Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been announced! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to pre-order, apply for the Head Start and check for details. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Pickpocket campaign

I’ve always been obsessed with open locks and stealing in this game.
In Ultima 7 I had a private island stuffed with every single potted plant, gunpowder barrel and piece of cutlery that wasn’t bolted down in Brittania.
Similarly, I find myself compelled to loot EVERY SINGLE chest, bookshelf, drawer, etc in any town or city.

I never messed with pickpocketing, so I was wondering-
1- what class/race(s) are best
2- what my ideal pickpocket score would be
3- am I missing anything?
AerakarJuliusBorisov

Comments

• OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 404
    edited November 7
    1. It's the number of points you have in the skill that matter, not race. Race is only a factor to the extent that some races get bonuses to the number of thief points they get. Elves, gnomes and halflings all get nice bonuses to thief points so you would have more points to put into the style if you play one of those.
    2. That depends on how you're playing the game. If you're role-playing and want an innately good pickpocket, you'll want to get it pretty high. On the other hand, you could ignore the skill and just use potions of master thievery on the occasions you do want to steal things. They bump your score up by 40 points and they stack (which is ridiculous IMO). Technically, you could go without putting any points in the skill and just use potions during strategic crime sprees. The problem in BG1 is you don't have that many thief points and if you want to master finding traps and opening locks you'll have to be sparing in allocating points to other skills. Personally I never go higher than 45 points in BG1. By BG2 I might take it up to 60 and supplement it with gear and potions. Are you using a secondary thief? That way you can focus on locks/traps with one, and have another rogue focusing on stealth or pick pocketing etc.
    3. Well, there's a distinction to be made between pick-pocketing characters in the game and robbing stores. Robbing stores takes a considerably greater score to succeed. I'm not sure what it is in BG1, but in BG2 you generally want well over 100 points to succeed.

Edit: another factor is whether you're allowing reloads in your play-through. In a no-reload game, picking pockets is a very risky proposition and you'd want your score through the roof. On the other hand, if you are allowing reloads you can relax a bit.
    Abby_Zerotbone1AerakarJuliusBorisov
  • Abby_ZeroAbby_Zero Member Posts: 65
    deltago said:

Bards can also pickpocket, so you can play one of those as well.

Beamdog updated the pickpocket requirements. Some items that are worn can not be picked unless your score hogh enough.

Finding people who have pickable items can be a chore though. The 'easiest' way is to save, go on a killing spree and see what everyone drops, then reload to go after your five finger discount targets.

I was going to roll a bard for it anyway.

Is there a good ‘ideal’ score to go for?
    I noticed that people say open locks and find trap are ideal at 100 in the forums
    Thanks y’all
    I will have someone else do the traps and chest with my bard so I can take the pickpocket skill as high as I need

My current main campaign main character is a fighter/thief elf with pickpocket around 45 so it seems I’ll be able to do some mischief once I get to Baldur’s Gate proper
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 3,527
    The bard's pickpocket will automatically increase with levels. They have no thief points to allocate.
    Abby_Zero
    ThacoBell said:

The bard's pickpocket will automatically increase with levels. They have no thief points to allocate.

Lol you learn something new every day never took a bard past Candlekeep Inn’s front door before
    Bards are my favorite class. You are in for a treat.
    Abby_Zero

@ThacoBell, why don't you just come out and admit you are a lobbyist with the Global Association of Bards. ;)

If they wanna hire me...
    AerakarOrlonKronsteenAbby_ZeroStummvonBordwehr
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member Posts: 1,694
    I usually make Alora my 'goto' pickpocket, and have her start in Gullykin instead of the city of BG. She already starts with like 90 at 6th lvl. The rabbits foot is a bonus and a half on top, esp with +2 luck. At 130-135 she has never failed. I'll hock everything in the game (bought ND found), steal it all back, keep What I want and sell everything else back to a fence (them you can't steal from so keeps from stealing things twice). Even the dukes have nice goodies, Shandalar, etc.
    Gives 2-300k extra gold in the game.
    I also use the option that thieving potion don't stack so getting a good number is more important using that tweak.
    Much harder to steal in SoD though so I believe the rules changed there as far as difficulty goes.
    Abby_ZeroOrlonKronsteenAerakarStummvonBordwehr
  • thespacethespace Member Posts: 993
    Half elf bard will have 10 more points in PP over the human.
    Abby_ZeroOrlonKronsteentbone1Zaghoul