Skip to content

Are You Having A Laugh?

So I have just finished a fight against a lich who summoned a fallen planateer and the comet spell...in chapter 2 at the beginning of the "pit of the faithless" in the Unseeing Eye Quest.

Obviously I must have installed the component in SCS, "the world and his wife have HLA" but really don't remember doing that.

As I watched the comet heading my way I had a proper,
"You have got to be f*cking kidding" moment from "The Thing". Though I've never had the chance to use it quite so aptly in BG before.
ShikaoThacoBellAedantbone1Noobaccarosetyler

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I may be having a laugh, yes.
    tbone1
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    LOL XD
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    ThacoBell said:

I may be having a laugh, yes.

"Laugh it up fuzzball".

Your lack of sympathy is touching. :p

I'm sure you'll be absolutely delighted to learn that I did actually manage to kill the cheating so and so (admitedly by running away a lot through doors, though the damned Planateer didn't let that stop them).
    ThacoBelltbone1
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    edited August 2017
    There is component of SCS that let's every mage of high enough level have HLAs. I'm sorry, man. :/
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Maximum-level encounters + HLAs for all high-level casters = good luck. You'll need it.

Seriously speaking though, it's a really bad idea (or a devilish challenge depending on your tastes) to install both. Even the mod itself discourages it.
    Artona
    @Artona and @Artemius_I

The problem is I don't think I did install those components. I've seen the warnings and happy to go along with the advice. My whole installation is in a mess (I keep moaning about it but am loath to actually try and do something about it) and I'm simply hanging on and putting up with what goes wrong.

For instance, Deidre from the Adventurers Mart has gone forever, don't know where, because at one point I installed "delay bonus merchants". And then the ROV turned up in Watchers Keep. And that I know I didn't install.
    So this run, consoled it in and donated the cost to a temple

So the lich being super charged was somewhat unexpected. Never happened before, have to see if it happens again.

Does make it interesting though, the randomness.
    tbone1ThacoBell
    Well I met two more super charged liches in the Shadow Temple.
    Joy.

But no bone golems.
    Maybe the dragon was feeling peckish?

tbone1ThacoBell
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

But no bone golems.
    Maybe the dragon was feeling peckish?

Or the vampire wolves got to them, casting a 3/day innate ability, NomNomNom on Undead.
    UnderstandMouseMagic
    One thing that that occured to me because of this (apart from Dark Planateers being psycho).

Comet is a really horrible, nasty spell and it can be cast really fast and there's not a lot you can do about it.
    Except stand, watch and die.

Probably got it's inspiration from all the disaster movies directed by Roland Emmerich (or was it vice versa). Which is fine but they should have put John Cusack in the game and allowed him the HLA "Outrun Comets" to level things up.
    Shikaotbone1ThacoBell
    OK, this getting well out of order.

All the bloody spellcasters I'm meeting are at it as well.

Tolgaras in the Planar Sphere, Shandalar and the other one who usually casts a pit demon (mind you, about time she figured that wasn't a good idea as it usually turns on her) in the Twisted Rune.

This wasn't even a serious playthrough, I only started it because I had a solo archer from BG and wanted to see how she would work out in BG2 using Edwin to provide front liners/cannon fodder so I could enjoy shooting stuff.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Maybe time for a clean install.
    Grond0 said:

One question did arise, how does Kangaax get scared?
    He's a demilich, a floating skull. Don't you need an endocrine system to feel fear?

He'd indeed be immune to fear, but even demi-liches can suffer a morale failure as their cunning plans laid over centuries unravel in front of their eye-sockets B).
    More likely embarrassment.

Edwin has a stack of spells but hits like a girl.

I don't really know what to do other than use spell immunity and throw MM's at him. Must be galling being on the recieving end of that barrage of pretty ineffective light taps. Just happens to be lots of them. And one splurge from the ring of the ram.

Come to think of it reading that back, the MM sweets would probably do nearly as much damage.
    tbone1
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Even a solo mage can kill Kangaxx with only MMMs, but you're right that it's a bit of a grind trying to outpace his regeneration. For warrior types the bonus damage from Daystar bypasses his physical resistance and makes very short work of him.
    tbone1UnderstandMouseMagic
    Grond0 said:

Even a solo mage can kill Kangaxx with only MMMs, but you're right that it's a bit of a grind trying to outpace his regeneration. For warrior types the bonus damage from Daystar bypasses his physical resistance and makes very short work of him.

The problem is that if anybody goes near him with SCS he targets them.
    Without SCS you could get somebody dealing damage as well as your mage as long as you stood further away.
    I had daystar and I suppose I could have timed it?
    Run in just after his last spell and then run away?

But decided to play it safe, kept my charname in the furtherest corner out of sight and hopefully out of mind.
    Until he panicked.

Do any spells work at all on Kangaax?
  • Joan_DaroJoan_Daro Member Posts: 112

Grond0 said:

The problem is that if anybody goes near him with SCS he targets them.
    Without SCS you could get somebody dealing damage as well as your mage as long as you stood further away.
    I had daystar and I suppose I could have timed it?
    Run in just after his last spell and then run away?

But decided to play it safe, kept my charname in the furtherest corner out of sight and hopefully out of mind.
    Until he panicked.

Do any spells work at all on Kangaax?
    Well actually if you have *everything* in SCS installed then there is something preventing him from casting disintegrate on your charname. He would cast it randomly on anyone else, and as long as there is another target, he ignores charname.
    HLAs like dragon breath work on Kangaxx.
    tbone1
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    In his standard form Kangaxx is immune to level 5 and below spells, while in demi-lich form he's immune to level 8 and below.

You can use scrolls of PfU, though with SCS installed he will try countering those both with dispels and by producing summons. However, it's still possible to use area transitions to cheese him even with no protections at all of your own.
    UnderstandMouseMagic
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I always found Sunday effective... though I can't remember how that interacts with SCS.
    tbone1
    abacus said:

I always found Sunday effective... though I can't remember how that interacts with SCS.

As do I, day off and all that. :D

Sorry couldn't resist and I did realise you meant "sunray"

The problem was that he's damn fast at targeting anybody coming into range with imprisonment. And as I can only protect Edwin and it's game over if charname gets caught, just had to leave it to the slow chipping away, one hp at a time using a protected mage.

It was a real surprise the "moral failure", that's never happened before, and it was only then my charname could get involved. And all the time I did think it was a bluff on Kangaax's part. Pretend to be scared and running away, then hit them when they come out of hiding.
    Now that would be advanced AI.
    tbone1Grond0abacusShikao
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    :lol: Sorry about that... ruddy auto-correct...
    ronaldotbone1