Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit www.planescape.com to purchase and check for details. Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Official Soundtrack is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Fighter/Druid vs. Druid?

I normally play druids as my main character. I hear Fighter/Druids as very good in IWD, how much worse are just Druids? Also to be good, do Fighter/Druids just use weapons, or do they shapeshift?

Comments

• ElendarElendar Member Posts: 807
    I personally prefer Fighter/Druids. That way they make good upfront fighters. Plain druids cannot wear metal armor and don't have a fighter's THACO. I typically don't bother with shapeshifting much with them. If you're wanting more of a caster druid than a front line druid, then I would go with the single class.
    Permidion_StarkThacoBellsemiticgod
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 340
    If your plan on using the druid for further games go fighter/druid due to how the level cap works. If just one play through go avenger druid.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 3,192
    I prefer a Fighter/Druid for IWD because the game is so combat-heavy I find the extra hit points and better AC useful. There are times when enemies seem to come at you from every direction so it can be hard to keep characters with low hit points and a high armour class alive.

You can still shapeshift as a Fighter/Druid but it's not something I tend to do. I generally used them as a second rank fighter who can also cast (pretty much the same way I use a Cleric).
    ineth
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 199
    Fighter/Druid is one of the most useful classes in IWD1. Single class Druid might gets you access to some nice spells faster, but overall, in combat is rather useless.

However, is best to approach it as a multi-class. Dual-class is in fact better as a character, but the requirements for Dual-classing are insane. You need to have at least 17 in Str, Wis and Cha. Let alone the fact that not having either at least 15 in either Dex or Con is going to make your fighter would be druid a wimp. One should not attempt it unless you are prepare to actively search for lots of re-rolls.
  • chimaerachimaera Member Posts: 375
    edited October 3
    I wouldn't call a single-classed druid useless in combat in IWD; they get access to shapes earlier, and two shapes (boring beetle and water elemental) make very good decoys due to their physical resistances. Even better if you stack static charges or call lightning on them beforehand. >:) Though I agree a f/d is better.
    semiticgod
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 199
    Call lightning is unfortunately mostly useless in IWD1. Basically 90% of the game takes place in-doors and the places where there are out-doors are quite easy to get by. The only possible exception might be Burial Island and maybe Gloomfrost.