Skip to content

Persistent BG habits

13»

Comments

• ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    I also very rarely let NPCs die. I mean even if I don't want to have them in my party or they get kicked out or want to kill each other, I generally try to keep them alive. I originally did this in case I ever needed them again or wanted them to join. I wanted to have the option of doing so and most of the time I never went back for them. The only exception was Keldorn when he tried to kill Viconia, then I just let Her kill him.

In my current Tutu playthrough I am finally trying a game where I let NPCs die if they naturally would and am not interfering in party politics so to speak. In doing so I allowed Minsc to kill Edwin, which I normally would have prevented. I thought it would be interesting to try something new after not allowing them to do that for 13 years.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    A persistent habit of mine I want to break sometime, is only having characters in the party that getting along, I never pick combinations that starts having fights, so I don't even know what it's like. Do both sides turn blue and uncontrollable while hacking away at each other? I want to break this habit so I can find out sometime what it's like.

I made a plan once to do so, with a mischievious gnome charname called 'Evill Grin'. But I never got round to playing, as I had so many more serious and more harmonious party ideas to play out still. And I still am swarmed in ideas of things I want to do.

Ah! Persistent habit no. 4: creating more ideas than I have time to actually realise, thus burdening myself with a backlog of ideas: a Nalia romance-campaign, a United Races campaign (all 6 party-members a different race), a campaign with half civilized, half 'wild' characters centered around a Feralan (divine remix ranger kit) charname, a gay romance with Faren, a campaign with a lesbian romance and I probably am still forgetting some ideas I have penned down.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I did a very fun Shagadellic game a few years back, installed all the romance unblockers and romanced Aerie, Jaheira, Viconia, Anomen and Kelsey simultaniously. Blew my mind though. Lovetalks every 5 minutes.

I usually get a romance going, it's a nice bit of character development for an NPC and a little for the Bhaalspawn too (who is rather static, unfortunately).
    I always explore every square inch of the map, in case I might miss something.
    If I run into an encounter I'm clearly not supposed to survive, I'll keep hammering my face into that wall until it caves (retreat is never an option, this is more of a general personality flaw).
    I save everything that might look important to someone. Even if I know it's not because I played the game seven times.
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297

Ah! Persistent habit no. 4: creating more ideas than I have time to actually realise, thus burdening myself with a backlog of ideas: a Nalia romance-campaign

I can really recommend that one (and I mean, of course, @jcompton's De'Arnise Romance, as I'm sure you do too). Probably the best written romance I have ever played. Very well paced (rather broad tempi, to speak in musical terms) with a realistic, natural feel too it; and it adds much substance and humanity to Nalia.
  • ForseForse Member Posts: 106
    edited November 2012

Forse said:

ankheg said:

Lemernis said:

And the deh Nile ain't just a river in Egypt. ;P

I thought "d" in ocd is for disorder. After reading these posts... it sounds pretty ordinary for me. I give credit for the psycologists creativity though. Inventing new illnesses can be hard.
    What does this thread and its posts have to do with the existence of OCD? This kind of mentality really gets tiresome. Statistics show that at least 1 % of the population has OCD. What next, cancer is a myth?
    I'm sorry, it was my fault. I wrote "It could be obsessive compulsive behaviour or well-founded choices (though part of my diagnose is not OCD nor do I believe in free will, but your mileage my vary), share what's your persistent habits!"

It was a bit tongue-in-cheek comment, while it may also be true that an obsessive compulsive disorder displays itself in the way people suffering from it play BG, but I want to state:

I acknowledge:
    - Obsessive compulsive disorder is a serious disease and can be just as debilitating as depression, schizofrenia or any other psychiatric disorder.
    - It's not fun suffering from OCD, and me talking about it in a kind of humorous way was edgy. Maybe I shouldn't have done it.
    - There's a big difference between persistent and compulsive behaviour while playing a game and suffering from a real compulsive disorder, like there's a big difference between feeling down sometimes and suffering from a real depression.

I didn't want to hurt anybody's feelings, it's just that suffering from a psychiatric disorder myself (though not OCD), I allow myself a black humour about psychiatric diseases to liften the burden of life somewhat, but maybe I should stick to my own and maybe make fun only of depressions and schizo-affective disorders?

I'm sorry if anybody did feel hurt because of this topic.

I didn't take offense from mentioning OCD in a tongue-in-cheek way, in fact I encourage it. I think that being able to joke about even severe conditions is important, and I'm not in the least offended when people use it, even if what they describe is oftentimes not true OCD. After all, with the right perspective, OCD can be damn comical. :)

What I did take offense at was when someone said that OCD doesn't exist. Claiming that a very real suffering is "made up" hurts.
    Edit: to whomever made that comment; I'm not angry. I can understand that it's hard to separate pathological behaviour from healthy in the jungle that is psych diagnoses. So, no hard feelings from me. But it might be good to remember not to draw conclusions about disorders from an internet discussion :)

In short; I love light-heartedness and humor, even when it touches serious subjects. :)

Edit: I totally agree with you about lifting the burden with humor! It's a fantastic way of getting perspective :)
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited November 2012
    Glokta said:

Even my paladin walks into houses and steal anything that aint nailed to the floor..

Same here - and I almost always played BG1 as a paladin, because they seem so powerful compared to all the other char classes, but then I'd feel weird when I robbed houses or, even worse, killed innocents for their magic weapons/items.

This is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to BG1:EE - playing as a blackguard. Now, maybe I can play as a class just as powerful as a paladin, while still retaining the role-playing aspect of the game.
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    I often play as a paladin but I would never steal from poor downtrodden folk. Imoen takes care of that while I take a walk.
  • DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120
    I have played goodie two shoes characters quite often, but I have never failed to ransack the catacombs beneath Candlekeep for the Tomes of Strength and Wisdom, even though it feels slightly off for my Paladin to be sidetracking from the escape in order to ransack the tombs of the dead Alaundo.

I mean, even for a Paladin, it bumps my strength to 19! How can I just walk away from that?
  • hadrialhadrial Member Posts: 3
    I've never paused the game once during/before/after combat.

I've never had a character with charisma above 10.

I've never had more than one leather and one cloth wearing class in my party at once.

Never done an evil alignment playthrough.

My cleric's always stack healing spells.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    hadrial said:

I've never paused the game once during/before/after combat.

Ha! I'm the opposite, I like to play combat very slowly and tactically , unless its just a bunch of Xvarts or something (that reminds me, I still always feel guilty about the Xvart village holocaust..)
    hadrial said:

I've never had a character with charisma above 10.

So you've never played a Ranger, Paladin or Bard?
    hadrial said:

I've never had more than one leather and one cloth wearing class in my party at once.

I usually have two leather wearers, though one of them is usually a ranger of fighter/thief who only swaps leather for plate when scouting or for backstabs etc.
    hadrial said:

Never done an evil alignment playthrough.

I've only done this properly recently, its so much fun, you should try it! :-)

• SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    A few of my habits
    Always reload a fight if anyone dies.
    Im a kleptomaniac and I have to know what is in every house, every barrel, every chest.
    If I can get away with it, I will kill NPC's if they have items worth it. Zhurlong's Boots of Stealth is a good example.
    Pickpocket quest reward items, even though I'll get it a little bit later when I've completed the quest.
    Rerolling to get the best stats
    Starting a new game because of some insignificant reason such as my characters alignmenet is wrong, or my charisma is one point off or something like that.
    I always fully explore an area before leaving, even if theres nothing to explore.
  • FeidhlimFeidhlim Member Posts: 10
    Uh oh... I do most all of these things everyone has mentioned; removing the FOW, refilling the quivers, saving all quest items or items with a name, reloading if a character was lost in a battle (have never resurrected), checking every single drawer, bookshelf, barrel etc... Actually, I'm even worse than that - I like to find a place to store everything I find and then I organize it into piles, like weapons in one bucket, armor in another, spells in the drawer, quest items in the chest, etc... I hoard potions and wands but yet try not to use them (only as last resort).

I remember years ago, I even made sure they were in a certain order WITHIN the barrels. I also remember compulsively pick-pocketing every single item from everyone in the entire game - even useless quest items that were intended for that person. I think I have a problem hahaha... Glad to hear some of you have it too.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Feidhlim said:

Uh oh... I do most all of these things everyone has mentioned; removing the FOW, refilling the quivers, saving all quest items or items with a name, reloading if a character was lost in a battle (have never resurrected), checking every single drawer, bookshelf, barrel etc... Actually, I'm even worse than that - I like to find a place to store everything I find and then I organize it into piles, like weapons in one bucket, armor in another, spells in the drawer, quest items in the chest, etc... I hoard potions and wands but yet try not to use them (only as last resort).

I remember years ago, I even made sure they were in a certain order WITHIN the barrels. I also remember compulsively pick-pocketing every single item from everyone in the entire game - even useless quest items that were intended for that person. I think I have a problem hahaha... Glad to hear some of you have it too.

What a good idea, er... I mean... you're a sick person.
  • greckoboygreckoboy Member Posts: 33
    I collected diamonds and rogue stones (thank goodness for unlimited stacking mods). I'm probably a bit weird...I collected diamonds in Dragon Age and all the flawless gems in Skyrim too. I know I don't really need them and I could sell them for good money, but they're just so nice to keep... ^_^"
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    ankheg said:

I never use items which can be depleted including potions, arrows, wands, bullets, scrolls etc.

Yes I like to horde these things too. "Just in case I need them for some fight". But I never actually use them.

• MaconaMacona Member Posts: 70
    edited December 2012
    I am pause crazy. I pause before every action, even if i'm just chaning direction in the wilderness.

My log between fights always looks something like this:

Paused
    Unpaused
    Paused
    Unpaused
    Paused
    Qicksave
    Unpaused
    Paused
    Unpaused
    Paused
    Unpaused
    Quicksave
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Does anyone here *not* stockpile excessive ranged weapon ammunition? :-)
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    greckoboy said:

I collected diamonds and rogue stones (thank goodness for unlimited stacking mods). I'm probably a bit weird...I collected diamonds in Dragon Age and all the flawless gems in Skyrim too. I know I don't really need them and I could sell them for good money, but they're just so nice to keep... ^_^"

I always keep all the valuable gems in my gembag and only sell the cheaper ones: diamonds, rogue stones, star sapphires, king's tears, emeralds - my gem bags are so full by the end of BG2, I can't load anymore gems.

• RamasterRamaster Member Posts: 18
    I do all sidequests available/Explore all reachable locations before advancing the main plot. This means that my map is almost fully explored before I even enter the Nashkell Mines.