Skip to content

how to fix invisible weapons for non standard races?

Is there some way to fix this issue? Gnolls only seem to use halberds and I'm playing as one. I'd like it to at least show my greatsword...but if it could somehow show when I use any weapon that would be nice.

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    edited May 2017
    All monsters who carry a weapon have the weapon as part of their animation, regardless of what is in their weapon slot. "Fixing" it would require a tremendous amount of work; even then, you would have to add attack animations for the great sword, which I don't think is possible.
  • OniDaimyoOniDaimyo Member Posts: 25
    I thought flinds used great swords? So wouldn't that be in their attack animations?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    OniDaimyo said:

I thought flinds used great swords? So wouldn't that be in their attack animations?

Yes ... so play as a Flind instead of a Gnoll, and you should be able to see your greatsword.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201

All monsters who carry a weapon have the weapon as part of their animation, regardless of what is in their weapon slot. "Fixing" it would require a tremendous amount of work; even then, you would have to add attack animations for the great sword, which I don't think is possible.

Those monsters available with different weapons are those which have different animation sets, e,g Goblin_Axe or Goblin_Bow. The weapon is part of the animation and not connected to the actual used weapon. Gnoll has but one animation "Gnoll". Unless you create a new set "Gnoll_GS" with a greatsword.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited May 2017

Those monsters available with different weapons are those which have different animation sets, e,g Goblin_Axe or Goblin_Bow. The weapon is part of the animation and not connected to the actual used weapon. Gnoll has but one animation "Gnoll". Unless you create a new set "Gnoll_GS" with a greatsword.
    Not for gnolls. Gnolls are one of the few monster animations with layered weapon animations (Hobgoblins, kobolds, and sirines also have layered weapon animations). Gnolls support two weapon animations, S1 - Long sword and HB - Halberd.
    AndreaColombo
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201

Not for gnolls. Gnolls are one of the few monster animations with layered weapon animations (Hobgoblins, kobolds, and sirines also have layered weapon animations). Gnolls support two weapon animations, S1 - Long sword and HB - Halberd.
    Yes, sorry, a Flind is a Gnoll (animation-wise) and they have the MGLN series BAMs.
    So any way to make it so a gnoll will be shown using a two handed sword? And btw the animation for gnoll is halberd and longswords. I found that out myself. Those Flind are using longswords in the animation.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited May 2017
    You can edit the animation ini file, which is 8000.INI. Change the weapon_resref from S1 to S2 (long sword to two-handed sword). That would make the gnoll sword animation function for two-handed swords instead of long swords (i.e., you can have one or the other, but not both). However, it won't increase the size of the sword in the animation or make the gnoll use two hands to wield it.

Unzip the attached file and drop the contents into your override folder. It contains an edited 8000.INI and FLIND1.ITM, which change the gnoll sword animation to S2.

https://forums.beamdog.com/uploads/editor/c5/j48twpr5tk2y.zip
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    That's pretty cool. I may do that but where is override file with steam game? AND I may also keep it the way it is. Greatsword is way slower, only does 2 points more damage and the single weapons style gives me a -2 AC which helps a lot with a barbarian. I also think magical longswords are more common?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    The game doesn't create an override folder automatically. If you don't already have one, then manually create a new sub-folder called "override" in the program folder which contains the game executable and the chitin.key file (so "override" will be alongside the existing "data", "lang", "movies" etc.)