Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit www.planescape.com to purchase and check for details. Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Official Soundtrack is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

The AI is better at this game than I am . . .

I usually play with the party AI turned off but there have been a couple of occasions when I have inadvertently left it on during big fights and I have discovered my party does much better without my input. For one thing my spellcasters choose spells I would never have thought of. I didn't even know Glitterdust could be used to blind opponents until Edwin left a bunch of crusaders bumping into each other.

So it turns out that when Jaheira says my party needs better leadership she has probably got a point.

ShikaoGrond0BrutaleBentJuliusBorisovMontresor_SPhook71AedanAvenger_teambgThacoBellthespacemf2112sarevok57O_BruceMirandelGusindaelminsterArctodusArdanistbone1GrumSkatansemiticgod

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 3,104
    edited September 4
    thespace said:

Keep practicing ;)

I will. But I've been playing for almost twenty years: I think the chances of me getting any better at it are a bit remote.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 367
    This could be an interesting idea for challenge run. You can choose equipment, memorized spells and prepare scripts, but the fight must be done totally on auto =D Of course no pre-buffing unless AI decided so =P Can you prepare your team well enough not to need your help for what lies ahead?
    GusindaArctodusArdanisthespace
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,888
    I have to admit the AI is more consistent than I am about keeping that Stoneskin on all the time. I usually don't bother with glitterdust though, they get a save against it.
    JuliusBorisov
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,888
    sarevok57 said:

I made a team full of multiclass characters, not one character was single classed, and only the top character was the only one that wasn't a caster, then I set everyone's script to the AI scripts that I made, and I hardly if ever have to command them to do anything, they just lay waste to the baddies, that one cleric/mage script I made has over 23000 lines of code in it, the script file itself is over a megabyte in size ( for comparison the "standard attack" script is about a kilobyte in size )

I wish we had a "Wow" reaction for this.... :)
    ShikaoGusindasarevok57
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member Posts: 2,194
    I remember NWN2 had a "Scaled Casting" mode in the AI so that party members would only use spells appropriate for a fight so they wouldn't cast big spells on tiny creatures.
    Ardanissemiticgod
  • ArdanisArdanis Member, Developer Posts: 876

So it turns out that when Jaheira says my party needs better leadership she has probably got a point.

She's a Harper, don't believe a word from that woman.
    Shikao said:

This could be an interesting idea for challenge run. You can choose equipment, memorized spells and prepare scripts, but the fight must be done totally on auto =D Of course no pre-buffing unless AI decided so =P Can you prepare your team well enough not to need your help for what lies ahead?

I've found the games that don't allow direct control of characters/units to be much more interesting than where you control everyone and everything. Or those with optional quick-combat feature.
    I played Eien no Aselia last year, and in one of the last missions I had spent about 70% time calculating the turns ahead, 20% reloading, and maybe only 10% actually playing :D Strategic planning at its finest.
    Shikao
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 3,003

Yeah but my beef with the AI is, there's no way it can ever conserve spells the way I want it to. How can the AI effectively use spells, but use them sparingly, so that I can get through the Windspear Hills dungeon without resting?

Auto AI seems like it requires, or causes, rest spamming, which I hate. Thus, I'll be micromanaging spellcasters forever. :(

ironically I found myself resting very little, especially in SoA with longer spell durations for protections and just more spells in general I found myself barely resting at all, but then again I make my teams as power gamey as possible, so that might help

brunardo
  • subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 7,560
    Vallmyr said:

I remember NWN2 had a "Scaled Casting" mode in the AI so that party members would only use spells appropriate for a fight so they wouldn't cast big spells on tiny creatures.

That would be amazing. Could do something very simple: "only use 1st-level spells on trash mobs." Then, combined with my "Level 1 Cantrips" mod, you could probably leave mages on auto-AI indefinitely.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member Posts: 2,194
    I wouldn't mind like if when you hit "Use Offensive Spells" or "Use Defensive Spells" if it had an option for like what spell level you could make it cap at. I think it default caps at 3rd level but I might be wrong.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 3,003
    Vallmyr said:

I wouldn't mind like if when you hit "Use Offensive Spells" or "Use Defensive Spells" if it had an option for like what spell level you could make it cap at. I think it default caps at 3rd level but I might be wrong.

that's pretty much right, although I believe confusion is on that list, and of coarse stoneskin, plus the advanced AI will use breach/ ruby ray and all those other dispelling spells

but for me, I prefer overkill casting mode, nothing more satisfying than cometing some gibberlings :)
    Montresor_SP