Skip to content

Head Start First Impressions

I transferred over my current module-in-progress (with its 3+ gigs of custom content) from the Diamond Edition to the EE and played/tested it for a while, and figured I'd post my initial impressions here. Now, in these early stages, I wasn't expecting all that much of a change to the core system, but it was still good to see that overall it was a smooth process with no unexpected issues. All my haks, override, and custom tlk worked fine. As to the new features we have so far:

1. First, I was glad to see that an issue I was having with invisible cloaks and robes after the latest NVidia driver update has been fixed for my gtx980ti card
2. It seems that skinmeshes are correctly receiving lighting now, so they no longer look darker than trimeshes
3. In general, graphical fidelity looks to be much improved at 1900x1080 resolution, though I'd like to be able to upscale the GUI (the only option I see in settings is to set it at 1)
4. The new font is a nice improvement IMO
5. I'm not that big a fan of the contrast or vibrancy effects, but that might just be because I'm so used to the "traditional" look of the game. Depth of field is nice to have, though. I'm looking forward to seeing what can be done with other shader effects as well
6. Overall, I think you guys are doing a hell of a job, and I'm excited to see what is yet to come...

So clearly, this is a somewhat sparse post, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware of how much appreciated your efforts are

Comments

• MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    Ancarion said:

I'd like to be able to upscale the GUI (the only option I see in settings is to set it at 1)

This 1000x.

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Thanks for that. I was hoping for item 1 to be the case.
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    As I mentioned in another thread, the GUI scaling on 1080p is less than ideal:

The original UI was made with 800x600 in mind, and in many cases it requires 600 pixels in height. The way scaling works, is just extends everything by a factor of 2x or 3x, which means that minimal resolution for 2x UI would be 1600x1200. Anything below that, and UI elements can end up overlapping with each other.

1.5x wouldn't exactly work, as you'd get distorted or blurred images because you can't easily extend it.

Although, an option to force 2x scaling (with a warning that it might not work properly) would be good.

• JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    I might be off here, but I expect that the first thing that most new and returning players will do is go to the OCs and start with something familiar to get an idea what's new. At least that is what I did and so far I'm not impressed at all.

Is this an early alpha stage that we're seeing? I expected, at least, some of the basics that DB had the sense to add to the other EE games, such as the advanced loot tool, always highlight option, and updating the OCs to current patch levels. I was disappointed.

I've also had to turn off all of Advanced Frame-Buffer Effects selections on a modern computer. Because of this, I'm not really seeing any benefits of having the EE version over the GOG version. Maybe someone else can tell me how single players will benefit having the EE version?
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Hey, thanks for the kind words! Appreciate that the effort is noticed. (The darker skinmeshes were a pain, weren't they?)

What you are seeing is Early Access/Head Start/Beta/whateveryouwanttocallit, and thus not the final release. We're actively taking bug reports and feature requests. It's done when it's done.

Single players will benefit from EE changes through what module authors will do with the new features we put in (in addition to hardware compatibility, performance improvements, platform support, and so on ..) There are no changes to the original campaigns planned yet.
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    @niv: Thank you for the quick reply. I don't mean to be so harsh, but it's frustrating to know that there is so much potential here and I'm probably just blind to much of it. I don't mean to discredit any of you working so hard on this.
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    @Jidokwon No worries, no offence taken and your questions were/are quite valid. We all realise this is going to be a road to walk, not run. Happy to receive feedback.
  • FutabotFutabot Member Posts: 12
    Piggybacking on this thread. On scaling 2, weapon focus window isn't scaling up.

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2017
    @Futabot , how did you get UI scaling to work? Mine only has "1" available.

Widescreen resolutions did not work for me on the GoG version, on my present computer nor on my past two computers. They do on my Head Start Beamdog version. That alone is worth my money. I'll be playing part of Chapter One today to see if I hit any glitches. So far, the only one is what I mentioned that UI scaling doesn't seem to be working yet. Sometimes I see some double-letter blurring in some of the movie captions and in the load screens.
  • devSindevSin Member Posts: 32

The options depend on the resolution (1080p only presents "1" by design).

You might be able to edit the INI to force scaling, though the notes say that it will be discarded if the UI won't fit for the target resolution (so it may just go back to 1 anyway).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited November 2017

Please, don't miss our release notes, they mention the INI settings. https://www.beamdog.com/files/nwnee_release_notes.pdf

The team will look at eventually adding 2x scaling to 1080p (no promises right now).

@Futabot I reported this issue on Redmine, please, for future bugs, report them according to the instructions here - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66998/how-to-report-bugs-you-find-in-nwn-ee#latest
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Well, I've now played through the tutorial and into Chapter One, and my druid is standing at the gates of the Peninsula District with his panther, his dire badger, and Tomi Undergallows.

My first impression is that I immediately noticed the huge difference in color saturation. It had to display on my big screen HDTV for me to see it. That is, it's not noticeable in any of the online videos or streaming I've seen, but in 1080 resolution on my HDTV the difference is striking.

One criticism I've heard over and over is that people can't see the improvements in video quality, (mostly from people who have not bought it and can only look at the streaming videos I think), but I could instantly see it, and I was blown away by how much more beautiful it looks.

You have to get into playing the game to see how the video clarity and color saturation have improved, which I guess is somewhat unfortunate, since I understand why people who maybe don't love this game as much as I do are hesitating to buy it.

I can say that in the small amount I've played today, I've seen no signs of any instability or glitching in the game, other than some very slight blurriness in some of the movie captioning, which I think has to do with HD font scaling, and is not a big deal.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to keep playing or to wait for more features to be added, as I do have some other games competing for my attention right now.
  • ValgavValgav Member Posts: 25
    I need upscale x1.5 on my 28 inch monitor with 1440p, x1 looks super small and x2 makes me feel that I'm playing on 800x600 (I double checked resolution). Also cursor is visibly blurry when upscaled.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    I played through the prologue. High contrast seems to be an improvement in every scene so far, but vibrance is just too much. It makes the game look like white balance is off.

I think I'll wait until the GUI improves and then I'll try something other than the original campaign.
  • devSindevSin Member Posts: 32
    The vibrancy option is just gross. There's no other word for it.

High contrast is a boon, though. A little tone-mapping goes a long way.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    Liking high contrast and depth of vision, unsure about vibrance so far. Maybe a little too vibrant in the sense that colors at times appear "saturated"? At least in combo with the two others. Alone... Nah, I'm really not sure what to think. Have left all "on" for now. :-)
  • InflatableFriendInflatableFriend Member Posts: 57
    Enjoying it so far.

No luck getting the AO shader to function to any visible degree, I'll have another poke later on today.

If you find the vibrance settings a bit much just tone them down, the settings are located in the fsFBVIB.shd file in the /ovr folder of the games instal directory.

change the line
    uniform vec3 RGBBalance = vec3 (1.0, 1.0, 1.0);
    to
    uniform vec3 RGBBalance = vec3 (0.3, 0.3, 0.3);

and you'll get a much less in-your-face pop to the colours. Tweak those values if you want more saturation.

Trying to figure out how to do a normal shader, somewhat limited by my utter lack of experiance with shaders.
  • tybtyb Member Posts: 4

Liking high contrast and depth of vision, unsure about vibrance so far. Maybe a little too vibrant in the sense that colors at times appear "saturated"? At least in combo with the two others. Alone... Nah, I'm really not sure what to think. Have left all "on" for now. :-)

actually they've made it totally compatible with Reshade, and very moddable, so i think these shaders (contrast,DOF, vibrance) are just an example of what it's possible to do, but the devs are doing good by reworking deeply the game to make it easily accessible to players and modders, and for sure you can't show this work in a "trailer"
    there's some tweaking i've made (ingame shaders disabled) : https://imgur.com/a/k3ZlG