Skip to content

Looks like TOTSC XP cap is being kept.

https://twitter.com/TrentOster

I'm happy with this personally.

Interesting to know other peoples thoughts.

Comments

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    If their gaming experience soured after level 10, then why not raise the cap to just allow one more level for clerics and fighters (250,000).

With the added content, people are going to be capped faster than they normally would.
  • IcallhimlecobraIcallhimlecobra Member Posts: 59
    @Tanthalas My thoughts exactly. why change what ain't broke. Unless you want to of course, which you can ;-)
    But what if I want to add a higher cap without fully unlocking it? Can that be done?
  • IcallhimlecobraIcallhimlecobra Member Posts: 59
    @mungri I couldn't tell you sorry. With BGEE apparently being more moddable, perhaps. Maybe someone with modding experience may be able to answer your question.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Mungri

Yeah, that's easily done.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    edited November 2012
    That's fine with me, if the cap gets in my way I'll download a mod.
    I don't know how to make one, but I'm sure one will be out before too long.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I modded it easily just using a .2DA file reader like near infinity :)
  • RheiosRheios Member Posts: 22
    I'd say day after its released, someone will have a mod for it. Albeit, mayhaps a tad buggy. (Not me. I'll be playing the game that day)

Honestly I don't see how "game balance" matters here at high levels. Its single player, so its not like its competitive with anyone.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    edited November 2012
    Rheios said:

I'd say day after its released, someone will have a mod for it. Albeit, mayhaps a tad buggy. (Not me. I'll be playing the game that day)

Honestly I don't see how "game balance" matters here at high levels. Its single player, so its not like its competitive with anyone.

For many people it's not fun to play a game where you can blast your way through enemies with no challenge at all.
    Game balance is not a concept invented when multiplayer games entered the scene.

Without game balance all games would be boring as heck, like Skyrim for instance. Loved the game until I'd played it to level 15 or so, after that, there was no challenge at all for me. At level 25, I could one shot kill everything.

Bethesda Software screwed the balance up completely in Skyrim.

The xp cap is there so the game will be fun and challenging all through to the end.

I guess if there wasn't a BGII it'd be less of a concern, but I can see how someone wouldn't want to go into the sequel butchering everything from just the first play through..
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited November 2012
    Personally I always remove the XP cap first chance I get. Kills my suspension of disbelief completely. This guy hones his skills going from novice to expert by being thrust into dangerous situations, but then just...stops improving after a couple months? Never found a way to justify it in my head. Why would I stop learning new things?
    Rheios said:

I guess if there wasn't a BGII it'd be less of a concern, but I can see how someone wouldn't want to go into the sequel butchering everything from just the first play through..

This isn't really a concern though because you can just start a new party in BG2, and characters in BG2 begin with the non expansion XP cap from the first game of around 80-90k exp.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Find and open XPCAP.2DA in notepad or something similar.

Change the values for each class to ones of your choosing. If the ToTSC XP cap is kept then these will be set to 161000.

If you want to remove the XP cap entirely then change these values to -1.
    decado said:

Find and open XPCAP.2DA in notepad or something similar.

Change the values for each class to ones of your choosing. If the ToTSC XP cap is kept then these will be set to 161000.

If you want to remove the XP cap entirely then change these values to -1.

I've heard about that method, and perhaps it wont make a difference in the first one, but theoretically isn't there a risk of your level rolling over to 0 or 1 if you got your experience too high?
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Bytebrain said:

Rheios said:

For many people it's not fun to play a game where you can blast your way through enemies with no challenge at all.
    Game balance is not a concept invented when multiplayer games entered the scene.

Without game balance all games would be boring as heck, like Skyrim for instance. Loved the game until I'd played it to level 15 or so, after that, there was no challenge at all for me. At level 25, I could one shot kill everything.

Bethesda Software screwed the balance up completely in Skyrim.

The xp cap is there so the game will be fun and challenging all through to the end.

Skyrim's balance was all over the place. Gain a few early levels in non-combat skills and the enemies become impossible to fight very quickly. Difficulty that scales with player level hardly ever works to my mind, and is often totally immersion-breaking.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @sepotter The XPLEVEL.2DA goes to 40, but I think you could expand that too if you wanted.
    @Coriander do you think it'll go that high in bgee? Was it like that in the original bg1?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @sepotter

BGEE is using BG2 resources, and BG2 went up to level 40.
    Except that it wouldn't be that quick. Granted I guess I do make a fair amount of assumption pertaining to taking a full party. You probably would get up to god like levels pretty quickly if you soloed everything then.

Honestly, I'm fine with the feeling of challenge through a game until you've achieved some greater success. (i.e., I can see myself removing the cap once I've beaten Saravok or something) But that's why they make mods, right? So everyone can play the way they like. And sometimes try out something different. So I guess it makes sense to leave that cap in if its wanted. I just didn't see it being a concern. Seems it is.

We might have somewhat differing views of Skyrim, but I can see your point.
  • CyhortCyhort Member Posts: 78
    Not a fan of XP caps or too challenging gameplay. Usually in games like this I use trainers or cheats to level myself up so I can easily kill everything because I play for the story, not the dungeon crawling.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @sepotter It's the XPLEVEL.2da from BGII. We had a bug that would make character experience go negative and that would cause a level up to 40, but there's not enough experience in the game to go that high normally.
    @Tanthalas @Coriander That's true, i just wasn't sure with all the rewriting of code they were doing if they lowered it, but I guess probably not. Anyway, that sounds like a good solution for the first one, might need something to cap the bg2 level at 40 allowing xp to go higher.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I think that the only reason for an XP cap is that mods or abuses (respawning flesh golems) allows you to create an invincible character. Still, I'd rather no cap and no exploits, since the encounters (aside from random resting fights) are limited and give a set total XP.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    XP cap is a good thing in BG1. If you reach a too high level the game becomes too easy, there's no more challenge and that's boring.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Seldar Unless you're into that sort of thing. Anyone who has ever experienced a New Game Plus knows what I'm talking about.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Hell yeah!!
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    sepotter said:

@Tanthalas @Coriander That's true, i just wasn't sure with all the rewriting of code they were doing if they lowered it, but I guess probably not. Anyway, that sounds like a good solution for the first one, might need something to cap the bg2 level at 40 allowing xp to go higher.

The low tech solution is just don't level your character up after level 40. It's not like it comes up all that often without abusing exploits anyway unless you run with a very small party size all the way through TOB.
  • awin123awin123 Member Posts: 55
    I do wish they increased it a little bit to let everyone get another level but in the end it's all the same. The cap can be adjusted or removed so it's of no concern to me.