Skip to content

[Mod] DnD 3.5 Rules in Bg:EE and Bg2:EE v 2.0

Comments

• DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    I was thinking about doing another playthrough using this mod, will an update be coming out soonish or should I not wait? Thanks again for all the hard work :)
  • HolicHolic Member Posts: 66
    Hi @Dawglicious
    Thank you for your interest.
    There is 2.16 version on dev branch (https://github.com/Holic75/Baldurs-gate-dnd-3.5/tree/develop), which in particular aims to fix character export problem and makes a mod more friendly towards other ui mod,s plus fixes a bunch of bugs and makes some balance changes (you can find complete list of changes in 2.16changes.txt). I haven't had a lot of time to extensively test it yet, but it seems to be more or less stable. So if you want, you can give it a try (just be sure to make a save before every lvl up and e-mail me if you find any issue).
    edited January 2019
    @Holic fyi I tried downloading and installing the most recent dev branch in the last 15 minutes or so, and it won't install. I am getting the error: Failure("SPWI618.SPL: read out of bounds")

EDIT: Got the same error with the last main release as well. The only mods I installed are things that add spells or items: Weasels!, Lavas IWDEE item pack, Rogue Rebalancing (only the added items section), More style for mages (I did do all of this, including the improved familiars), and improved shamanic dance (the new spell and added IWDEE items only).
    Post edited by Dawglicious on
    Hi @Dawglicious
    It looks a bit strange, SPWI618 is just a spell deflection with which I do not do anything specific.
    Looks like some incompatibility issue with other mods, could you confirm that it is also does not work on a clean install?
    Also, could you tell me what game are you running?
    edited January 2019
    @Holic I will try a clean install tomorrow. I was installing on the most recent retail version of IWDEE. Maybe the new spells from mods messed with things somehow? Anyway I will report back after a clean install is attempted.
    edited January 2019
    @Holic so it was a mod conflict. The install on IWDEE went fine with no other mods installed. I am going to see if I can pin down what exactly caused it.

EDIT: It was Rogue Rebalancing. I only installed the "New items for thieves and bards" component, so I don't know why it was messing with the install.
    I have released 2.16 version of the mod. It can be found together with list of fixes and changes at https://github.com/Holic75/Baldurs-gate-dnd-3.5/releases/tag/2.16

• logojin7logojin7 Member Posts: 17
    Thank you very much for your hard work.
    When installed in Iwdee(I do not know about the bg series.)
    There seems to be a problem with the Spell moifications @4
    It looks like it's installed. WARNING: no effects added to SPPR422.SPL There is a phrase like this on the way.

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Classes and their abilities descriptions and changes, 2da files

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Feats

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Equipment overhaul

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS Spell modifications

This is the result. Of course I did not install mod anything. Is this okay to ignore?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Thanks @logojin7,
    indeed there seems to be a bug although generally harmless (it generally allows stacking of blood rage spell with barbarian rage, which should not be allowed)
  • turtletoonfanturtletoonfan Member Posts: 5
    Hi

Firstly I just want to say this is a GREAT idea, it will be fantastic to play the old BG using the 3.5 rules!

Just wanted to to know: Will this be compatible on mac? The first instruction is to put the files where the baldur.exe files is and then run setup-3ed.exe.... (I have never used mods before so don't know anything about modding).

Thanks for any help you can give AND for writing this mod in the first place.

Turtle Toon Fan

• Rosery99Rosery99 Member Posts: 5
    So I am having problems with the mod installation, it seems to be hanging...forever at the following line:

Updating Spell DC
    Copying and Patching 7945 files ....

But it's been hanging here for well over an hour. Now I get it to install once but had to remove it and try reinstalling it, because I REALLY didn't want the 1 rest per 8 hour thing. Nor the harder encounters as I'm not that amazing at BG2 to begin with. Despite my dozens of play throughs, I'm in it for the story. However every re-install of the mod hangs here...for an eternity. Halp?
    Hi @Rosery99
    Are you installing the mod on windows or linux?
    Are you installing it on clean BG2 install?
    Could you send me log files?
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    @everyone

Do yourselves a favor and play this mod. Incredible stuff which breaths a whole new life to the game.
    What file is Increases Saving Throw Penalties for stats implemented?
    @logojin7
    It is in the very beginning of 3ed\Component2\AutomaticFeats.tps. You may want to check how ADD_PSBP_FEAT function works to get a better understanding of parameters.
    Thank you for your answers. But I think my question was poor.
    I would like to know how to reduce the target saving throw for the spell by the stat
    Is the file that implements it within the scope of your answer?
    @logojin7
    It is a bit complex. In fact the mechanic behind it is to create effects that increase caster level by 30 per 2 points of spellcasting ability score above 10, and then for every spell to clone spell effects for levels 1-30 to 1-30 + 30*n while altering the saving throw penalty. You can find how it is implemented in 3ed\Component5\SpellDC.tps
    edited April 2019
    @Holic
    First, my gratitude for making this mod. I can't imagine the time you put into this; it's much fun.
    Second - some bugs I've noticed
    - barbarian rage does not last for it's intended duration, constitution only seems to delay fatigue effect, but has no effect on rage duration
    - priest of Lathander doesn't get poison immunity per description
    - when cast by a caster with "extend magic" feat spells' expiry sound doesn't get the new timing (this is cosmetic)
    - healing spells display "save vs spell" message

Third, some balance issues:
    - two-handed weapon style seems pretty weak compared to others, ditto sword & shield (I uderstand shields are more powwrful in this mod, but 2-weapon style seems best overall)
    - pips in weapons don't have much value for anyone bar true class fighter, since they're rare and usually better spent on other stuff
    - single-class cleric kits seem rather crappy compared to fighter-cleric; they have same limitation (-2 spells per level), with the exception of Talos (doesn't suffer -2 spells) and Lathander (for immunities)
    - critical hit protection. While this was implemented in Item Revisions, it was far less drastic. What happens in BG1 is that you can't melee anything, and if you play with SCS/aTweaks like I do then you'll witness this:

bxocate6uyzp.jpg

Yes, this creep gets 6 pips in single weapon style. As much as I like to make this game difficult, this is way overboard since there's no possible way to protect yourself from being hit and critted to death apart things such as pfmw/stoneskins.
    I tweaked this to vanilla behaviour for myself, and I'd suggest you make this optional. Even in BG1 you'll meet enemies that crit on 16+ rolls - to make things worse, they're thieves, and don't have to be invis to backstab with 3e Sneak attack enabled.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    This isn't such an issue per se (there are plenty enough classes here with backstab immunity) - but combined with >50 % crit chance and no critical hit immunity, it's painful to deal with simply since it makes AC moot.
    Few more:
    - Carsomyr doesn't seem to dispel on a regular basis anymore. I can't say what's causing the issue, "Dispel effects" string gets displayed yet nothing is removed. Sometimes itz work, sometimes not
    - disruption weapons also don't work. Undead get immunity to opcode "kill target" which these weapons use
    - blackguard Aura of Despair works like Lay on Hands

About "more powerful enemies":
    I'd prefer that enemies get beefed up in a slighty different manner - i.e. casters get Empower spell/faster casting, fighter types seem fine. I'd probably limit extra apr to 1 rather than 2 ( someToB enemies already get more base attacks as it is)
    Hi @Aasim
    Thanks for the feedback
    The problems you mentioned should fixed in 2.16.3 (except the way extend magic works which seems to be a feature of the corresponding opcode, and saving throws message for cure spells which is due to the way their effect on the undead is implemented)

Exellent.
    Talos priest doesn't get electric weapons, referenced file tlwpa1.spl doesn't exist in override.
    Berserker rage seems to have duration too short
    Shield amulet lasts 30 seconds, description states otherwise
    edited May 2019
    Aasim wrote: »
    Talos priest doesn't get electric weapons, referenced file tlwpa1.spl doesn't exist in override.
    Berserker rage seems to have duration too short
    Shield amulet lasts 30 seconds, description states otherwise

Thanks for feedback. I corrected this issues in 2.16.4. The berserker rage duration should be indeed shorter than that of the barbarian ( 3 rounds + 1 round per 2 points of CON above 10).

Also, importing characters from BG1 to BG2 makes them loose all Tome bonuses. I hotwired your mod on a EET install, the issue probably won't exist there.
  • wli9wli9 Member Posts: 3
    Aasim wrote: »
    Also, importing characters from BG1 to BG2 makes them loose all Tome bonuses. I hotwired your mod on a EET install, the issue probably won't exist there.

Hello, I'm also trying to install this mod on an EET install, but it only has bgee and bg2ee option. Can you tell me how to hotwire it?

Thanks
  • hakinarohakinaro Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2019
    Hi i wanted to say thanks for all the effort you have done trying to make this mod :)

Post edited by hakinaro on