Skip to content

What happens to bonus weapon slots in 2.x patches?

Just starting another run through the game, and still on v1.3 as that remains the current version in the Mac App Store. I am planning on taking Coran this time for his crazy dex and bonus 3* bow skill, but understand that there is a new way of assigning character levels once I get the 2.x series of patches. Does that mean we lose these quirky character bonuses for Coran, and Haer D'Alis in BG2? (And possibly others I am forgetting). Is there some in-game way to restore that skill through the new level-up scheme? Or do I simply not understand how the new scheme works?

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    As long as the lowest level version of the character has the “bonus” proficiencies, they should still get them.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    So that should be true for Coran, but not Haer D'alis?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Haer'Dalis will start with his bonus in short swords no matter what. But if you want his bonus in longswords as well, you will need to wait to recruit him at uh, it was either level 13 or 15. I can't recall exactly.

Coran will always have his bonus proficiency.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    And why would you not want his bonus in longswords when short swords underwhelm? I like Haer'dalis but I always grab him late because of that.