Skip to content

[Mod] DnD 3.5 Rules in Bg:EE and Bg2:EE v 2.0

Comments

• DjinnDjinn Member Posts: 76
    Cool, just what I wanted to know, thank you! :)
  • Jon_DMJon_DM Member Posts: 9
    OMG is this mod for real? Make a donation site, I'll definetely support you!
  • mrmiffmiffmrmiffmiff Member Posts: 2
    I've already sent you an email about this @Holic but I am having trouble with installation. Admittedly, it's with Siege of Dragonspear installed, but I did use the modmerge utility beforehand. The two magic-related phases of installation are unable to work.
  • HolicHolic Member Posts: 66

I've already sent you an email about this @Holic but I am having trouble with installation. Admittedly, it's with Siege of Dragonspear installed, but I did use the modmerge utility beforehand. The two magic-related phases of installation are unable to work.

Hi @mrmiffmiff the mod actually is not compatible with Sod (and it has nothing to do with modmerge), since I did not have it when I was developing the mod. I'll try to get Sod and let you know, when the compatibility issue is fixed.
  • mrmiffmiffmrmiffmiff Member Posts: 2
    @Holic Thanks for the reply, but I'm actually having the same error without SoD installed, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Is there some utility I should be using for installation besides what's provided? The error logs I emailed you should be identical to what I'm getting even without SoD.
  • DymeDefDymeDef Member Posts: 66
    Curious how this would play out with other mods that make large sweeping changes. For instance, I love the featshow but am worried they will not work correctly with mods that alter base classes and kits and which add new ones.

How will the feat system react if we were to use say Scales of Balance, Might and Guile, and the remaining mods that make up that group; but wanted to use your feats system. Thanks
    @DymeDef

I suppose that as long as corresponding clab file names of new kits are in the form CLABsomething and you install DND 3.5 mod the latest it should work (i.e you will be able to select a feat at lvl1 and at every 3rd level and they will work properly) although if you want to give some bonus feats (say every 4 levels) to other kits you will have to define it manually for every new clab file or through 3ed\Component2\BonusFeatAttribution.tps (you can check it - it is relatively straightforward)
    edited January 2018
    @Holic
    Sorry, never really dug into mod making on this game though I have on various other games.

So by default so long as I don't install a proficiency overhaul the feats will work and be able to choose all 7 in a feat without any real modification? Only if I wanted to alter the feat progression of a class, correct?

I ask because I'm not sure how the p4oficiency table works, if it's defined by class files or what to how many points can be placed in each proficiency.
    edited January 2018
    @DymeDef The number of proficiency points character gets at each level is defined by class (so there is no need to change anything if you are just introducing new kits, since the mod takes care of it). The max number of stars you can put is defined by a kit though, so this should probably be changed manually in the file weapprof.2da
    edited January 2018
    @Holic Okay, so the main thing is have to do for the classes would be allow all proficiency slots to be added to, and up to 7 in their weapprof.2da files?

Sorry for the spam, just really like your feat system, it's awesome.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

DymeDef said:

How will the feat system react if we were to use say Scales of Balance, Might and Guile, and the remaining mods that make up that group; but wanted to use your feats system.

I don't have a ton of confidence that this will play nicely with those mods... certainly the SoB proficiencies will conflict, and the MnG dialogue-based feat system, as well as the FnP weapon usability system. To be honest the TnB/FnP/MnG/SoB series of mods, put together, add up to something like this: a set of rules approximating a later edition of the game. Though a different take on that approximation, of course.

When it comes down to it, though, the only way to identify men d conflicts for sure is to try them out, and see what breaks. :wink:
    It will most definitely break, I couldn't figure out a combination that wouldn't leave one of them stepping all over the others, which is unfortunate as ever since IWD2 I've been wanting a proper feat system in BG but I'll have to suffice with these two different implementations and build different setups for their different approaches (not a bad thing, more variety is always welcomed). I was planning at first to have to make some rules to keep myself from stacking too much between the two, but they just can't work as there's far too much general sweeping done by both setups as they cover the majority of the games base.

Like I said, not a bad thing though as now I can play both styles and appreciate both approaches.
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    edited February 2018
    Any chance this will be compatible with SoD?
    Or maybe it is already?
    The Readme says it is not tested woth SoD, but is there a specific reason why it would not run with it?

Thanks for this great mod the changes sound very nice.
    Hi @Darkersun

In fact I think it should be quite straightforward, just need to update npc stats and check/correct items that might conflict with the mod (I believe there is at least a shield giving turn undead bonus which is replaced with channel energy by the mod, and probably some others).

Right now it will not install with sod since installer checks for version of game and there are only paths for bg1, bg2 and iwd (which might probably work after 2.5 patch).

I'll try to make it work with sod at some point when I have a bit more free time.

Thanks for this detailed answer :) If I find the time, I would like to make a full walkthrough (BG1+SoD BG2+Bhaal) with the mod installed.
  • lanwrathlanwrath Member Posts: 18
    Hey, love the concept and implementation of this mod. Was looking through the source code in Git Hub and was looking into bringing Monkey the Halfling Monk from PnP into Baldur's Gate. I was looking at the Core/Proficiencies/Map/WEAPPROF.2DA file and saw that Monks have 0 in quarterstaff as well as everyone having a 7 in Halberd, FlailMorningstar, and Mace. Core/Proficiencies/Common/CLASWEAP.2DA also does not have an entry for Monk. Going to dl and install to my Ipad later to test a new char to see if it all works and I just don't fully understand the weapon prof implementation you have in place.

Also have you looked into the difficulties of porting in magic items from the SRD, and Special Materials from 3.5 or is that too much for the engine/too much to implement?
    edited February 2018
    Confirmed not working with version 2.4 of BG:EE on IPad, clean install no other mods. If your interested I can email you my SETUP-3ed.DEBUG.

Edit: I am an idiot, was not actually removing BG from my Ipad, just throwing new override and lang folders on top of my old stuff. This would more than likely explain all the other modding problems I was having.
    Post edited by lanwrath on
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @lanwrath - Monks have no proficiency in staff because the monk animation doesn’t support two-handed weapons. Bioware used the “two-handed” animation slot for the monk’s unarmed attack animations. If you allow a monk to equip a staff, they will perform punch-kick animations while the staff swings on its own floating in midair.

@lanwrath - Monks have no proficiency in staff because the monk animation doesn’t support two-handed weapons. Bioware used the “two-handed” animation slot for the monk’s unarmed attack animations. If you allow a monk to equip a staff, they will perform punch-kick animations while the staff swings on its own floating in midair.

1. Wow... just, wow. I have been a software engineer for a while and am constantly amazed by the crazy things people will do to make something fit in their 'perfect' system.
    2. Is there any way to change that or is it hard coded in?
  • Emardon_LareousEmardon_Lareous Member Posts: 60
    Are modders able to replace the weapon style proficiencies to grant bonuses similar to your other feat trees?
    An example of what I was thinking is a berserking tree which increases critical threat range modestly +1-2 at most and culminates with war cry instead of thac0 and critical bonuses for 2 handed fighting/single weapon style
    Hi @Emardon_Lareous

Yes it perfectly doable, you can look at 3ed/Component2 subfolder to see how the whole mechanics work, the only minor problem is that in this case you will need to give crit bonuses through spl effects, rather than through stylebonu.2DA, otherwise they will only apply when you fight with specific weapon type (2h, single weapon, etc...). Do not hesitate to ask if you have more questions regarding this subject, or have any concrete suggestions regarding feat trees, since I am ware that they might be not perfect.
  • TroubledButtonTroubledButton Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I'm currently installing the mod and there seems to be a problem, starting at:
    Installing [Creatures Regularization] [v2.10].

What happens is this:

Installing [Creatures Regularization] [v2.10].
    Copying and patching 1 file ...
    Copying and patching 3968 files ...
    ERROR: cannot convert ClassStr_LONG_SWORD or %ClassStr_LONG_SWORD% to an integer

(there's about 30 lines showing approximately the same thing)

And, for the last 30 minutes, the last line has been:

ERROR: cannot convert ClassStr_NO_CLASS or %ClassStr_NO_CLASS% to an integer

I don't know if it impacts the game a lot.

I had previously fully uninstalled the Tweaks Anthology and, since I'm using Steam, have previously applied the modmerger (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use).

I'll try a clean install and give an update here.

Cheers!
    Hi @TroubledButton

This error line is ok and should not influence the installation of the mod. So please disregard it. Sometimes though the installation might hang up at some random point (especially if you lock your screen, I believe it is a weidu issue), in this case simply try to reinstall it one more time (or install components 1 by 1).
  • TroubledButtonTroubledButton Member Posts: 2
    Hi, so installed it all. But, I get this through the installation:

ERROR Installing [New spells and spell redistribution], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 52 files for [3ED/3ED.TP2] component 4.
    Uninstalled 52 files for [3ED/3ED.TP2] component 4.
    ERROR: Failure("SET_STRING out of range")
    PLEASE email the file SETUP-3ED.DEBUG to holic.denis@gmail.com
    Using Language [English]

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS New spells and spell redistribution

So, if necessary, I'll send you the debug file.

Cheers
    Any news about SoD compatibility?
    In a perfect world, I would like to play this with EET, so I can go from level 1 to 30+ in one walkthrough.
    Are there any issues to expect with EET? Did anybody test it?
    Darkersun said:

Any news about SoD compatibility?
    In a perfect world, I would like to play this with EET, so I can go from level 1 to 30+ in one walkthrough.
    Are there any issues to expect with EET? Did anybody test it?

Hi @Darkersun
    Yes you can get a develop branch from git, it has experimental sod support (although export from bg does not work and you will need to start a new game). The EET is not supported (should be doable though but unfortunately I don't have a lot of free time now, but would welcome any help on this project)
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    @Holic
    what a great mod

please consider giving branwen the priest of tempus kit, and possibly even giving viconia the priest of shar kit (you'd need to make it...). this is conceptually in line with 2.5 changes

also, I think that safana should not be a swashbuckler based on her portrait and general attitude. maybe she could be a ninja?

would you reenable dual-classing while giving it some serious downside? (xp penalty maybe)
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for the answer, so I need to start with a new party in SoD or a new party from level 1?

How hard is it to get into modding the BG saga? I only know to use the EE Keeper and that is it.
    I really like how this mod is a complete overhaul, everything sounds like it will work really well together.
    There are alot of great mods, but often they change only parts of the classes & rulessystem and are not all build on the same level.
    Darkersun said:

Thanks for the answer, so I need to start with a new party in SoD or a new party from level 1?

How hard is it to get into modding the BG saga? I only know to use the EE Keeper and that is it.
    I really like how this mod is a complete overhaul, everything sounds like it will work really well together.
    There are alot of great mods, but often they change only parts of the classes & rulessystem and are not all build on the same level.

You just need to start a new game in sod. You will start with a 1st level character(s), all other party members will start with level 0, but everyone will immediately receive 64000 xp, so you will be able to level up them to level 7 the way you want.

Modding is not really hard, as long as you have a bit of experience in software development. You will need just weidu, Near Infinity and info on the file formats and scripting which can be found at https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/. Regarding EET compatibility , I guess implementing it would mostly consist in verifying that the updates to spells are still valid and correcting them in case of problems; I expect most of other components to work directly as they are (but I might be wrong).
    bob_veng said:

@Holic
    what a great mod

please consider giving branwen the priest of tempus kit, and possibly even giving viconia the priest of shar kit (you'd need to make it...). this is conceptually in line with 2.5 changes

also, I think that safana should not be a swashbuckler based on her portrait and general attitude. maybe she could be a ninja?

would you reenable dual-classing while giving it some serious downside? (xp penalty maybe)

Hi @bob_veng, thanks for the feedback.
    If you want to change some npc classes, there is post somewhere in this thread where I explained how it can be easily done, by editing certain text files and reinstalling the mod.

Regarding specialty priests for Branwen or Viconia, you can instead chose the corresponding domains as per dnd 3.5 rules (for example war or glory for Branwen and moon or trickery for Viconia).

The main problem with dual classing is that it would allow characters to get twice as many feats (and other quite powerful class abilities) which I'm not sure can be compensated by any reasonable xp penalty (50% will only hinder character by 1 level in the beginning, while let's say 33% - only by 2, which is definitely not sufficient)