Skip to content

All things D&D (favourite setting in D&D, best D&D edition, and more)

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

1) What the heck does Dark Sun have to do with either Wasteland or Fallout??
    2) Why are people feeding the troll?
    3) What is a "feti schism?" Urbandictionary defines "feti" as a teenager who is overly obsessed with trivial/material things, like celebrities, fashion, gossip, etc. So this is what, two girls arguing about Beyoncé's baby names?

LMAO!
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited September 2017

1) What the heck does Dark Sun have to do with either Wasteland or Fallout??

You mean other than having a post-apocalyptic setting, being hot as hell and dry as Keldorn's marriage, as well as having lots of mangey guys with mohawks trying to kill you?

Not much, probably.

2) Why are people feeding the troll?

Because of boredom, mostly. And nostalgia of course. But still mostly boredom involved.

3) What is a "feti schism?" Urbandictionary defines "feti" as a teenager who is overly obsessed with trivial/material things, like celebrities, fashion, gossip, etc. So this is what, two girls arguing about Beyoncé's baby names?

I could answer this in detail. But then I would probably get banned.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

For what's worth, Wasteland (1988) predates both Dark Sun (1991) and Fallout (1997). So it's possible that one or two things were used by Gygax & Co. for their post-apocalyptic setting. But that should go even more for The Burning World (1964) and Mad Max (1979).

Dark Sun owes at least as much to John Carter, Gor and Conan - all of which are pretty deserty.

• rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Fardragon said:

For what's worth, Wasteland (1988) predates both Dark Sun (1991) and Fallout (1997). So it's possible that one or two things were used by Gygax & Co. for their post-apocalyptic setting. But that should go even more for The Burning World (1964) and Mad Max (1979).

Dark Sun owes at least as much to John Carter, Gor and Conan - all of which are pretty deserty.

Probably owes a lot more to Conan than to the others, considering one of the biggest features of Conan was that magic was typically a feared/evil thing in that setting. Dark Sun also had arcane magic as a feared/evil thing, to most of the populace. There were no mages guilds in Conan or in Dark Sun.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623

Etc. etc. etc. These games/setting are completely dissimilar... except for several similarities. The same could be said of any two settings. The guy only put them together to be contentious and told people up. It's as silly as the idea that all of this stuff began with Tolkien. It's not worth taking seriously.

Err... the idea that Tolkien inspired the Forgotten Realms is not worth taking seriously!!?

Anyway, all I wanted to say is that DnD is not the second coming of Jesus. It is not the be it all and end it all of roleplaying. But after seeing how much rage this opionon stirred, I will leave it at that.
    edited September 2017
    DrakeICN said:

Err... the idea that Tolkien inspired the Forgotten Realms is not worth taking seriously!!?

That's like saying that Tolkien inspired everything Fantasy. Which is partly true, but who cares? We all know it. It's not a unique factoid.
    DrakeICN said:

Anyway, all I wanted to say is that DnD is not the second coming of Jesus. It is not the be it all and end it all of roleplaying. But after seeing how much rage this opionon stirred, I will leave it at that.

No, D&D isn't. In fact, I said time and time again - in the All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project thread - that I wish Beamdog wouldn't even use D&D for their next game. I don't like 5th Edition, except as a gaming system; I hate the lore issues it has and I hate the way WotC keeps marketing it (in a way that makes me, as a consumer, annoyed). But I love the way 5E plays in a homebrew setting.

BUT I'm not sure how you figured arguing over whether D&D was good or not would be a good idea. That's like going to a coffee shop and telling everyone you hate coffee. :D

That said, lately, I'm way more inclined to prefer Starfinder OR Savage Worlds to D&D 5E. /shrug
    edited September 2017

There actually were mages guilds in Dark Sun.

That was more tongue-in-cheek than anything else, but you're correct. The whole wizard's being feared always gave me the impression that mage guilds were more hidden enclaves than groups like the Sorcere or the Hosttower of the Arcane.

Fardragon said:

Dark Sun is Gor with less misoginy.
    I think the reason D&D has lasted when other systems have come and gone has more to do with the format than the actual rules. You can always fall back on tunnels-room-monster-treasure to pad out the plot. Other game systems tend to require much more work as a GM.

But I also have a fondness for Star Wars d6, FASA Star Trek RPG, and Golden Heroes. I used to play a lot of Traveller, but I never really liked the rules, just the setting. I prefer SF - especially space opera - to fantasy.
    No i really want a Dark Sun videogame. Are the two old ones for DOS good?
    I only played the second one, and it was pretty decent for it's time.

I'm not good at retro graphics myself though.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

No i really want a Dark Sun videogame.

While not really an video game on its own, there's also NWN the Dark Sun in the works. Some probably already saw their stuff over at nwnvault. But either way this project of them should prove to be quite an interesting PW once completed. The saddled crodlu looks especially nice.

They're pretty good. A bit wonky in today's systems, but still pretty good.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

Kult (1991) on the other hand is a completely different beast than Ravenloft. Given it is contemporary horror rather than Ravenloft's gothic horror theme. If anything, I'd say it's more similar to World of Darkness (2004).

World of Darkness came out in 1991. Same year as Kult, though Kult did not get an English release until '93. They both have pretty different atmospheres, though, with WoD focusing a lot more on the dramatic and Kult on the mystical. Granted, my view of Kult is from second hand accounts only, so it may be warped by that.

Some of Fallout takes place in desert areas in Utah and California, but not all of it. A fair amount of the various Fallout games take place in non-desert areas.

All the Fallouty Fallout games take place in desert areas (or desertified in case of California). The other games take place in areas that weren't desert before but now are only because the devs were lazy and thought "It's not fallout unless it's desert" ;)
    scriver said:

Kult (1991) on the other hand is a completely different beast than Ravenloft. Given it is contemporary horror rather than Ravenloft's gothic horror theme. If anything, I'd say it's more similar to World of Darkness (2004).

World of Darkness came out in 1991. Same year as Kult, though Kult did not get an English release until '93. They both have pretty different atmospheres, though, with WoD focusing a lot more on the dramatic and Kult on the mystical. Granted, my view of Kult is from second hand accounts only, so it may be warped by that.

Some of Fallout takes place in desert areas in Utah and California, but not all of it. A fair amount of the various Fallout games take place in non-desert areas.

All the Fallouty Fallout games take place in desert areas (or desertified in case of California). The other games take place in areas that weren't desert before but now are only because the devs were lazy and thought "It's not fallout unless it's desert" ;)
    200 years in the future and It looks like the bombs dropped a few years before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    scriver said:

Seriously, this paragraph contradicts itself 3 times. Please state this in a manner which is more clear.
    Please state the nature of the medical emergency.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Fardragon said:

Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

My head hurts. :neutral:
    edited September 2017
    It is actually a wasteland, so it looks like a desert, since if no plants grow, well, then the soil will not be soil but sand. Also, since they just had a nuclear war, there is particles from burning buildings etc that land everywhere and looks like... sand. Well, at least ashes. Which is what you have in Fallout 3.

The reason no plants grow is because an all out war with nuclear weapons will put so much dust in the stratosphere it actually blocks out the sun light, possible for as long as 2 years, which will kill all but the most hardy of plants, and yes, even most seeds, if they attempt to bloom rather than lying dormant. But that is only the start of problems!!! After the nuclear winter, what follows is, ironically, a nuclear summer. The world wide forest and city fires will release so much carbon dioxide it will exacerbate the global warming we already have, so it will be incredibly, incredibly hot. So, the hardy plants that somehow managed to survive the nuclear winter must now survive a nuclear summer. Basically, this will lead to around 10 years of no or very little plants, thus also all animals die of starvation (those that did not already die from radiation, that is), thus also most humans will die of starvation. An all out nuclear war is therefore similar to the dinosaur extinction event.

With that said, Fallout still got it wrong. Since there have been 70 to 200 years since the war, the plants that did survive, or pockets of plants for some reason were unaffected (like an automated greenhouse run on a power source with 10 years longevity, such as, say, nuclear cells), will quickly repopulate the planet following the extinction event. Especially since there are very few animals around to forage, and the ashes are rich in plant nutrients. The "oh but the water is radioactive" lore in Fallout 3 is bull, see link below.

https://www.sciencealert.com/watch-here-s-what-chernobyl-looks-like-today

Edit: Here are more realistic representations of nuclear war aftermath:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_(2009_film)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

scriver said:

All the Fallouty Fallout games take place in desert areas (or desertified in case of California). The other games take place in areas that weren't desert before but now are only because the devs were lazy and thought "It's not fallout unless it's desert"

I'm confused. Didn't you imply the bit you seem critical of, one sentence earlier?
    Not at all. California is much drier than the east coast and right next to several deserts to begin with, it becoming desertified isn't a big stretch. Washington DC is, if I remember correctly, basically a marsh. It becoming desertified is ridiculous and was done just because the devs was lazy.
    DrakeICN said:

It is actually a wasteland, so it looks like a desert, since if no plants grow, well, then the soil will not be soil but sand. Also, since they just had a nuclear war, there is particles from burning buildings etc that land everywhere and looks like... sand. Well, at least ashes. Which is what you have in Fallout 3.

The reason no plants grow is because an all out war with nuclear weapons will put so much dust in the stratosphere it actually blocks out the sun light, possible for as long as 2 years, which will kill all but the most hardy of plants, and yes, even most seeds, if they attempt to bloom rather than lying dormant. But that is only the start of problems!!! After the nuclear winter, what follows is, ironically, a nuclear summer. The world wide forest and city fires will release so much carbon dioxide it will exacerbate the global warming we already have, so it will be incredibly, incredibly hot. So, the hardy plants that somehow managed to survive the nuclear winter must now survive a nuclear summer. Basically, this will lead to around 10 years of no or very little plants, thus also all animals die of starvation (those that did not already die from radiation, that is), thus also most humans will die of starvation. An all out nuclear war is therefore similar to the dinosaur extinction event.

With that said, Fallout still got it wrong. Since there have been 70 to 200 years since the war, the plants that did survive, or pockets of plants for some reason were unaffected (like an automated greenhouse run on a power source with 10 years longevity, such as, say, nuclear cells), will quickly repopulate the planet following the extinction event. Especially since there are very few animals around to forage, and the ashes are rich in plant nutrients. The "oh but the water is radioactive" lore in Fallout 3 is bull, see link below.

Eh, i don't like movies that Can cause darkness Induced audience apathy, but i do agree that FO3 is filled with continuity and lore errors like a Brian Bendis comic book.
    And of course, i don't want this topic to degenerate into another ''Bethesda sucks, Obsidian rules'' discussion.

DrakeICN said:

Eh, i don't like movies that Can cause darkness Induced audience apathy,
    Fine, lets get this thread back on track with Dark Sun the series;
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ep65rr-9qjQ

I have been looking for an excuse to post that.
    DrakeICN said:

DrakeICN said:

Thats a Conan parody.

DrakeICN said:

DrakeICN said:

Thats a Conan parody.
    Not exclusively. For instance, in the beginning they roll 1D12 to determine who should talk to Korgoth.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651

Yeah, they're both quite good. Athas is a fun and interesting setting in comparison to the countless Sword Coast Adventures™ we've had. DS2 in particular let's you see some interesting parts of that setting like the Wild Halfling Villages and the Veiled Alliance.

Why does the Sword Coast look like Canada? I mean, what's a groundhog supposed to be? Some kind of super-obese squirrel?