Skip to content

Is it possible to transfer the (modded) game from one PC to another?

NiksterNikster Member Posts: 3
Hello everyone.

First of all, please excuse my english since it is not my native language. Secondly, please also excuse if this is a realy stupid question or if it was already answered, because I couldn't find a solution.

A while back I got a new PC with Windows 10 (as oposed to my old windows 7 one). Because I wanted to continue playing my (modded) BGEE game, I copied my whole BGEE steam folder to the steam folder on my new PC. Sadly, it seems as the mods are no longer working, since it says that mod companions are invalid.
So my question is: Am I missing any files? Is there a difference between windows 7 and 10? Was there a patch that changed something in the game/file structur after February 2017 (last time I played it on my old PC)

Thank you all for helping me.
Sincerely Nikster

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Nikster, welcome to the forum. I can't answer your question directly as I don't have a Steam account and I am unsure whether Steam 'fixes' your installs. I will offer a suggestion though.

Copy your complete game into a different directory such as "C:\Games\BGEE". Copy your saved games into the "...\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save" folder. Then try and start by running the "Baldur.exe" in the game directory.

If you want to have both games installed on the same computer, open "engine.lua" in the new games directory and edit the line:

engine_name = "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition"
    to read something else like
    engine_name = "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.Test"

This will create a new folder for your saved game content in your documents folder, so you will have to make sure that your saved games are placed in that directory... ie: "...\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.Test\save"

Also, if you use EEKeeper etc, then you will need to setup a new config for the new game folder etc.

As I said, not tested as I don't use Steam, but I am interested to find out if it does... It certainly works for me using the GOG installs. I have two versions of the each game, one modded and one vanilla and able to run either as required.

Good Luck
    Gus
  • NiksterNikster Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your help. Sadly, it was something different.
    After getting my old PC from the attic, I found that I have the same problem there. It seems patch 2.3.67 destroyed something in the (modded) game structure so that the game (and EEKeeper) can't acces most of the modded game files.
    I will now try to use BIG to install the same mods again and see if that will work. Since I also copied that to my new PC, I hope that it still has my modding list. (or does somebody know where I can find a list of the mods I installed?)
    If anyone has a better idea, I would appreciate it.
  • smady3smady3 Member Posts: 48
    edited August 2017
    Did you install the patch over a modded game? If so then that is your problem. You should never install a patch over a modded game.

Also occurred to me, did you check that eekeeper is looking in the correct file path for the tlk file?
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Nikster said:

Thank you for your help. Sadly, it was something different.
    After getting my old PC from the attic, I found that I have the same problem there. It seems patch 2.3.67 destroyed something in the (modded) game structure so that the game (and EEKeeper) can't acces most of the modded game files.
    I will now try to use BIG to install the same mods again and see if that will work. Since I also copied that to my new PC, I hope that it still has my modding list. (or does somebody know where I can find a list of the mods I installed?)
    If anyone has a better idea, I would appreciate it.

You patched the modded game? That can't work.

You need a new patched and clean install to start adding mods once again. Even the mods you want to install are to some extend not the same anymore but have been updated if necessary, In some cases you may not recognise it, in other cases the modders have used new features of the patch already, depends on your selection.

It's now a new game and time for a new start. Good news is that nothing was lost but a lot of things are improved.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Nikster - so far as the list of mods go, you could look at WeiDU.log. It will only show WeiDU installed mods, and doesn't include those mods that were placed directly into the override folder. I don't use BIG so I don't know what it does.

Gus
  • NiksterNikster Member Posts: 3
    smady3 said:

Did you install the patch over a modded game? If so then that is your problem. You should never install a patch over a modded game.

You patched the modded game? That can't work.

I forgot to turn off the auto-update in Steam -_-
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    If you kept your Weidu.log file from the old folder you should be able to see what mods/components you had installed. So you can use that to rebuild your modded game.
  • smady3smady3 Member Posts: 48
    IF your using Steam, then there should be an option to restore the game folder to its original state. I believe its something like, " Verify Game Integrity ", or something similair.