Skip to content

Player's Resource Consortium Pack

Zane_WolfeZane_Wolfe Member Posts: 6
edited November 2017 in General Discussions NWN:EE
It's quite nice to see NWN having fresh life breathed back into it, and to see the old premium modules brought back as well, but not everyone played NWN for the Persistent Worlds. Some like myself stuck only to the single player campaign and the various custom modules. Now I have Baluder's Gate EE, so I know you guys are good at what you do. However I already have a GOG copy of NWN Diamond. So I find myself asking, "What would make this worth paying $40?" And I come down to a single response. "Does it run my favorites?"

Now the general response is that it should run every module in the Vault, which is all good. But far and away my favorite mod for NWN was the PRC Pack. It added so much that it's files were 2x-3x the size of NWN Diamond itself. However it also required editing the game files to an extent just to make all the various base classes and PrCs work with the original campaign and expansions. And so I ask, does the Enhanced Edition come with the classes and features of the PRC Pack built in? Does it work with the PRC Pack out of box as it were? And if no in both those cases, what, if anything, can be done to make the two mesh together?

You guys and gals at Beamdog do amazing work, and I was perfectly content to pay for Baldur's Gate, as I didn't have a copy previously. But as a parent my funds are tight at the best of times, and $40 is a lot of money to pay for a game I already have a working copy of. I'm not asking for the price to be lowered, you work hard and deserve to be paid for it. I just want to know if it does what I would want it to do, before I try and see where I can squeeze funds from.

Comments

• 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    I personally agree! It seems like you're someone talking some sense.

In a sense, I loved the original package of NWN by itself. If anything, I liked features like the PRC pack that helped to add more classes to the OC + expansions.

The creators are really hung up on the user-made content, but there are people like me that mostly to barely dabbled in that sort of stuff. Here's to hoping that PRC is compatible.

However, hoping for the PRC pack to be built in is kinda a great long shot to nil. My original request was to hope that Shayan's Subrace Engine was better integrated into the game, for that seems like something definitely achievable
  • Talon79Talon79 Member Posts: 10
    PRC is a must for a BIG breath of fresh air.
    Or need to add a "create custom class/race" option (with a save file.xx that you can export and import easier in a game).
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    Yup, without PRC pack NWN wouldn't be NWN. I too would like to know if it will be compatible.
  • MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56
    If we get the spellbooks unlocked, the PRC team could basically make all of the classes just as viable as the core classes. That would indeed be rather wonderful.
    Mordaedil said:

If we get the spellbooks unlocked, the PRC team could basically make all of the classes just as viable as the core classes. That would indeed be rather wonderful.

You mean that PRC classes could use spells/powers/abilities like core classes can? That would be sweeeet.
  • MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56
    GawainBS said:

Mordaedil said:

You mean that PRC classes could use spells/powers/abilities like core classes can? That would be sweeeet.
    Exactly. This is why there is some clamoring for race selection, spellbook opening and classes being selectable from the start.

Someone earlier said classes could be picked from the start if you installed the latest NWN Community patch, but I tried that and they were apparently lying to me, or meant a beta patch I did not find.
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    I actually never managed to play the PRC add on, wanted to play the OC with it and I vaguely remember my younger self giving up after two days without any reason...
  • DalamarDalamar Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone figured out how to install it? The .exe installer doesn't work, and the .rar one has folders that the beamdog install doesn't have.
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    edited November 2017
    I too can't imagine playing the game again very much without all the goodness the PRC pack added. That's why I mentioned it in my post on the game mechanics suggestion thread (which I made before I noticed this thread). It would be great if the hardcoded limitations the PRC pack ran into could be addressed so that there is the possibility of even more content that could be added.
    That would be superawesome. I have to confess: I barely played Psychic Warrior or Blade Adepts because I was not too keen on using their powers/manouvres through a dialogue tree, despite these being some of my favourite classes in D&D.
    It would also be nice if Beamdog gave some of the classes the "3.5 update", to make them more fun/versatile to play solo. (i.e. in the campaigns.)
    Small anecdote: back in the day, I was always frustrated that the "CEP" (Community Expansion Pack) got all the spotlights on the official website, while the PrC was virtually shunned. CEP added more visuals and even then only if you downloaded mods created with that in mind, while PrC completely changed the ENTIRE game on a fundamental level for the better.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Wasn't PRC discontinued for some reason -- I vaguely recall that there was a fight or something within the community that the author decided to drop PRC? Or was that in NWN2? I'm a big fan of PRC as well. I'd love it built in with the game (optional, to accomodate others' preference), or be officially supported by Beamdog, or at the very least, have the game be updated with PRC always in mind, unlocking engine limitations here and there for PRC. I second that, NWN isn't NWN without PRC.
  • Zane_WolfeZane_Wolfe Member Posts: 6
    PRC2, the version for NWN2, was discontinued. The original just simply stopped getting new additions.
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    I'd love to see the Warlock as a proper new base class thanks to non-hardcoded spellbook!

Illustair said:

Wasn't PRC discontinued for some reason -- I vaguely recall that there was a fight or something within the community that the author decided to drop PRC? Or was that in NWN2? I'm a big fan of PRC as well. I'd love it built in with the game (optional, to accomodate others' preference), or be officially supported by Beamdog, or at the very least, have the game be updated with PRC always in mind, unlocking engine limitations here and there for PRC. I second that, NWN isn't NWN without PRC.

It was dropped for NWN2, I have taken up the reins and started development on upgrading it and improving the PRC for NWN 1. I have not heard from anyone about having anything implemented so far and would be interested in working to add some of the PRC into the new version of the game.
    PRC2, do you mean Kaedrin's Pack?
    Yeah the one he rage quit and tried to delete from the internet. Never did figure out a straight answer why.

Yeah the one he rage quit and tried to delete from the internet. Never did figure out a straight answer why.

I heard about some troubles, but it's still available, right? A pity he didn't continue it, because it vastly enhances NWN2.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    GawainBS said:

I heard about some troubles, but it's still available, right? A pity he didn't continue it, because it vastly enhances NWN2.
    You should read his blog.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Zane_Wolfe -

If I recall correctly he got mad because a persistant world server edited his classes (or some other content) to balance them to their server's power level. He didn't like that, so he tried to make them stop using his content and they responded by going "no, you released this under an open license so we're going to use it". After which he withdrew his mod from and said he was only going to release it under whatever other license from then on.

Don't know how anything developed after that. I was part of said server at the time (but not involved with any of the moderation/design), so my view of it may be biased in their favour. But mostly I think it is just biased against people who let small-time mod community fame go to their head.
    scriver said:

If I recall correctly he got mad because a persistant world server edited his classes (or some other content) to balance them to their server's power level. He didn't like that, so he tried to make them stop using his content and they responded by going "no, you released this under an open license so we're going to use it". After which he withdrew his mod from and said he was only going to release it under whatever other license from then on.

Don't know how anything developed after that. I was part of said server at the time (but not involved with any of the moderation/design), so my view of it may be biased in their favour. But mostly I think it is just biased against people who let small-time mod community fame go to their head.

No, that's not bias. If that's what happened, then he needs to pull his head out of his own ass. One PW out of DOZENS making minor power adjustments isn't a reason to throw a tantrum and remove everything for everyone.
    The problem there is that you can't actually get any of this 'new content'. There is no link to download any of it. The only version of PRC2 you can actually download are older versions still around on the web.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    There's an August 2017 post from him saying that there would be some delays. Does it mean he's working on it again (only that RL is on the way)? Or did the mess come right after that post? I seem to remember that it happened long ago, so that must mean he picked it up again.
    Hopefully he'll post an update soon.
    We can only hope so. It's topquality content and very userfriendly.
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    If I recall correctly, the PRC didn't get the same love as it was a rules implementation and as it was not designed, validated and approved by the Wizards of the Coast it could not be "official". As such it was a great thing for the community, but it was not something we could work with.
  • clansunstarclansunstar Member Posts: 33
    edited November 2017
    Thank you, Trent, for replying, I would like to say I do plan on upgrading the PRC to the EE. I do plan on trying to free up some of the space in the PRC, so I would look forward to any material that was originally Wizards that the PRC used showing up in the EE as it would help me free up space if I did not need to upgrade a race, class, prestige class, spell, feat, etc . I may post questions on the forum to get the upgrade fully compatible with the EE version. :)
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    @TrentOster How about a WotC approved version of PRC... like the races/subraces/PrCs from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting?
  • SweatTeaSweatTea Member Posts: 1
    I think it will still be a community thing but instead the community will get more freedom to add those things properly such as the hak preloading character creation.

MadHatter said:

@TrentOster How about a WotC approved version of PRC... like the races/subraces/PrCs from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting?

I can imagine that that is a legal minefield.
    I'd be happy with the EE making it easier to integrate the PRC into the game directly.
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992

I'd be happy with the EE making it easier to integrate the PRC into the game directly.

THIS. The few things that the PRC missed were due to hardcoded limits. Remove them, and the PRC will be able to become perfect (namely, hardcoded passive feats, hardcoded metamagic feats, hardcoded spellbooks, no subrace menu)