Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit www.planescape.com to purchase and check for details. Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Official Soundtrack is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Character creation for maximizing dialog options & xp

Hi,

I remember back in the original PST there was a character classes/stats progression to maximize dialog xp

IIRC it included starting with 18 int and wis, rest on cha, taking a few levels of fighter but most mage.

Any idea if this still holds for PST:EE?

TIA!

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 177
    edited November 1
    That's a useful link, though I'd add this:

Unlike recent CRPGs such as Pillars of Eternity, Planescape makes an unlimited amount of XP available to you through respawning monsters like Sigil's abishai, UnderSigil's demons, and the Fortress' shadows. So there isn't any great need to worry about maximizing the amount of XP you'll obtain from dialogue.

On the other hand, there is a *huge* amount of lore you'll only learn if your mental stats are sufficiently high. There are also a few things you'll only learn if you are a mage, though this is offset by the fact that mages level very slowly and hence don't give you as many stat points as a thief or fighter Nameless One would have. By endgame, you can easily be losing out on 10+ stat points if you go mage, which is enough to make fighter or (especially) thief worth considering.
    JuliusBorisov
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 328
    PST:EE is not different from the old PS:T. In fact, if you take away the zoom and eye candy fixes, the game is not much enhanced at all. Not even some restored content was able to make it through.

As such, all the strategies from the older game are still valid. Starting with 18 Wis is advisable for every character, although if you want to go for a mage for the later part of the game, you would need some early investment in Int, to be able to get the extra xp from quests and from Dak'kon.

Str is still the less useful stat to have, even as a fighter.
  • pedrorqpedrorq Member Posts: 48
    Thanks for the stats good people!
    What about classes?

I remember a few years ago one was supposed to get 5 levels as fighter and then rest as mage. Does this still apply? Does it matter?
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 328
    pedrorq said:

Thanks for the stats good people!
    What about classes?

I remember a few years ago one was supposed to get 5 levels as fighter and then rest as mage. Does this still apply? Does it matter?

Meaning get to level 7 as a fighter. This is useful to allow TNO to put 4 proficiency points in edged/daggers. After that you can level up only as a mage and you'll be using daggers for the whole game.

For the second specialization level, at 12, you can get it as fighter for an extra fifth proficiency point allowance, but the total amount of necessary experience to reach that level makes it wasteful if you want to go all mage and be able to cast level 8 spells by the end of the game.

And truly, EE for PS:T means almost nothing new. Some bug fixes and a few esthetic features, but nothing that would change significantly the game from the older version. Personally, I kind of felt I wasted my money on it, as I still have the original game.