Skip to content

The AI is better at this game than I am . . .

I usually play with the party AI turned off but there have been a couple of occasions when I have inadvertently left it on during big fights and I have discovered my party does much better without my input. For one thing my spellcasters choose spells I would never have thought of. I didn't even know Glitterdust could be used to blind opponents until Edwin left a bunch of crusaders bumping into each other.

So it turns out that when Jaheira says my party needs better leadership she has probably got a point.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited September 2017
    thespace said:

Keep practicing ;)

I will. But I've been playing for almost twenty years: I think the chances of me getting any better at it are a bit remote.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    This could be an interesting idea for challenge run. You can choose equipment, memorized spells and prepare scripts, but the fight must be done totally on auto =D Of course no pre-buffing unless AI decided so =P Can you prepare your team well enough not to need your help for what lies ahead?
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I have to admit the AI is more consistent than I am about keeping that Stoneskin on all the time. I usually don't bother with glitterdust though, they get a save against it.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    sarevok57 said:

I made a team full of multiclass characters, not one character was single classed, and only the top character was the only one that wasn't a caster, then I set everyone's script to the AI scripts that I made, and I hardly if ever have to command them to do anything, they just lay waste to the baddies, that one cleric/mage script I made has over 23000 lines of code in it, the script file itself is over a megabyte in size ( for comparison the "standard attack" script is about a kilobyte in size )

I wish we had a "Wow" reaction for this.... :)
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I remember NWN2 had a "Scaled Casting" mode in the AI so that party members would only use spells appropriate for a fight so they wouldn't cast big spells on tiny creatures.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

So it turns out that when Jaheira says my party needs better leadership she has probably got a point.

She's a Harper, don't believe a word from that woman.
    Shikao said:

This could be an interesting idea for challenge run. You can choose equipment, memorized spells and prepare scripts, but the fight must be done totally on auto =D Of course no pre-buffing unless AI decided so =P Can you prepare your team well enough not to need your help for what lies ahead?

I've found the games that don't allow direct control of characters/units to be much more interesting than where you control everyone and everything. Or those with optional quick-combat feature.
    I played Eien no Aselia last year, and in one of the last missions I had spent about 70% time calculating the turns ahead, 20% reloading, and maybe only 10% actually playing :D Strategic planning at its finest.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

Yeah but my beef with the AI is, there's no way it can ever conserve spells the way I want it to. How can the AI effectively use spells, but use them sparingly, so that I can get through the Windspear Hills dungeon without resting?

Auto AI seems like it requires, or causes, rest spamming, which I hate. Thus, I'll be micromanaging spellcasters forever. :(

ironically I found myself resting very little, especially in SoA with longer spell durations for protections and just more spells in general I found myself barely resting at all, but then again I make my teams as power gamey as possible, so that might help

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I wouldn't mind like if when you hit "Use Offensive Spells" or "Use Defensive Spells" if it had an option for like what spell level you could make it cap at. I think it default caps at 3rd level but I might be wrong.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Vallmyr said:

I wouldn't mind like if when you hit "Use Offensive Spells" or "Use Defensive Spells" if it had an option for like what spell level you could make it cap at. I think it default caps at 3rd level but I might be wrong.

that's pretty much right, although I believe confusion is on that list, and of coarse stoneskin, plus the advanced AI will use breach/ ruby ray and all those other dispelling spells

but for me, I prefer overkill casting mode, nothing more satisfying than cometing some gibberlings :)
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    @sarevok57 were you the one who shared some AI scripts before? If so, and if you don't mind, please do share the link again. I forgot to bookmark it. It's related to the topic anyway :) thanks
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Permidion_Stark

I think that might be Garrick though, not you. :D
  • EnilwynEnilwyn Member Posts: 140
    @Permidion_Stark

You were basically a wild mage before wild mage was coded into the game >.<

;-)
    Enilwyn said:

@Permidion_Stark

;-)

You should see me with area effect spells. I hardly ever use them because I either miss completely or take out half of my own party.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937

Enilwyn said:

@Permidion_Stark

;-)

You should see me with area effect spells. I hardly ever use them because I either miss completely or take out half of my own party.
    My rule to aim AoE spells is "about where the fog of war cuts off."

Enilwyn said:

@Permidion_Stark

;-)

My rule to aim AoE spells is "about where the fog of war cuts off."
    I'll give that a try. Because at the minute it seems to work out that I land them "about where the guys at the front of my party are standing".