Skip to content

Which Kensai should I choose?

2»

Comments

• karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    edited May 2017
    @Sikorsky Could you upload some printscreens when you get to SoA and ToB?

Also, you can get Wong Fei's Ioun stone, for additional HP and regeneration. It's a good helm for a Kensai, and with the ring of Gaxx, Axe of the unyielding+5, and your high CON, you can have a total of 6,6 HP regen/round.
    Post edited by karl_maulder on
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    Sikorsky said:

So I think I made the good decision with dwarf. Considering weapons that I have in mind it seems more powerfull.
    Axe of the Unyielding +5dmg/+5Thac0 + Crom Faeyr +3dmg/+5Thac0
    reg.3hp/round,
    +1CON,
    +1AC,
    10% chance for instant kill,
    +5 electrical damage,
    STR 25,
    Instantly slaying stone & clay golems, trolls and ettins.
    -2 Thac0 for off-hand (style)

Staff of Ram = +12dmg/+12Thac0
    +1d4 piercing,
    15% chance opponent is knocked back and stunned,
    +1dmg from style
    19-20 crit chance

I think now the decision is even more obvious.

From a raw damage standpoint you can't really compare to dual-wielding, because nothing compares to dual-wielding. But two-handers will have some defensive advantages that don't show up in a statistical comparison like this. For one, the quarterstaff Kensai will hit 0 speed factor really early, which makes hit-and-run kiting viable for more of the saga. For another, all two-handed weapons have slightly longer range, which lets you poke over top of a tank without exposing yourself to counterattacks. (It also makes hit-and-run kiting even easier, still.)

If I were soloing a Kensai, I'd go with a 2-hander for sure just because hit-and-run kiting is life. (Also, if I were soloing a Kensai, I'd probably be asking someone in here to put me out of my misery.) In party play with a tank to lean on, suddenly the raw damage of a dual-wielding output starts to shine more.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    Extra crit range is also a boost to damage that it's hard to truly explain without complicated math. But there is some power in dual wielding. Though it doesn't entirely close the gap that is true.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

@Sikorsky Could you upload some printscreens when you get to SoA and ToB?

Also, you can get Wong Fei's Ioun stone, for additional HP and regeneration. It's a good helm for a Kensai, and with the ring of Gaxx, Axe of the unyielding+5, and your high CON, you can have a total of 6,6 HP regen/round.

Back in the day regen on different ticks ( 1Hp per 2 seconds and 2Hp per 1 second etc) did not stack making regen stacking difficult since few of the items provide the exact same regen rates. Because of this I have never really stacked it and don't know if this is even applicable anymore. Does anyone know?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Skatan said:

Back in the day regen on different ticks ( 1Hp per 2 seconds and 2Hp per 1 second etc) did not stack making regen stacking difficult since few of the items provide the exact same regen rates. Because of this I have never really stacked it and don't know if this is even applicable anymore. Does anyone know?

Regen stacking works better in the EEs than in the original games, but I'm not sure whether it's totally fixed yet.

Skatan said:

Regen stacking works better in the EEs than in the original games, but I'm not sure whether it's totally fixed yet.
    My understanding is that the regen stacking was one of the earliest fixes in the EE, which in turn wound up providing a boost to poison (which is essentially just negative regen and suffered from the same bug and therefore became more damaging once the bug was fixed), which in turn led to the Poison Weapon nerf in 2.0.
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    [MOD] Kensai Rebalancing for BG:EE and BGII:EE (v2.6) based on the AD&D Oriental Adventures 1st edition

KENSAI: A kensai is a warrior who has been specially trained to become one with his weapon. They are deadly, fast and have been trained to go into battle without wearing armor. (Note: Despite its common name, a Kensai may use any melee weapon with which he is proficient.) Gaining and maintaining honour is also a vital part of the kensai's life; any kensai whose reputation falls below 6 loses his status in the class. Thereafter the kensai is treated as a fighter and advances in level according to the fighter class. (He loses all of the abilities he had as a kensai.)

Advantages:
    - Starts with an Armor Class of 9 at 1st level and gains an additional +1 bonus every 3 levels.
    - Gains a -1 bonus to Speed Factor every 4 levels.
    - Gains a +1 bonus to all Saving Throws.
    - Immune to fear and morale failure.
    - May use Kai ability once per day per level (starts at 1st level with one use).

KAI: All successful attacks within the next round deal maximum damage.

- 2nd level: Gains a +1 to hit and damage rolls with any melee weapon every 3 levels.
    - 3rd level: Attacks are treated as a +1 magical weapon. This enchantment improves to +2 at level 5, +3 at level 8, +4 at level 10, and +5 at level 12.

- 4th level: May meditate once per day.

MEDITATE: This ability removes fatigue as if the kensai has had a full night's sleep.

- 7th level: Gains a +2 bonus to off hand THAC0, and may cause Fear once per day.

FEAR: All enemies within a 30-ft radius must save vs. paralyzation or run away in panic for 4 rounds.

- 11th level: Gains the Whirlwind Attack ability once per day.

WHIRLWIND ATTACK: This ability allows the kensai to unleash a flurry of super-fast blows. The ability sets one's number of attacks per round to 10 but's one's THAC0 and damage suffer a 4 point penalty. The Whirlwind Attack lasts for one round and may not be used in conjunction with Kai.

- 15th level: Gains the Deathblow ability.

DEATHBLOW: This ability allows the kensai to blow through the defences of any lesser creature. The ability sets one's number of attacks per round to 1, and any creature of 10th level or lower is instantly killed when struck by the kensai. The Deathblow ability lasts of one round.

Disadvantages:
    - May not dual-class
    - May not wear any armor.
    - May not wear gauntlets or bracers.
    - May not use magical or missile weapons.
    - Alignment restricted to lawful.
    If you're open to mods and looking to make a pure Kensai anyway, I also like the Kensai rebalancing in Might and Guile.

Revised Kensai

At character creation, Kensai will begin with an innate spell ability that will let them choose a weapon. Upon casting, they are changed to a sub-kit which can reach Grand Mastery (+++++) in that weapon, and can only be proficient (+) in others. After gaining enough levels to master their weapon of focus and a fighting style or two, the kensai will be able to choose a second weapon of focus. Thereafter, they will be able to choose a new weapon of focus after reaching Grand Mastery in their current one.

Kensai thac0/damage bonuses become just damage bonuses, because they have great thac0 anyway. Their AC bonuses get better over time like a Swashbuckler's. Finally, kensai get a 0.5 bonus to APR right from 1st level, drastically increasing their offensive capabilities. The trade-off for this is having to truly devote themselves completely and permanently to their chosen weapon: kensai cannot dual-class at all. If you're into playing a kensage or a kenthief, this component is not for you. But I think it allows kensai to truly shine as a kit on its own.

Finally, upon choosing a weapon focus, the Kensai will receive a weapon from the Candlekeep armory. In some instances (weaker weapons like staff, spear, dagger) it will be a +1 magical weapon.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited May 2017
    I scrapped my dwarf kensai near the end of bg1, because I specifically felt from an RP perspective that a Dwarf simply isn't a good fit for it. They are stocky muscular tanks and they work best in armor or possibly as clerics. I don't feel a dwarf would have the agility, height or long enough limbs to be a particularly good Kensai.

That's going by stereotypes though.
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    IN R.A. Salvatore books there is dwarf Athorgate, dual wielding morningstars. His agility was very high, even Drizzt had problems with beating him. If your dwarf imersion is tank and heavy armored its all right. But in my opinion its all up to ourselves how we imagine it.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,025
    There have always been dwarven thieves in D&D since PnP days. True, these agile more dexterous dwarves would be rarer given the racial tendencies, but would exist nonetheless and probably focusing more on mechanical specialties than other more dexterous races given the racial skill bonuses. Since there are dwarven dexterous thieves, why not also dwarven dexterous warriors, e.g. F/T or kensai?

I can definitely see a dwarven kensai focused on daggers or quarterstaffs perfectly viable role-play wise, same as a F/T. But that is just me of course.

Of course dwarves as heavily armored fighters or clerics would probably be the norm. But why be the norm :)
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @Aerakar Now, if the longer weapons could just be shortened a bit to fit all the 'shorties' sprites, it would look much better. B) I mean quarterstaffs as they are now look just about ridiculous in there hands. But I hear ya.