Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit www.planescape.com to purchase and check for details. Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Official Soundtrack is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

"Best" Good Party Mage ?

13»

Comments

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 1,145
    @Zaghoul

"So I'm curious here, apart from stats, power, etc. who do people like as the best mage on a personality lvl?"

Edwin.

But I don't think you can seperate personality from stats so clearly. Or rather, seperate how a player reacts to a NPC personality.
    If Edwin wasn't the best mage in game with the highest inteligence, I doubt there would be quite so many fics written featuring him. Or as much forgiveness for his bad personality traits.

That's why IMO, Edwin is one of the best NPC's in the game because as a whole, everything fits and is coherent. Though the low dexterity is a mistake.

Whereas Imoen, who I dislike, doesn't match her stats at all. You don't get any sense of her being intelligent in the first game.
    Quite happy to be pushed to the side, grows up in the most famous library in the setting yet never bothered to study?
    Pretends she's some kind of guttersnipe?

The character when you read those stats is all over the place. It's as if there was never a writer who looked at the character and their stats.
    Wandering_Ranger
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 762
    edited May 28

Whereas Imoen, who I dislike, doesn't match her stats at all. You don't get any sense of her being intelligent in the first game.
    Quite happy to be pushed to the side, grows up in the most famous library in the setting yet never bothered to study?
    Pretends she's some kind of guttersnipe?

The character when you read those stats is all over the place. It's as if there was never a writer who looked at the character and their stats.

Since Imoen was a last-minute addition whose voice set was cobbled from a demo character, I can almost guarantee it.

And it's funny, as I now bounce back and forth between my iPad and computer, how much difference the banters in the BG1NPC mod make. The first game is so un-chatty that it seems odd, though let's remember that when the game came out in '98 or '99 it was breath-taking and revolutionary in many ways.

Post edited by tbone1 on
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member Posts: 1,242
    @UnderstandMouseMagic Interesting point and a fair point. I just tend to go with the ones that match a certain CHARNAME's personality and background for that particular run, these days for me, I go for that first. Stats a distant... somethng. Edwin just never seems to match any run for me in that sense I reckon. B) He is a well developed character, but still, I can't help myself from givin him one across the lip, the snooty Thayan that he is.

As to Immy, maybe she's just a genius that hates all that history and lore crap, hehheh. Kinda like one of those folks ya meet that's really smart but doesn't want or can't apply it the normal sense, and just does whatever they feel like at the time. Seems like it sometimes
    I thought BGNPC project helped a bit with her,I thought, still don't take her though. Same thing, rarely a match for any run I've done, and leaves when rep gets low, even though she says she'll stick by no matter what, or her background hints that anyway.

Stats can make a difference to some though, I'll agree,
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 1,145
    @Zaghoul

I would have enjoyed Imoen if she followed the "Hermione" characterisation. Best friend, can always rely on them and gives you valuable perspective/insight.
    Somebody who doesn't confuse having a favourite colour (the whole pink thing) with having a personality.

So when you meet J and K, right at the beginning, instead of over friendly, I'm so cute, you got more reserved, lets think about this a bit.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 303
    I might be. I used to have a lot of content edition mods at different times so I may remember a few of them instead. I only used tactics and oversight really for difficulty increases.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 507
    edited July 28
    @UnderstandMouseMagic re "[The whole pink thing]

Playing with Imoen I always change her Major color to Teal Blue-Green. Makes a big difference.

Mostly agree that Imoen as she actually is in the game does not even approach the huge RP significance she assumes in experiencing the BG story as Charname is encountering it. I definitely tend to invest a lot in the story of BG1 and get more Power-gamish in BG2. The whole Imoen thing in BG2 is like, who needs THIS??

Someone ought to make a Mod where Garrick has developed at some point an undying crush on Imoen and turns up in the confrontation with Yoshimo. Alas, Sweet Garrick dies gallantly, the noble Bard of legend, saving Imoen and the party from an unspeakable doom. Might make both of them more interesting RP choices!!
    tbone1
13»