Skip to content

The OBVIOUS simple AI fix that will greatly improve vanilla EE battles

YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
It occurred to me while playing IWDEE (which has no SCS available for it):

Mobs shuffle to attack you only when you are visible to them. So, if there 10 mobs in a hall and you were seen by 3 of them, only those 3 will attack you. You can then pull, say, 4 of them next, followed by the remaining 3, rendering the battles trivial with the exception of special encounters. (SCS avoids this by having an aggroed mob agro its neighbors as well, within a certain distance.)

SIMPLE FIX:
Line of sight agro chain.
What I mean is: if a mob is agroed it agroes all its neighbors within its sight. (With a possible chain limit of, say, 1 or 2 jumps depending on difficulty.)

That's it. Easy peasy.

I remember now why I couldn't bring myself to play IWDEE. It is like shooting fish in a barrel. No challenge.

(... and no challenge despite my punitive game setup of no-reload and no-munchkin play: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/36352/the-way-it-is-meant-to-be-played-tm-an-ocders-guide-to-making-iwdee-a-challenge/p1 )

If you are afraid that players will find it too hard, tie it to difficulty. (I play INSANE with no XP/damage bonus.)
Post edited by Ygramul on

Comments

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2017
    So just add "help" and "shout" actions to all scripts? Scs does that to an extent. However, I wonder if that does not just reduce the game to an overuse of aoe spells.

Moreover though, I never pull groups so I am not sure how that changes.

Edit: ninja'd
    Post edited by lroumen on
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Good points. IIRC, SCS actually has AOE avoidance scripts as well.

Seriously though, given the great job Beamdog did with their recent BGEE DLC (near-SCS level AI), why are they not updating their vanilla AI as well.

I will happily pay for it.

$10 per game for an AI-only upgrade is well worth the money, in my opinion.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Ygramul said:

But isn't SCS free?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    All we need is a timer where the party needs to end battles within 1min, or explode in 1000 bits and pieces. No need for AI improvement or SCS that way. :p
  • Joan_DaroJoan_Daro Member Posts: 112
    edited August 2017
    Isn't that exactly how things work in SOD? Like you enter a room, see a skeleton archer,then you leave the room, and then a dozen of ghouls/wraiths/etc follows you out of the room...?
    And that actually made vanilla BG-EE much more interesting.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    The best way to do it is pitched battles, like Red Steel 2, Realmz and Paper Sorcerer. Or semi-pitched, like Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin. Or, uh, I guess BG Black Pits.

Bonus points if the enemies are tailored to their environment - Divinity Original Sin does this nicely.

Ygramul said:

But isn't SCS free?
    A balanced, built-in non-mod alternative would still have value.

SCS is hard for a newcomer to balance: if you enable all the options the game becomes unplayable (unless you are a one of the gods).

Perhaps, the AI upgrade would best be a challenge upgrade:
    i.e. AI + some reasonable encounter challenges.
    Ygramul said:

SCS is hard for a newcomer to balance: if you enable all the options the game becomes unplayable (unless you are a one of the gods).

Isn't that the point of having options, though? To not have to enable all of them?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    I agree that BG and BG2 have always suffered from the limitations of the difficulty slider. Having difficulty linked to improved AI and encounters would be a worthwhile thing to do - whether it would be a commercial thing to do though seems a bit doubtful to me.

Ygramul said:

Isn't that the point of having options, though? To not have to enable all of them?
    The point is that commercially, you need your base game to provide a reasonable balance without a whole of tweaking and 20 hours of googling before you can start a game proper.

That is why AI-only improvements are great.
    Ygramul said:

The point is that commercially, you need your base game to provide a reasonable balance without a whole of tweaking and 20 hours of googling before you can start a game proper.

That is why AI-only improvements are great.

But don't you just shift the same problem to a different level? Namely that the default AI isn't suitable for everyone. If you make it better, it still won't be suitable for everyone, it'll just be suitable for a different section than it is now.

Differentiation with options seems to me the only real way to make difficulty meet player skill properly. And SCS really isn't THAT complex. Maybe people just find 20 options daunting? Even though they're fairly straightforward?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

IMHO SCS seems more complex than it really is due to including random stuff that has nothing to do with its core competency, AI/encounter improvements. Spell tweaks, item tweaks, shape changing tweaks... what is that stuff doing there?

Eliminate that stuff - merge it into CDTweaks, perhaps - and merge the "initiate mod" component with the "initiate AI" component. Then you would just have:
    - Core component
    - Better calls for help
    - Wizard AI
    - Priest AI
    - Various improved encounters.

That would be a lot more approachable. Someone tell DavidW!

Yep. Exactly.

And my point is that IWDEE is in desperate need of this. And nothing more than this.

In fact, the lack of these --i.e., AI improvements-- makes IWDEE unplayably trivial to a competent player.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Imho, a truly compotent player should be able to play with a low int party leader and RP appropriately boneheaded tactics. If you always take the path of least resistance, you can't expect much resistance, right?

That said I am not at all averse to this, and I like it becoming an option, as most Icewind Dale enemies are supposed to be dumb. Not the Drow obviously, but ghosty orcs shouldn't be too clever.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    "In fact, the lack of these --i.e., AI improvements-- makes IWDEE unplayably trivial to a competent player. "
    There is a difference between "competent" and "masochistic".
    DreadKhan said:

Imho, a truly compotent player should be able to play with a low int party leader and RP appropriately boneheaded tactics.

But handicapping yourself is a fairly poor way of balancing difficulty, because it denies the potential of the game's available resources. Yes, playing through the game naked on a 50-total roll is more challenging, but I don't want LESS of the game - I want MORE. I want to use items, and spells, and all that. I want to have to find new ways of using what's available to me, and not just refuse to use it and stick to unenchanted weaponry just to make things slightly more difficult.

Also, RP isn't a concern for everyone. People enjoy these kinds of games without being too invested into the RP aspect of D&D; that's sort of what the games are there for. It's great that they let people RP if they want to, but I enjoy the game for different reasons.
    ThacoBell said:

"In fact, the lack of these --i.e., AI improvements-- makes IWDEE unplayably trivial to a competent player. "
    There is a difference between "competent" and "masochistic".

That's true. There's also a difference between "constructive" and "derogatory".
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    If you deliberately try to get the best utility out of every spell slot, item charge, attack, etc, the game imho should be pretty easy. You're a party of heavily schooled operatives at that point regardless of level.

Its not that hard to just go for 50% efficiency, and suddenly the game is more challenging without even needing a mod. *shrugs* I clearly stated I was in favour of having optional enhanced AI, so don't try to bite my head off.
    edited August 2017
    "That's true. There's also a difference between "constructive" and "derogatory". "

You mean like the comment that I was replying to? :wink:
    DreadKhan said:

If you deliberately try to get the best utility out of every spell slot, item charge, attack, etc, the game imho should be pretty easy. You're a party of heavily schooled operatives at that point regardless of level.

But that's an RP argument. Not everyone cares for RP consistency across the board. Why shouldn't the game be so hard I have to really try and use everything at my disposal to beat it? If, of course, that is what I want the game to be. I wouldn't dream of forcing things on people one way or another - which is why mods remain, to me, the optimal way of doing things. We have great AI enhancement mods already, and if anything we should build on that rather than try and find some out-of-the-box "official" solution subject to the same spectrum problems as the current state of vanilla. One size does not fit all.

And to be clear, this isn't a discussion about skill, or competence, or forcing people to play one way or the other. Personal preference and customization are the supreme guiding concepts. It's a single-player game after all - nothing you do has any impact whatsoever on anyone else. Let's keep it that way.

But handicapping yourself is a fairly poor way of balancing difficulty, because it denies the potential of the game's available resources.

Very good points.

I never understand objections to the improvement of AI.
    What purpose is there to play against a dumber opponent when you can have a challenge? Especially since it is very rare that such a challenge is possible:

SCS is a gem in CRPG history. There is almost no other AI that matches its complexity. Not even in the best recent CRPGS (PoE etc.).
    To deliberately leave it out (as is the case for IWDEE) when it can be available with some effort (a paid effort if need be) is mind boggling to me.
    I think the main reason SCS was not included in the stock game (and is not going to be) is precisely the many customization options. They are a necessary, integral part of why SCS is as good as it is - but they are daunting to players, and confusing, and suggestive of over-complexity (which is not actually the case, but looks like it to many people). The few inbuilt difficulty modes are already confusing to some people. Imagine the full range of SCS options!

But to be honest, I don't think SCS *needs* to be included. Mods are such a big part of this series that they should be celebrated, and not done away with by inclusion. Of course, that also implies that mods should be adapted for each game. As was rightly mentioned, IWDEE doesn't support SCS and as a result is unplayable to me (and like-minded people). The same is probably true for SOD, which is why I never bought it.

But to be honest, I don't think SCS *needs* to be included.

Getting mods on your android is a pain in the arse, AND you never know which mods will crash the game.

Well, the last part is just assumptions on my part, which is why I so far have not dared install any.

I would *love* an official mod-pack-already-included, with stuff like the Solaufein mod, and unfinished business pack, and some of the new areas/quests etc mods and of course SCS and of course higher XP mods and of course increasing level of later game critters etc. I realize getting the license from all those modders, and ensure the mods flow together, would be a burdensome task... not to mention start rabid flame wars because of everyone thinking their most beloved mod was not included when it should have been or that shit mod was included when it should not have. But what the heck, the BeamDog employees should earn their salaries one way or another, right? Instead of wasting time on stuff like the LoB "challenge" - but then again, just how much programming time was invested in that (literal) hack job anyways?
    edited August 2017
    How about instead they come up with a tool to facilitate modding for mobile devices? It can't be that hard to make some sort of interface that allows you to modify the files on your computer, and then puts them where they need to be on the mobile.

That way, everyone can have any mod in any configuration they want, and don't need to wait if/when the devs decide to put that mod or part of it in some fixed configuration into the stock game. Seems like a much better solution, doesn't it?
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Ygramul said:

But handicapping yourself is a fairly poor way of balancing difficulty, because it denies the potential of the game's available resources.

Very good points.

I never understand objections to the improvement of AI.
    What purpose is there to play against a dumber opponent when you can have a challenge? Especially since it is very rare that such a challenge is possible:

SCS is a gem in CRPG history. There is almost no other AI that matches its complexity. Not even in the best recent CRPGS (PoE etc.).
    To deliberately leave it out (as is the case for IWDEE) when it can be available with some effort (a paid effort if need be) is mind boggling to me.
    There's one problem with SCS, if you want to remove it or parts of it things go wrong. The "uninstall" function doesn't seem to work completely/as it should ect.

Now it may well be me (very likely), or it maybe because of other mods (and people have tried to help). But the only real solution that is recommended is to download/reinstall a clean copy of the game. Many of the experienced players/modders here say they keep a clean copy of the game completely seperate when using mods so that they have that backup.

edited August 2017

How about instead they come up with a tool to facilitate modding for mobile devices? It can't be that hard to make some sort of interface that allows you to modify the files on your computer, and then puts them where they need to be on the mobile.

That way, everyone can have any mod in any configuration they want, and don't need to wait if/when the devs decide to put that mod or part of it in some fixed configuration into the stock game. Seems like a much better solution, doesn't it?

Indeed it does. BD could even charge 10 euros for this tool, and I would gladly pay.

Edit: Also helpful for such a tool would be links for your computer (where the tool resides, or at least one half of it), so if you want a mod, you just click on a list, the tool downloads it for you - or at least directs you to the site that offers the mod -, and also warns you if it is not compatible with another downloaded mod. When you get your preferred pack together, you connect your android to your computer, click a button, wait for file transfers and game updates, start the game on your android and VIOLA the new mods are up and running. Fuck it, I'd pay 20 euros for that tool.

2nd edit: Also throw in a character editor in the mix, and I'd marry someones otherwise impossible to wed daughter for it.
    @Lord_Tansheron The AI of SoD is actually based on SCS. So you should get an SCS like experience (limited, no max level spawns and HLAs on enemy spellcasters, just general AI improvements), I actually have to turn the difficulty slider down a notch to be able to beat it.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    @Lord_Tansheron I agree with @ThacoBell that you should be comfortable with SoD if you're used to playing with SCS. One other point in relation to that is that the difficulty slider in SoD not only affects the standard things in BG, but also the difficulty of encounters - by changing, e.g. numbers, levels, kits, monster types and special abilities of enemies encountered (and yes they are intelligent enough to make use of their special abilities). If you try and play SoD on maximum difficulty you're in for a hard time :D.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.