Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

New opinion on Shaman Spirit Dance

I rolled a ridiculous 93 on my stats for a new PC, so I decided to try a Shaman ... thinking at least I'd be a reasonable archer. At first the spirit summons are indeed pretty bad - a couple dogs, maybe a panther once in a while. But around level 13 or so, interesting spirits start showing up. There is a boar, bear, and some lesser elementals. I decided to try them out on those Golems in Windspear ... to my surprise, the spirits won! Whoa, the Iron Golem poison cloud seemed to have no effect. OK, let's go to the vampire den ... same thing, spirits win. They can't be charmed or held, and while they can be damaged by level drain, they still last a long time. And when one dies, another pops up to take its place. So far so good, then I tried the secret Mind Flayer area in the Temple Sewers. Once again, the spirits won. They were susceptible to brain drain, but when one dies another popped up almost immediately. Flayers, Ularithids, Umber Hulks - all went down whilst I danced. Those tiny earth elementals can do some big blunt damage! The trick is to scout ahead (Farsight, Pixie Dust), then summon a Dryad or something you can control, then dance until you have a rowdy group of spirits, then send the dryad just far enough to lure the enemies to the spirit posse. I think at level 18 there are even more powerful spirits ... can't wait to see what they do.

thespaceWarChiefZekemf2112ThacoBellGrond0ZaghoulBorekJuliusBorisovMathsorcererbrunardoBelgarathMTHArdulLucasIDKn8

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Nice, are you running solo or with some NPC's?

JuliusBorisov
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 5,737
    edited June 2017
    I agree that the spirit summons are pretty good when used as shown above, although if you're playing solo there are still plenty of different things that can go wrong - particularly if you're using SCS when most enemies will target the shaman in preference to spirit summons.

Information on spirit summons taken from the Adventurer's Guide:

Shamanic Dance. Beginning at 1st level the Shaman can, at will, root themselves to the spot and perform a ritualistic dance. While dancing, the Shaman takes a –4 penalty to AC and cannot attack or perform any other activity. Each round while the Shaman is dancing, there is a chance that a spirit will appear. These spirits disappear as soon as the Shaman stops dancing or when they leave the Shaman’s range of view. The Shaman does not control these spirits; they act according to their nature, helping the Shaman however they can for as long as they exist.

Spirit Call I. At 1st level, the Shaman’s dance summons minor animal spirits, such as snakes, foxes, and hounds. The chance of summoning a minor animal spirit in this way is 35%, plus 2% per level of the Shaman. The Shaman can have only two spirits in existence at a time.

Spirit Call II. At 6th level, the Shaman’s dance may also summon major animal spirits, such as bears, panthers, and boars. The Shaman can have only three spirits in existence at a time. The chances of summoning each type of spirit are shown on the table below; the Shaman has an additional 2% chance to summon a major animal spirit for every level of Shaman beyond 6th.

Spirit Call III. At 12th level, the Shaman’s dance may also summon minor air, earth, or fire spirits. The Shaman can have only four spirits in existence at a time. The chances of summoning each type of spirit are shown on the table below; the Shaman has an additional 2% chance to summon a minor elemental spirit for every level of Shaman beyond 12th.

Spirit Call IV. At 18th level, the Shaman’s dance may also summon major air, earth, or fire spirits. The Shaman can have only five spirits in existence at a time. The chances of summoning each type of spirit are shown on the table below; the Shaman has an additional 2% chance to summon a major elemental spirit for every level of Shaman beyond 18th.

No Stronghold. The Shaman is not elligible for any stronghold.
    No Multi-Classing or Dual-Classing. The Shaman may not multi-class or dual-class.

Maximum number of spirits and % Chance to Summon Minor Animal Major Animal Minor Elemental Major Elemental
    I 2 37% - - -
    II 3 20% 27% - -
    III 4 10% 20% 29% -
    IV 5 5% 10% 20% 36%

An annoying feature not in the guide is that any other type of summons you produce will reduce the number of spirit summons available, i.e. if you have a nymph at level 10 then you can only have 2 spirit summons in addition - hopefully this bug will be corrected in the next patch. There are also problems with the mechanics of the summons themselves at the moment. They are not supposed to be able to leave the shaman's sight, but currently can do so. However, that results in them not being able to fight - which can result in endless battles (at least until you stop dancing and try a different tactic).

JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTH
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 4,132
    I've got to give mention to a favorite of mine the Witchlight Shaman ( @LavaDelVortel ), different and interesting summons, NICE additions to spells, AND a stronghold in BG2. B)

Grond0JuliusBorisovmf2112
  • ArgyleArgyle Member Posts: 41
    mf2112 said:

Nice, are you running solo or with some NPC's?

I have NPC's (someone has to carry the loot), but I kept them out of the battles.

Witchlight Shaman? I'll have to check that out.

mf2112