Skip to content

Main differences between Neverwinter Nights and the Baldurs Gate games?

What are the main differences bewteen Neverwinter Nights and the Baldurs Gate games? I know NwN is 3D and has a different story and places, but what are the main gameplay or mechanics differences?

Comments

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    The main gameplay/mechanics are:

Baldur's Gate is AD&D 2nd Edition, whereas Neverwinter Nights is D&D 3rd Edition.
    Baldur's Gate is party-based, with up to five other characters with you at any given time. Neverwinter Nights only allows one character with you in the OC, and two characters in Hordes of the Underdark. I think Shadows of Undrentide also limits you to one character.

Not an exhaustive list, just what comes to mind.
  • superfly2000superfly2000 Member Posts: 76
    Like you said...the graphics are more advanced (or at least different). Being a spiritual predecessor to BG and all. I think the biggest difference is that it is in general more advanced and also allows for more multiplayer (and even persistent worlds). Also it has a toolset that lets players create their own adventures...and a DM client.

A much more robust and modern D&D online/multiplayer platform so to speak.

For single player...few things beat BG...although some of the player created SP adventures for NWN I've heard are very good....and you have a neverending supply of them :-) Not a SP player myself. I'm all MP :-)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Ah, yeah, I forgot the multiplayer side of things, which is pretty huge.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    One very obvious change is that each time you level in NVN you choose your class so that everyone can multiclass. Effectively this means you often choose class more as a package of feats and skills rather than a full-time career. NVN has skills as well, which BG doesn't except for thieves. So all classes can invest points in different skills, ie Diplomacy, disable traps or craft weapons. You also get feats on level-up in NVN and feats are one-time effects/abilities you choose to enhance and specialize your character.

So to summarize you could say that in third edition DnD you use skills and feats from classes to customize a unique character but in BG2 you pick a class or a multiclass and get a (mostly) predetermined list of abilities.

I like both for different reasons, but personally I often find myself overwhelmed by the choices you can make in 3E where you can combine classes, skills and feats infinitely to create amazing builds. For me though, this makes the character more diluted but more power-gamey oriented. YMMV though and you don't have to combine many different classes and prestige classes, you can still play a straight up wizard if fyou want. But for me it's like being a candy shop without surveillance, I just can't keep my fingers out of all those jars of candy - I want them ALL! At the same time! ;)
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    The thing I liked most when I first played NWN was the freedom in character creation compared to BG. Partially the skills and classes that @Skatan mentioned. But also that I could have a halfling sorcerer armed with a crossbow or dual-wielding kukris. Oh, there's another: the large variety of weapons.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    NWN - a diablo-like, or rogue-lite
    Baldur's Gate - new experience
    NWN is not really much like Diablo or Rogue.
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    imho it's more about the toolset, there are some unique player created modules and servers which changes the game immensely and creates a unique experience each time.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 877
    I last played NWN about a decade ago, but I played a fair amount of it. Based on that recollection...

In many respects I think that NWN is inferior to BG (and other IE games):
    (a) aesthetics (the IE games looks way more beautiful; I don't care about 3D);
    (b) story (the base NWN campaign is pretty 'meh' compared to any of the IE games [even IWD], though the later campaigns [Undrentide + Underdark] are pretty good);
    (c) rules system (I prefer AD&D over 3e D&D);
    (d) characters (you can only have 1-2 companions in NWN, and they're generally not as fun or interesting as those in BG or PST; you also have less 'control' over them).

BUT: NWN had a tonne of fan-made downloadable modules (some of which were very good) and Persistent Worlds. I used single-player modules more than PWs, but the options for play beyond the official campaigns were enormous.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I pretty much agree with @Thrasymachus HOWEVER I did enjoy NWN, even the OC campaign. They’re very different game styles; I just prefer the the older versions of the rules to versions 3+. YMMV.
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    It would be easier to say what they have in common. Here is the list of similarities:

• JiveOneJiveOne Member Posts: 43
    One thing I love about NWN and 3rd edition is the character creation. Instead of only getting bonuses on high stat numbers like 15 or above, you instead get a bonus(or penalty) for every 2 points above(or below) 10. So for example a dexterity of 14 would give a +2 to armor class or a strength of 8 would give a -1 to hit penalty. This makes for somewhat realistic stats for your character and avoids the pressure of trying to get 18's in everything.

The prestige classes are also awesome. The one downside would be certain multiclasses aren't as viable for example the cleric/mage. You can still do it but because the experience system is based on combined class levels instead of separate, it holds back each class a lot more.
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    JiveOne said:

One thing I love about NWN and 3rd edition is the character creation. Instead of only getting bonuses on high stat numbers like 15 or above, you instead get a bonus(or penalty) for every 2 points above(or below) 10. So for example a dexterity of 14 would give a +2 to armor class or a strength of 8 would give a -1 to hit penalty. This makes for somewhat realistic stats for your character and avoids the pressure of trying to get 18's in everything.

The prestige classes are also awesome. The one downside would be certain multiclasses aren't as viable for example the cleric/mage. You can still do it but because the experience system is based on combined class levels instead of separate, it holds back each class a lot more.

I used to use mage and warrior type in multi class builds all the time though. Usually just for the feats and skills that come with being that class so might be only 6 levels at the most, and seldom more than 1. I think only of my most successful player vs player builds involved 4 levels of sorcerer 6 levels of monk and 30 of rogue.