Skip to content

Externalize Identify Spell

BluePearBluePear Member Posts: 13
The identify button on items is currently checking for SPWI110.spl or SCRL75.itm. If I wanted to change the way the Identify spell works, I could not just alter the SPWI110.spl because regardless of what that file looks like, as long as long as there is a SPWI110 memorized, you can identify the item. Same goes for SCRL75.itm. So you would have to replace ALL instances of SCRL75 in the game and all instances of SPWI110 in NPC spell books with i. e. SCRL75b and SPWI110b, and you would still have SPWI110.spl as a spell option at character creation. I tried overwriting SPWI110.spl with an empty file. This makes the spell no longer available at character creation, but it crashes the game when you click on the identify button of an item. If the Identify button on the item would not check for the file name of the spell or scroll, but for a flag in these files, modding the Identify spell would be possible.

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I don't think there's any way to modify the functions of SPWI110.spl. You can stop Identify scrolls from identifying items by removing its entry in the ITEMSPEC.2da file though.
  • BluePearBluePear Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2017
    Thank you! That solves a large part of the problem. Something like that for SPWI110.spl is what I am asking for.

Edit: Something else, that seems hardcoded is the fact that SCRL75 is not equippable in quickslots. So it is not possible to cast from scroll.
    Post edited by BluePear on
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited August 2017
    There is a file appropriately called "HIDESPL.2DA" for just this reason. Add "SPWI110" to it and it will no longer show up as a choice at Chargen or Levelup(Sorcerer).
    Removing the spell from creatures is trivial if you use Weidu:
    COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP ~.*\.cre~ override
     REMOVE_KNOWN_SPELL ~SPWI110~
     REMOVE_MEMORIZED_SPELL ~SPWI110~
    BUT_ONLY
  • BluePearBluePear Member Posts: 13
    @kjeron
    Wow, thanks! That is very helpful. Can you tell me how to not just remove but replace the old Identify with the new one in .cre-files? I don't think there is a REPLACE function like REPLACE_CREATURE_ITEM, REPLACE_STORE_ITEM etc. for spells. Or I would need a way to make Weidu identify all creatures who have SPWI110 known, memorized and #memorized, so I could remove SPWI110 and then ADD_KNOWN_SPELL the new Identify spell.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    In that case just replacing the filename within the creature file should be enough, just keep the new spell filename 7 characters, for example:
    COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP ~.*\.cre~ override
     REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~SPWI110~ ~SPWI150~
    BUT_ONLY
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    REPLACE_CRE_ITEM doesn't work the way you're suggesting. It checks if there’s an item in the given slot position (any item), and if so, replaces it; otherwise, it just does an ADD_CRE_ITEM. It doesn't check for item A and replace it with item B.

REPLACE_STORE_ITEM and REPLACE_AREA_ITEM do check for item A and replace with item B.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.