Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit www.planescape.com to purchase and check for details. Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Official Soundtrack is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Favorite Paladin?

thespacethespace Member Posts: 981
Who do you choose to accompany you in the frozen north?

Favorite Paladin? 28 votes

Vanilla Ice - I like it old school.
3%
Arctodus 1 vote
Undead Hunter - I couldn't wait for IWDEE to come out with the kits, just for this baby!
46%
SanctiferQuartzJarlealeThacoBellRaduzielsmady3thespaceDreadKhanShikaogibby290inethcreateaccountRVNS 13 votes
Inquisitor - "A wizard, huh, I throw my drink at him."
3%
Losgorn 1 vote
Cavalier - who else would you take to ferret out the most ancient evils?
39%
ronaldomarkzakuRoznodasLuthfordBeetleNoonCalmarBalrog99Jarrakuljsavingtbone1 11 votes
Blackguard - "The blackguards are leather men, they are not made of fleshy substance."
0%
Other - ya never know with this crowd
7%
KamigoroshiZaghoul 2 votes
DreadKhan

Comments

• ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 346
    Vanilla Ice - I like it old school.
    I always use vanilla classes in IWD. I just have the feeling that kits tend to break the game otherwise. Archers, Sorcerers and Dwarven Defenders come to mind. There's so many items that give damage resistance in IWD that you can make the DD an almost unkillable character. I use kits in BG1, but we have SCS there. The day we'll have an SCS equivalent in IWD, I'll not only be one hell of a happy camper, but I'll also gladly use kits.
    thespace
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,163
    Undead Hunter - I couldn't wait for IWDEE to come out with the kits, just for this baby!
    I'd think the Undead Hunter has an edge, there are a ****-ton of Undead.
    thespaceQuartz
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 642
    A cavalier is what I always envisioned a paladin to be. I don't even equip them with throwing axes or throwing daggers.
    thespaceThacoBellArctodus
  • thespacethespace Member Posts: 981
    tbone1 said:

A cavalier is what I always envisioned a paladin to be. I don't even equip them with throwing axes or throwing daggers.

Nice!
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 1,012
    Undead Hunter.

Since I mostly play P&P in Ravenloft, I value everyone who is capable of hitting hard those profane creatures. I even created a ranger kit devoted do destroy undeads.
    thespacetbone1
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 1,983
    I just really like cavaliers. I won't argue that they're the strongest, but they feel so very much like the iconic paladin archetype.
    thespaceThacoBelltbone1Quartz
    Jarrakul said:

I just really like cavaliers. I won't argue that they're the strongest, but they feel so very much like the iconic paladin archetype.

Which is bloody ironic, since Cavalier iirc in 2nd ed is a kit that is open to warriors in general, and can in fact be evil. :/ They're like prissy noblemen or something.
    tbone1Quartz
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 3,837
    Other - ya never know with this crowd
    Fallen Paladin: the only Paladin that faced reality and pulled out the classy stick out of their arse.
    Least I want is freezing to death within the depths of Icewind Dale while listening to sermons. :p

... and Blackguards would be in a really bad mood since they cannot raze the Ten Towns to the ground. Worse still is that they must defend Kuldahar from ewul inkarnadu. As dictated by the game's script writers. Only a matter of time until said Blackguards looses it and slaughter their whole parties just for the heck of it. Not my first choice when picking up companions to travel with...
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 31
    I would say undead hunter for icewind dale. Inquisitor for bg and b2 every time though.
    thespaceQuartz
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 1,983
    edited July 14
    DreadKhan said:

Which is bloody ironic, since Cavalier iirc in 2nd ed is a kit that is open to warriors in general, and can in fact be evil. :/ They're like prissy noblemen or something.

This is true, although the lack of alignment restrictions on the Complete Fighter's Handbook Cavalier is a bit odd, since they're sworn to fight evil and uphold justice and such. They're also kind of sworn to be jerks to people of lower station, so maybe that's why?

Also, the description of the CFH cavalier contains this little gem,

Therefore, a paladin who wants to look every inch the shining knight should take the Cavalier Warrior Kit.

which... does seem vaguely demeaning to every non-kitted paladin who fits that archetype, but I suppose it's also kind of what I was saying.

It's also worth noting that the CFH Cavalier is, first and foremost, a mounted warrior, and the BG Cavalier is of course not. While some of the CFH abilities definitely relate to the BG Cavalier kit, enough that I think the line of inspiration is pretty clear, it's not clear that they're the same thing in any sense stronger than general "knight in shining armor" archetype.
    ThacoBell
  • thespacethespace Member Posts: 981
    I can't say I'm surprised at the results thus far. Thank you for participating ;)
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 668
    I like the cavalier, because I like dragonslaying and they're rather good at it. :)
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 473
    edited July 26
    Blackguard probably...But I would have gotten rid of use poison ability altogether or at least made it function a bit differently.

Once a day a blackguard can call upon his patrons power to imbue his weapon with a vile sickness something something..

Or get rid of use poison altogether and give him a unique innate summon that improves with levels.

I mean it's alright as it is, but why on earth even in pnp was using poison a decent idea for a blackguard ability? You could presume it's something every unscrupulous fighter would be clever enough to do anyway.
    batoor said:

Blackguard probably...But I would have gotten rid of use poison ability altogether or at least made it function a bit differently.

Once a day a blackguard can call upon his patrons power to imbue his weapon with a vile sickness something something..

Or get rid of use poison altogether and give him a unique innate summon that improves with levels.

I mean it's alright as it is, but why on earth even in pnp was using poison a decent idea for a blackguard ability? You could presume it's something every unscrupulous fighter would be clever enough to do anyway.

Without the Poison Use ability they would risk poisoning themselves. Iirc, there were some great poisons, especially if your DM let you use giant insect venom to make poison. Sky high damage + DC, but really expensive.

Its seen as ultra-evil in DnD to use poison. Dunno why precisely.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 118
    edited July 27
    Seeing the inquisitor fare so poorly in this poll is probably a surprise to BG2 fans who are picking up IWD for the first time. But mage battles are so simplistic in IWD that the inquisitor's ultra-powerful dispel magic ability isn't needed, whereas turn undead (which the inquisitor gives up) is actually pretty good in IWD due to the sheer number of undead in the game.

I use cavaliers, myself, mainly because IWDEE hasn't yet received the engine upgrade that lets you dual-wield while having a bow in a different weapon slot (which means he doesn't use missile weapons anyway). But undead hunters are very solid as well.