Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

How do you normally beat Firkraag?

13»

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,654
    TBH, I just had an awful time in ToB doing Dorn's quest for the first time, a bit of a double whammy showing up to curbstomp my party. When the enemy can disable a Planetar in about 1 round, you know you're going to have a very bad time of things. I'm not going to lie, I make liberal use of Hexxat's trap setting abilities to make some fights easier, but running into even Saladrex wasn't that bad, he took 1 spike trap and went hostile, but my party could take him down without any difficulty; these two were literally scripted to gain almost impervious defenses, with an auto-stoneskin and protection from Eneregy to make most of the nasty tricks ineffective. They also run around, but can't be lead away to traps very easily, and their breath weapon does over 100 damage ON NORMAL. :s These two dropped Korgan in ONE ROUND. And even a prepared PC with full Cold Resist was getting owned pretty badly. I ended up abusing archery, which narrowly won out. Hated that fight. I did it after Watcher's Keep mostly, still found it awful. How are those dragons fair!? I know you can talk them out of a fight, but yikes. Firky is a literal joke compared to that.

gorgonzolaloliendunbar
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 1,929
    edited February 12
    sadly i can't force myself to rp so evil to have dorn in the party, so i missed those dragons, i would have been really happy to try that battle...
    auto stoneskin and protection from energy nerf some tricks but not all. i can not tell more cause i don't know that battle, i am just guessing that feeblemind, flash to stone, harm, if there is a short window between stoneskins, and other tricks maybe can work and make the battle easier, as from what you tell is not something that can be easily handled by some strong warrior going point and click, thing that imo is good. also spells that disable their spell casting like the insect ones can be good if their protection are not applied using a script that overrides, and blinding them can be really effective if they have not dispel magic.
    EDIT: this is maybe one of those battles where the staff of domination i named before in the topic can work wonders. if one of the dragons can be dominated and sent to fight the other i suppose that the battle could be completely different.

lolien
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,373
    After years of just throwing the kitchen sink at dragons and wearing them down by attrition I've finally found a (rather cheesy) solution that suits me:

I do enough of WK early so that I can get a couple of wands of Spell Striking and give them to my mage who can cast Simulcrum (or a F/M with Vhailor's Helm). Then the mage uses his simulcrum to repeatedly hit the dragon with the WoSS (which doesn't use any of the charges on the original wands in the real mage's quickslots) while my hasted fighter(s) hack the lizard to pieces.

I'm not sure how well this would work on Dorn's bloody dragons though - I've only beaten them once (back in my kitchen sink days) and that was more by luck and attrition than anything else.

Skatan
  • PraxPrax Member Posts: 8
    Lower Magic Resistance
    Doom
    Blind
    Ranged weapons

13»