings (either intentionally or just by accident) which makes it difficult to read mod component names in the WeiDU.log.

Switching to UTF-8 would at least eliminate the wild mix of incompatible ANSI encodings. Moreover, UTF-8 is binary compatible with 7-bit ASCII, so it would actually improve readability of the WeiDU.log if everyone would drop ANSI-encoded lines in favor of either UTF-8 or 7-bit ASCII.
  • mledmled Member Posts: 46
    Of course, now that I think about it, using ascii only helps (in my case) because I only use English mods (mostly in ascii) and french mods and... french translator seem to voluntarily limit themselves to ascii :D
    It's always interesting to have more details !

The main problem with non-English translations remain the game itself, since vanilla game have to be ANSI or else specifics encoding for some countries and Enhanced Edition need UTF8 for everyone.

In the end, installation prompts and texts in the DOS window or weidu.log are a very minor issue.
    New release: Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options v4.4

Changelog:
    • Added Italian translation (thanks Zaramorte)
  • StrahdZarovichStrahdZarovich Member Posts: 1
    @argent77, the Linux version does not seem to work. Unpacking the contents of the latest .zip file to the ./game directory and running ./setup-HiddenGameplayOptions returns this:
    [./setup-HiddenGameplayOptions] WeiDU version 24900

** ERROR ** [SETUP-HIDDENGAMEPLAYOPTIONS.TP2] not found.
    Make sure that you have unpacked the archive correctly and
    that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive.
    Press ENTER to exit.

Attached is the .debug file (had to add .txt for it to be an acceptable attachment).
    the Linux version does not seem to work. Unpacking the contents of the latest .zip file to the ./game directory and running ./setup-HiddenGameplayOptions returns this:
    [./setup-HiddenGameplayOptions] WeiDU version 24900

** ERROR ** [SETUP-HIDDENGAMEPLAYOPTIONS.TP2] not found.
    Make sure that you have unpacked the archive correctly and
    that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive.
    Press ENTER to exit.

Attached is the .debug file (had to add .txt for it to be an acceptable attachment).

This error is shown when the setup binary cannot find the folder of the mod. I assume that you correctly unpacked both "setup-HiddenGameplayOptions" binary and "HiddenGameplayOptions" folder from the mod archive to the game directory?

The most likely cause is that the game is installed on a case-sensitive filesystem. For the original games it could be solved by lowercasing all files and folders of the game. However, that doesn't work for the EE games, since some file names have to retain their cases to work correctly.

To solve this issue, you could either:

1) Install mods and play the game through Wine. It's not the best way to play the game but requires the least effort.

2) Or install the game on a case-insensitive filesystem. There are several ways to accomplish this (ciopfs, case folding enabled on ext4, JFS or ZFS with case-insensitive mount options, ...). This guide describes several methods how to prepare the game partition (scroll further down to find more options).
    edited January 21
    New release: Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options v4.5

Changelog:
    • Added compatibility with Pecca's Infinity UI++
    • Added Simplified Chinese translation (thanks Lewis Liu)
    • Updated Russian translation
    • Fixed positioning of Action Feedback slider in Dragonspear UI++
    • Improved installation feedback for the "Install all" component
    Post edited by argent77 on
    New release: Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options v4.6

Changelog:
    • Updated Simplified Chinese translation
    • Updated Project Infinity metadata
  • ktchongktchong Member Posts: 88
    edited February 1
    Components from Sword Coast Stratagems (SCS) and A7 Hidden Gameplay Options have a graphical conflict:

In the Gameplay options menu, the "FINE-TUNE DIFFICULTY" button overlaps with/is obstructing the "FRAME RATE" slider control. A screen capture of the Gameplay options menu is attached. The overlapping problem is right in the center of the screen.

• The "FINE-TUNE DIFFICULT" button was added by the SCS mod v35.9.

• The "FRAME RATE" button" was added by the A7 Hidden Gameplay Options mod v4.6.

• • The "UI SETTINGS" button at the bottoom was added by the Dragonspear UI++ mod v2.42, which I believe is no longer being maintained or updated. I am using the Dragonspear UI.

• Screen resolution is 1920 x 1080.

• Also posted to the G3 forums for SCS: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/37390-v35-comments-questions-report-a-bug-in-a-new-topic-not-here/ (on page 10)

qkfamomf1jns.jpg
    Thanks for the report. It looks like this is an issue with the combination of Dragonspear UI++ and SCS mods installed at the same time. Unfortunately there is no other free space where the frame rate slider could be moved to. I probably have to skip that option if both mods are detected.
    edited February 1
    Or move the "Frame Rate" slider out of the "Gameplay" option menu and into the "Graphics" option menu. After all, changing frame rate is a graphical option; and the Graphics menu has only one slider (i.e., "FONT SIZE") and lots of empty space.
    edited February 3
    What are the available values for the "Frame Rate" slider bar?

SCS's "Fine-Tune Difficulty" button is blocking the value for frames/sec. If you tell me what the available values are, I will know what value is being selected as I slide the selector through the "Frame Rate" bar.

xwvle2eezzvu.jpg
    edited February 3
    ktchong wrote: »
    What are the available values for the "Frame Rate" slider bar?

They range from 30 fps to 60 fps.
    Post edited by argent77 on
  • dreypdxdreypdx Member Posts: 21
    I love this mod! I had it working and was enjoying it - and then decided to install Bubb spell extender. Bubb installed just fine - but I have lost the debug mode stuff like add items, spells, creatures, abilities, stores, etc..
    Is there a way to get these to work together?
    dreypdx wrote: »
    I love this mod! I had it working and was enjoying it - and then decided to install Bubb spell extender. Bubb installed just fine - but I have lost the debug mode stuff like add items, spells, creatures, abilities, stores, etc..
    Is there a way to get these to work together?

I can't reproduce this issue on my system (tested on BG2EE).

Can you provide more details? Which game are you running and what's your WeiDU.log?
    New release: Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options v4.7

Changelog:
    • Fixed potential placement issues of frame rate slider if Dragonspear UI++ is installed
    Zorutar wrote: »

That's unfortunately not possible. Container and door hightlighting is handled directly by the game engine. (Afaik) there is no way to change it through regular modding.

It might work with EEex since that tool hooks directly into the game executable. You could ask in the related topic whether such a feature can be implemented.
    edited March 22
    Just installed the updated version. The frame rate slider bar is properly positioned under the Graphics menu.

ugpiypnf75b8.png
  • XmutanoXXmutanoX Member Posts: 2
    I was going to post to tell that not a single option I selected was being saved, as if I was hitting "cancel" instead of "done", but apparently is an even weirder bug.

I'm using Lefreut's enhanced UI and apparently if you select the option to reverse buttons, hitting "cancel" or "done" won't save any option I select from this mod from this mod, all other "vanilla" options will be toggled on/off and saved as intended. When you toggle reverse buttons off, it will work normally.

Also I don't know if it's intended but there isn't a frame rate slider aswell (or maybe i'm too dumb to find it on LeUI lol)
    edited March 23
    XmutanoX wrote: »
    I'm using Lefreut's enhanced UI and apparently if you select the option to reverse buttons, hitting "cancel" or "done" won't save any option I select from this mod from this mod, all other "vanilla" options will be toggled on/off and saved as intended. When you toggle reverse buttons off, it will work normally.
    The option "Reverse Buttons Positions" is introduced by Lefreut's UI and enabled by default. If you turn it off then changes to any options from the Hidden Gameplay Options mod are apparently not applied when clicking the 'Done' button.

LeUI's reverse buttons option seems to do some weird things in the UI code that (at first glance) looks potentially incompatible with other UI tweak mods. I'll look into it further. For now don't turn the Reverse Buttons option off to prevent this particular issue.

Also I don't know if it's intended but there isn't a frame rate slider aswell (or maybe i'm too dumb to find it on LeUI lol)
    That option is not compatible with LeUI and therefore skipped at installation. It's also mentioned in the readme.
  • SilentSwordSilentSword Member Posts: 45
    steam BG2EE. I install this mod after:
    "lefreuts ui",
    "EEex-v0.10.2-alpha",
    "Bubb's Spell Menu (v5.0.2)",
    "SubtleMods: Combat Skills & Proficiencies",
    "The Tweaks Anthology"

and I find nothing new in my bg2ee game option. Is it because the "EEex-v0.10.2-alpha"? since you must start the game with "InfinityLoader.exe" instead of Baldur.exe