Skip to content

Deathmatch Tournament?

histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,437
Got this idea from my solo Cavalier playthrough, and as there's multiplayer in the game already, has it been done, or is there a mod that lets you pit different characters/creatures against each other?

Easiest rules would be:

one window area
to the death
no time restriction
max level characters
any items they can use in the series
1 potion/scroll/wand and max 3 quick slot items

, but that would eliminate mages pretty much on get go when everybody would just use Protection From Magic scrolls, and it would become a slug fest, which my Cavalier would win no doubt. :smile:

On the other hand don't allow PfM-scrolls, and mages will time stop, imprison and so on everybody. So there should be some middle ground there.

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I don't think we should arbitrarily decide that certain items or spells are illegal just because they work better than others--otherwise, we'd just be declaring in advance that this character will always win, so don't let them play. Maybe each player could declare a certain number of items and spells to be banned for one single match, instead of universally banning one static list of options.

Incidentally, Protection from Magic scrolls would not doom spellcasters; you can still use scrolls and potions. A single Potion of Invisibility would let a mage wait out the Cavalier's Protection from Magic scroll, as would the Staff of the Magi.

The ideal character, I think, would be a Mage/Thief with the Staff of the Magi. A Chain Contingency could hit the Mage/Thief with Power Word: Blind on the first round, allowing them to set a Time Trap in plain sight (blind thieves can set traps and hide in shadows even if enemies are near) and follow up with a series of Time Stop spells. Once the blindness wore off, you could reveal any invisible enemies using Detect Illusions (which bypasses SI: Divination) and then follow up with a Protection from Magic scroll or a hit from the Staff of the Magi and another PW: Blind spell on self, allowing the Mage/Thief to set maybe ten Spike Traps and deal 700 nonmagical magic damage once Time Stop finally ended, and also land a bunch of hits using the Scarlet Ninja-to and Firetooth +3 (140 damage per round). The other character would only be active for a single second (which isn't actually enough time to land a Protection from Magic scroll, even if the Mage/Thief didn't have the Staff of the Magi) before the Mage/Thief instantly stopped time. You could drink a Potion of Magic Shielding to grants 50% resistance to the Spike Trap damage or use Hardiness to defend against the Mage/Thief's attacks during Time Stop, but you couldn't do both.

Or just use Imprisonment, yes. Even if the opponent was a Berserker, you could just wait out the duration of Enrage during Time Stop.

I think it would be more interesting to play with mid-level characters who could only have a certain number of items depending on a budget. Say, you can have 1 million XP and 50,000 gold in one fight, and in another fight, you might only have 50,000 XP and 1,000 gold.
    Also note that in multiplayer runs, all characters are considered party members, which means both sides would be immune to Horrid Wilting, Slow, Remove Magic, and all kinds of other spells that only affect critters with red circles.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,437
    edited November 2017

I don't think we should arbitrarily decide that certain items or spells are illegal just because they work better than others--otherwise, we'd just be declaring in advance that this character will always win, so don't let them play. Maybe each player could declare a certain number of items and spells to be banned for one single match, instead of universally banning one static list of options.

Incidentally, Protection from Magic scrolls would not doom spellcasters; you can still use scrolls and potions. A single Potion of Invisibility would let a mage wait out the Cavalier's Protection from Magic scroll, as would the Staff of the Magi.

The ideal character, I think, would be a Mage/Thief with the Staff of the Magi. A Chain Contingency could hit the Mage/Thief with Power Word: Blind on the first round, allowing them to set a Time Trap in plain sight (blind thieves can set traps and hide in shadows even if enemies are near) and follow up with a series of Time Stop spells. Once the blindness wore off, you could reveal any invisible enemies using Detect Illusions (which bypasses SI: Divination) and then follow up with a Protection from Magic scroll or a hit from the Staff of the Magi and another PW: Blind spell on self, allowing the Mage/Thief to set maybe ten Spike Traps and deal 700 nonmagical magic damage once Time Stop finally ended, and also land a bunch of hits using the Scarlet Ninja-to and Firetooth +3 (140 damage per round). The other character would only be active for a single second (which isn't actually enough time to land a Protection from Magic scroll, even if the Mage/Thief didn't have the Staff of the Magi) before the Mage/Thief instantly stopped time. You could drink a Potion of Magic Shielding to grants 50% resistance to the Spike Trap damage or use Hardiness to defend against the Mage/Thief's attacks during Time Stop, but you couldn't do both.

Or just use Imprisonment, yes. Even if the opponent was a Berserker, you could just wait out the duration of Enrage during Time Stop.

I think it would be more interesting to play with mid-level characters who could only have a certain number of items depending on a budget. Say, you can have 1 million XP and 50,000 gold in one fight, and in another fight, you might only have 50,000 XP and 1,000 gold.

Yeah that is true.

Btw, Cavalier can still cast Detect Invisibility or True Seeing from quick slot with PfM I think. And with 68% DR (without AoF) and 233HP would need to take 728 physical damage to die.

There would be some randomness from which time and how correctly players would cast their abilities. Also Contingency should be set only during the match which wastes a round, not beforehand.
    Post edited by histamiini on
    edited November 2017

Also note that in multiplayer runs, all characters are considered party members, which means both sides would be immune to Horrid Wilting, Slow, Remove Magic, and all kinds of other spells that only affect critters with red circles.

Never thought of that. Are spells hard coded, or can you change effects on them?

Not to mention the fact that traps wouldn't really trigger properly in a fight between two green-circled characters.
    edited November 2017
    With some rules this could be another game in BG saga on its own, consisting all creatures, bosses, npc's and charnames, and I don't think it would be even that hard or time consuming to make.
    edited November 2017

Never thought of that. Are spells hard coded, or can you change effects on them?
    Not hard-coded at all. You could actually use Near Infinity or WeiDu code to tweak those spells to affect the right person. But I'm not sure the community in general is very interested in PvP stuff; the idea has been floated before.
    edited November 2017

Not hard-coded at all. You could actually use Near Infinity or WeiDu code to tweak those spells to affect the right person. But I'm not sure the community in general is very interested in PvP stuff; the idea has been floated before.
    Oh that's sad, I would definitely pay 10€ or something like that for it if it was made officially. It would be fun to even just watch others play against each other. Like this

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FnEo9hV_fM4

Post edited by histamiini on