Skip to content

Player's Resource Consortium Pack

Comments

• MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56
    Yeah, that's really on the top of my wish-list. It would also make some of the already implemented classes a bit of a conflicted mess though. Blackguards and assassins were supposed to have their own spell-lists instead of just feats that replicated a handful of spells.

Them becoming true casters with a spell-list would be a god-send for the community.
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    The spellbook issue is the major factor preventing me from going Mystic Theurge. Removing the level cap and adding the possibility of more than 3 classes overall would work great with the PRC.
  • ildaronildaron Member Posts: 52

I'd be happy with the EE making it easier to integrate the PRC into the game directly.

I agree with this as well. While official things are nice I believe most people will be happy with just being able to play what they wish with their friends. Even such a thing is ever officially approved more than a few people may wish to make a few tweaks for their module simply so everything works for their setting.
  • Zane_WolfeZane_Wolfe Member Posts: 6

If I recall correctly, the PRC didn't get the same love as it was a rules implementation and as it was not designed, validated and approved by the Wizards of the Coast it could not be "official". As such it was a great thing for the community, but it was not something we could work with.

Well, on the one paw that sucks, on the other claw that makes perfect sense. Unfortunately I'll have to add this to my 'nice but not now' pile. As I said before I've got a working copy of Diamond with PRC, and I just can't see myself playing NWN without the PRC. That being said I'd be happy to pick up a copy once it does work with the PRC, be it official or from community work.
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    Agreed, Strat was good stuff. I never got into using PRC, but we hung out on IRC a fair bit and we borrowed some ideas back and forth (Strat asked permission to use some of our vfx models at one point, but I dunno if he ever deployed them - he did have our blessing).

-Dave
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    shadguy said:

Agreed, Strat was good stuff. I never got into using PRC, but we hung out on IRC a fair bit and we borrowed some ideas back and forth (Strat asked permission to use some of our vfx models at one point, but I dunno if he ever deployed them - he did have our blessing).

-Dave

He did an amazing amount of good for the NWN community. Most of it begrudgingly... But amazing amounts of good nonetheless!
  • clansunstarclansunstar Member Posts: 33
    Stratovarius was amazing and is greatly missed. The PRC could have been something incredible had he worked on it longer, but I can understand his reasons for stepping away. I am hoping this next edition of the PRC can live up to his standards and even excel what he wanted it to be.

One of my hopes with updating the PRC is to get rid of the existing spell system in the PRC and set things up more so like the standard game. I also want to set feats up so if you don't qualify for the feat it dosen't show up.

Hopefully I can get a good team together to upgrade it.
    And confirmed that Race menu is becoming dynamic.
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523

Meaning to the non-programming shrubs? :smile: That all PrC races would selectable when creating a character in game, instead of via an outside program?
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    It's currently static with only seven selections. It will be dynamic, allowing modders to add more selections.
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    GawainBS said:

Meaning to the non-programming shrubs? :smile: That all PrC races would selectable when creating a character in game, instead of via an outside program?
    The answer to that is maybe. We still need to know if the new races can take any model type or only parts based creatures. If they have to be parts based creatures then you will have to wait until though models are all completed by CC makers. In the outside prc program you could select any model type, which is nice but they would not show armor selections etc.. More information is needed at this point.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381

Thank you, Trent, for replying, I would like to say I do plan on upgrading the PRC to the EE. I do plan on trying to free up some of the space in the PRC, so I would look forward to any material that was originally Wizards that the PRC used showing up in the EE as it would help me free up space if I did not need to upgrade a race, class, prestige class, spell, feat, etc . I may post questions on the forum to get the upgrade fully compatible with the EE version. :)

I did try updating my game with the PRC. The closest I got to was actually updating the modules. Then I clicked the PRC Updater.exe (whatever it's called), but it just said that NWN isn't installed.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    edited December 2017
    Mostly, I'd really like to see all the base classes selectable at character creation. The PRC CC was okay... however it's so so SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO annoying creating a new character.

I always have to open the toolset and see what the names are for the specific head I want on my character. In terms of PRC, it's always been about the classes. I wouldn't exactly be that sad to see the races gone if it would make integrating the classes easier into the game.
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    1130210 said:

Mostly, I'd really like to see all the base classes selectable at character creation. The PRC CC was okay... however it's so so SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO annoying creating a new character.

I always have to open the toolset and see what the names are for the specific head I want on my character. In terms of PRC, it's always been about the classes. I wouldn't exactly be that sad to see the races gone if it would make integrating the classes easier into the game.

Hehe, I know the frustration.
    At this time I don't think the PRC can be done as I believe custom spellcasters can not be made. I will be upgrading it for the 1.72 version of NWN but unless things change from what i am told it would be pointless to try and reproduce the PRC in the EE.

If things change I would like to upgrade it to the EE but I would not feel right taking that much content out of it.

I can understand the frustration with the character creation and the PRC. I am hoping to make that an easier thing to accomplish in the future update.

Why can't custom spellcasters be made the same way they are in the current PRC version?
    I was told they could not be created in the EE, not sure why or what changed. I have heard one report someone got them to work but I can't confirm it yet.

I was told they could not be created in the EE, not sure why or what changed. I have heard one report someone got them to work but I can't confirm it yet.

Hopefully BD is going to unlock spellbooks so major updates will happen?

Who said that? Trent said during Friday's stream that they want to unlock things to make it easier to add classes as well as races.

Who said that? Trent said during Friday's stream that they want to unlock things to make it easier to add classes as well as races.
    Here is the topic I was directed to.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/67683/thoughts-on-how-to-make-custom-casters-work#latest
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    You could never really make custom spell casting classes that work normally. Even if you copy and paste an existing spellcaster class to a new row it wont work properly.
  • TemplarDrakeTemplarDrake Member Posts: 44
    Mordaedil said:

GawainBS said:

Mordaedil said:

If we get the spellbooks unlocked, the PRC team could basically make all of the classes just as viable as the core classes. That would indeed be rather wonderful.

You mean that PRC classes could use spells/powers/abilities like core classes can? That would be sweeeet.
    Exactly. This is why there is some clamoring for race selection, spellbook opening and classes being selectable from the start.

Someone earlier said classes could be picked from the start if you installed the latest NWN Community patch, but I tried that and they were apparently lying to me, or meant a beta patch I did not find.
    It is possible. I run a PrC CEP server where you can choose PRC classes at character creation. It needs the NWN 1.71.
    The only way I see beamdog making custom casters, is to make a separate custom .2da that matches back to the spells.2da with just columns of the custom caster they can cast. Then change the class.2da spellcaster column to be able to read a 2 for custom caster and if it a 2 in that column(use custom .2da mention above column matching the class name, so you can match up with spells). Would have to make some engine changes to link this all together. This would handle backward compatibility and allow for custom caster classes.
    I agree but I was thinking it would be more consistent if they add a column to classes 2da as "spellbook" with a reference to a 2da name like cls_feat_* so cls_spell_* which is ignored and set to **** on the lines used for existing spellcasting classes.

Other things to add to the classes 2da would be toggles and references for things like metamagic, practiced spell casting, spellgain/cl prc mapping 2da, spell power, domains, domain spell list 2das and so on.

I agree but I was thinking it would be more consistent if they add a column to classes 2da as "spellbook" with a reference to a 2da name like cls_feat_* so cls_spell_* which is ignored and set to **** on the lines used for existing spellcasting classes.

Other things to add to the classes 2da would be toggles and references for things like metamagic, practiced spell casting, spellgain/cl prc mapping 2da, spell power, domains, domain spell list 2das and so on.

You could not modify the class.2da with more columns for possibility of breaking backwards compatibility. The others could be referred to in the custom.2da. The 2 in SpellCaster column would not break backward compatibility. I'm sure BD is looking into this. There would need to be a lot of testing and work on this so I see this as a down the road kind of thing. BD working on crashes/bug fixes and then slowly adding features as not to break things and doing a good job so far.
    I'm not sure that an extended 2da would necessarily break comparability. For example you could read the file data in the program but it just wouldn't use additional columns. If there's no additional column then the engine defaults to an empty value.

If it's programmed that it rolls over a set number of columns then it should be extendable that you can handle cases of old shorter files and new enhanced files. Am I missing something that intrinsically makes 2da extension impossible even with access to the source code?

I'm not entirely sure but I think I remember seeing Obsidian also added some columns for feats in NWN2 which were added in expansions.
  • MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56

It is possible. I run a PrC CEP server where you can choose PRC classes at character creation. It needs the NWN 1.71.

I ended up uninstalling it because it added a bunch of crap I don't really like, like colored icons.
    Mordaedil said:

I ended up uninstalling it because it added a bunch of crap I don't really like, like colored icons.
    The future version of the PRC I am trying to create will have it so those using it in single player games and those who create mods/ pw's will be able to select those type of things as options. or be at the least be able to turn it off. :)
  • ThorssonThorsson Member Posts: 190
    Sorry, but if coloured icons is really such a big deal to someone, they'll probably find another reason not to like it, if you fix that.