Skip to content

BG 2- multiplayer crash on quicksave - any fix?

domdomdomdom Member Posts: 3
edited June 2017 in Troubleshooting
Playing with 3 friends. We made it through Irenicus' tutorial dungeon and passed the initial market to the graveyard district without issue. Doing the "new" content dungeon - dragomir I believe.

The game crashes when I quicksave. The quicksave remains viable & as host I don't crash, I just hang until all the clients crash out. I can re-host off of this quicksave & seems to work but not being able to save without crashing is... less than ideal.

Been scouring the net for solutions. Tried making sure nobody had party script set to none. Tried opening in single player, deleting all mp saves, and copying single player save back to mp. Tried deleting baldur.lua.

I see a lot of people have been sporadically complaining about this issue or similar for years, but I haven't found much in concrete advice for resolving. It really seems more like people show up, complain about problems, and eventually give up.

Can anyone confirm they've had success longterm playing this multi? We were really looking forward to revisiting it but at this pace I'm feeling like I'd have more success abandoning EE & loading up classic + hamachi....

:(
Post edited by domdom on

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Hi there and welcome to the forum!

Just like in the same thread on Steam, this is what I can say.

I've played with my friend from Candlekeep to Melissan on 2.3. We of course have had crashes from time to time but still have managed to do that. We have played with the SCS mod and Ascension installed, so it's even possible with mods.

Before, with a group of 4-5 players, we had played in BGEE (on 1.3).

As for the quicksave crashes, I personally haven't experienced them.

Are you using a language other than English? Does it work if you switch language? Could you provide a save in case there is something there (zip and attach it to your post). Are any of you using any mods, are any of your characters dead? Do clients have any containers in their inventories? In what order do you and clients manage characters (1-host, 2-client1? 3-client2? etc).
  • domdomdomdom Member Posts: 3
    Thanks! Hopefully you have some ideas for stuff we can try.

Quicksave zip attached in OP. We are playing English, have not tried any other language. Not using any mods, straight vanilla brand new clean installs all around. We have not played around with join order, should we try that? I've been hosting the game & my 3 friends connect in no particular order via internet lobby.

One of our NPCs is dead (Nalia). No one has found any containers yet.

Prior to this particular area (dragomir's tomb) we didn't experience any crashes, so I'm starting to wonder if that has anything to do with it?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Hi
    It looks like it's Nalia being dead. A single client crashes on save for me and raising her sees it work fine. Depending on how you want to play it your options are something like the below;

a) Use the attached save, I have consoled in a few raise dead scrolls.
    b) Head back to a temple. Hexxat will complain but there are dialogue options to say you'll do her quest soon.
    c) Use the Ctrl/R key on Nalia if you have the console enabled.

The public bug report for this issue is 24200
    Thanks
  • domdomdomdom Member Posts: 3
    Great thanks!