Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit www.planescape.com to purchase and check for details. Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Official Soundtrack is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

How do you normally beat Firkraag?

2»

Comments

• inkblowoutinkblowout Member Posts: 23
    Wow guys thanks for the tips. I've used some of those tips for fighting thaxll'ssillyia with 2 archers, 1 tank, cleric, mage and bard doing the additional damage.

The most helpful opinion is to use proper defenses spells + positioning when fighting dragons. I feel that dragons focusing on my tank while he's getting healed by clerics or by extra healing potions help a ton while the rest does a ton of damage.

And it took me the first try to beat thaxll'ssillyia. Not sure if the outcome would have been the same for frikraag but it does help a ton.
    Montresor_SPStummvonBordwehr
  • SloaneRangerSloaneRanger Member Posts: 16

Well I finally defeated Firkraag after 3 hours I think... (Thank god, he was tough.)

How do you guys normally beat him? I know some people have done it so easily with level 12 character/solo and I'm just in shock because Firkraag was hard.

The key to defeating Firkraag and all the other dragons is the Lower Resistance spell. Normally the high magic resistance of the dragons mean that physical attacks are the only effective attack. However even with the dragon killing halberd +6, that takes some doing. Lower Resistance lowers their resistance so all magic attacks fully work. Magic Missile is very effective. The combination of physical and magical attack will make short work of Firkraag and any dragon in the games. One spell is required. Two is better. Thereafter the usual tactics (buff up and summon monsters) should make the battle easy.

There is one Lower Resistance scroll in Trademeet. There are several more in ToB. Nalia and Imoen have the Intelligence to learn it. Aerie and Jan can learn it if their Intelligence is temporarily boosted with potions.

IMHO the toughest dragon is Draconis in Throne of Bhaal. Much of the difficulty with Firkraag is the relatively low level of the party when you meet him but your party are demi-gods when they meet Draconis and he is still hard to kill.
    broshimosemiticgodStummvonBordwehr
  • broshimobroshimo Member Posts: 13
    edited September 22
    Good recommendations by everyone. The ideas and tactics in this thread are great against every dragon, so in summary:

By priority of offensive spells cast, it should be
    1. (optional) Cleric's Magic Resistance
    2. Lower Resistance (multiple times recommended)
    3. Breach/Pierce Magic to remove Stoneskin
    4. Breach (if it used other defensive spells)
    5. your choice of debuffers or disablers. Greater Malison highly recommended

(option for non-hostile dragons only) If you have Aerie, have her cast the Cleric's Magic Resistance spell since it SETS magic resistance to caster level x2, ignoring target magic resistance and saves - especially useful since her cleric level isn't very high because of her multiclass.

For pre-battle defensive tactics, the only spell buff I think isn't too metagamey is Resist/Remove Fear. Have a few hasted summons available, making sure they're spaced far apart from each other (to prevent them all dying from Death Spell), and that they're closer to the dragon than your party. Spread out your party as well, otherwise they'll be knocked out by the dragon's Wing Buffet. Have everyone use a ranged weapon until Pierce Magic is cast. Make sure your Lower Resistance mage is the fastest caster (i.e. Robes of Vecna, Amulet of Power), and stagger their order. IIRC both Lower Resistance and Greater Malison are projectiles so distance and casting speed are important to note!

The dragon should be hostile after your first Lower Resistance, triggering its Stoneskin contingency. If you're against pre-battle buffing because it's too metagamey (though there are no surprise dragon encounters), this is a good time to start buffing. The great thing about hasted summons is that the dragon will use Death Spell and Remove Magic in some order, buying your melee-oriented characters a few rounds to buff and out of range from being debuffed. Once Breach/Pierce Magic* removes the dragon's Stoneskin, send in the cavalry. Sequencers containing a Greater Malison and save penalty disabler recommended. Spell redundancy is fine because the dragon might resist your spells. So most of your spells will now work. My personal favorite combo is Insect Plague (Jaheira) + Doom/Blind (Aerie via Minor Sequencer). Doing this on a dragon will make it wander around the map as if it were Horror'd - annoying but you'll escape with near 100% health!

Paladin tip: don't use Carsomyr because your hard work may be dispelled :( I learned this the hard way against Irenicus' shadow dragon.

* I remember reading somewhere that a dragon's Stoneskin is only removed via Pierce Magic. Haven't checked to confirm so I use both.

edit: wrong information and formatting
    Post edited by broshimo on
    semiticgodPermidion_Stark
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Fought him first time since my 2y break, what a blast ;-)

Easy tactics for reasonably mid level party with not that many people and not much cheesing:

1. Realize that aggro in BG2 doesn't necessarily work like aggro in MMORPG
    2. Take a mage, protect with: protection from fire, mirror image, stoneskin, protection from fear, spell immunity: abjuration
    3. Have the rest of the team way back, far beyond Firkraag's line of sight. Have them protected from fear, fire, hasted and ready. Will be faster if you invest in potions of heroism as well.
    4. Start the fight with the mage - decrease magic resistance.
    5. Dragon will buff and unleash hell on the mage, but with those protections it should be fine.
    6. Wait for the initial attacks to pass - if mage got wing buffeted away, run close again. It is imperative that the dragon focuses on the mage.
    7. Once the initial flurry of attacks has passed, join the fight with the rest of the team.
    8. Mage's role should be a) using breach asap b) minding their protection (renew mirror image and stoneskin as soon as you notice that they actually got hit with something)
    9. Dragon should be dead soon.

Bonus: it helps if the mage has already access to 6th level spells - Improved Haste and Protection from Magic Weapons are the two spells you will want to have, as they will both speed up the fight (use IH on your best warrior and protection once you run out of stoneskins).

It's a fairly simple tactics that relies on the fact that no matter how much damage the dragon gets, his attention is mainly on the spellcaster. Obviously some luck is needed but I think that if you are not going to cheese it with cloudkill or traps, this tactics gives you more than enough fighting chance. You can even summon some critters but remember to keep them next to warriors far away in the beginning of the fight. Once Firkraag concentrates on the mage, he might forget to kill them fast.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 636
    People have invented a wide range of tactics, some of which manage to kill off Dragons in 2 rounds of combat. Crazy!

For my part, I rarely put too much stock in my melee characters to take down the SoA Dragons. I position my melee characters (usually 3 of them) at different places in a triangle around Firkraag so that a wing buffet will not immediately clear the field for him to attack my spellcasters, nor encourage him to use fire breath. Lower Resistance is great; Mazzy or another archer will consistently help out in a way that your melee character cannot because they'll be quaffing potions and closing the gap after wing buffets.

My casters do much of the work by ripping Firkraag apart with Wands of Lightning which are a fantastic upgrade from Magic Missile for an occasion like this one.

Preparing for battle, resistance to fear and fire are critical. Mirror Images will spare some party members from the risk of a fire attack too if you don't have even fire proofing for everybody. Protection From Evil Radius 10' is as wonderful here as everywhere else in the game, and Defensive Harmony can provide some critical cover for your melee characters - no matter how many healing potions you have, a Dragon can quickly overwhelm any NPC if they don't attempt to wing buffet them away!

Later, strategies involving Time Stop will be valuable, and melee HLAs will allow these characters to survive and contribute more critically than they can in the early game.

This is one strategy, and it is far from foolproof. If you can hold the frontline for long enough and have more than 1 Arcane character, Greater Malison (and even Doom) can give you a plethora of new options. Some people one hit kill them with Chromatic Orb or Finger of Death, but if that isn't your thing - and Dragon fights should be lots of fun, so don't feel bad if you forego this route - you can try Glitterdust or Ray of Enfeeblement to bring the Dragon's power down to civilized levels. That allows you to proceed with a bevy of options as suits your style.
  • VitharVithar Member Posts: 67
    Have something to dispel the Stoneskin , buff your characters and place them right next to him so you can ''open'' on him 1st.
    I think melee oriented setup of heroes is better and if you have some summons near him to distract him while the knocked back ones come back to hit him.
    If you have Lightning Wands , you can use them with the casters from behind at an angle that doesn't hurt the melee guys.

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 1,326

Well I finally defeated Firkraag after 3 hours I think... (Thank god, he was tough.)

How do you guys normally beat him? I know some people have done it so easily with level 12 character/solo and I'm just in shock because Firkraag was hard.

The key to defeating Firkraag and all the other dragons is the Lower Resistance spell. Normally the high magic resistance of the dragons mean that physical attacks are the only effective attack. However even with the dragon killing halberd +6, that takes some doing. Lower Resistance lowers their resistance so all magic attacks fully work. Magic Missile is very effective. The combination of physical and magical attack will make short work of Firkraag and any dragon in the games. One spell is required. Two is better. Thereafter the usual tactics (buff up and summon monsters) should make the battle easy.

There is one Lower Resistance scroll in Trademeet. There are several more in ToB. Nalia and Imoen have the Intelligence to learn it. Aerie and Jan can learn it if their Intelligence is temporarily boosted with potions.

IMHO the toughest dragon is Draconis in Throne of Bhaal. Much of the difficulty with Firkraag is the relatively low level of the party when you meet him but your party are demi-gods when they meet Draconis and he is still hard to kill.
    There are Lower Resistant Scrolls,

In one of the chests in the room where the blind, former Unseeing Eye followers are "living", next to the room with the tomb with the Kangaax skeleton pieces (so it's free whoop, whoop)

The merchant you save from a mugger at night in the "City Gates" area sells one.

There are others dotted around, you really need it long before TOB IMO.
  • squirossquiros Member Posts: 19
    i only play vanilla bgt, so i'm not sure if this works anymore. but feeblemind replaces dragon scripts. essentially, they will lose all of their spells and innate abilities. they won't attack until half health and even then, will only use their melee attacks. feeblemind also isn't hostile (i believe this was changed) so you can cast until it succeeds. 
    semiticgod
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 161
    squiros said:

i only play vanilla bgt, so i'm not sure if this works anymore. but feeblemind replaces dragon scripts. essentially, they will lose all of their spells and innate abilities. they won't attack until half health and even then, will only use their melee attacks. feeblemind also isn't hostile (i believe this was changed) so you can cast until it succeeds. 

Not 100% sure as i don't tend to use the spell much, but i think if it works then the enemy literally just stays in 1 spot drooling on the floor and will not retaliate at all whilst you beat it to death.
    ThacoBellsemiticgod
    Borek said:

squiros said:

Not 100% sure as i don't tend to use the spell much, but i think if it works then the enemy literally just stays in 1 spot drooling on the floor and will not retaliate at all whilst you beat it to death.
    I use it and if it lands that's exactly what happens to dragons. It allows me to mess around and share out the "dragon kills" between the NPC. Then each NPC has a nice named enemy in their record to be proud of.
    Very silly I know.
    BorekPermidion_Starktbone1
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 6,305

Borek said:

squiros said:

I use it and if it lands that's exactly what happens to dragons. It allows me to mess around and share out the "dragon kills" between the NPC. Then each NPC has a nice named enemy in their record to be proud of.
    Very silly I know.
    @UnderstandMouseMagic Hah! I do that too! Everyone has to have a powerful enemy on their kill list. My character has to have the most powerful one typically. My romance has to have the second most powerful one usually.

The first time I played BG2, however, I used Feeblemind on Lavok. It took me a while to figure out why he wouldn't die. Finally I guessed he was supposed to surrender and I dispelled him.
    UnderstandMouseMagic
    edited September 26
    @Tresset

Glad I'm not the only one. :)

I might start a thread about it and ask who people see as being the most deserving of the various kills and why.

Poor Lavok, trying to do the right thing at the end and some careless Bhaalspawn comes along and feebleminds him so he can't remember WTF is going on.

"So" says Valagar, " you want to see the sky one last time?"
    "What's the sky" mumbles Lavok, " can you eat it, I'm feeling a bit peckish? And you are...?"
    Tresset
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member Posts: 1,588
    By joining him. ;) I am hoping one of our excellent modders will come up with a 'workin for the man' mod with lots more quests for master Firkraag. That would be awesome. Especially for some of us humanoid race players. B) Ogres, lil kobolds, gnolls, orcs,etc.
    ShikaoUnderstandMouseMagic
2»