Skip to content

multi Fighter-Mage: melee vs. ranged weapons

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
For a multi-class Fighter-Mage (mine will be half-elf but this poll applies more broadly to all available races) what is your preference for combat style and why?
  1. multi Fighter-Mage: melee vs. ranged weapons88 votes
    1. Melee - Sword and Shield
        7.95%
    2. Melee - Dual-Wielding
      43.18%
    3. Melee - Two-Handed Weapon
      13.64%
    4. Ranged Weapons - Bow
      25.00%
    5. Ranged Weaons - Crossbow
        0.00%
    6. Ranged Weaons - Darts or Sling
        2.27%
    7. Other (explain)
        7.95%

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I posted this because I was going to play my half-elf Fight-Mage as a dual-wielding meleer, but today it occurred to me that using him as an archer in the back row might be pretty fun too. If I do the latter I can target enemies with the disabling spells I enjoy, then turn them into a pin cushion.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Or really any kind of melee depending on available weapons and overall party setup, doesn't have to be dual wielding. In general though, in my opinion the main forte of the fighter/mage lies in the defensive mage abilities combined with the steady damage output of a warrior. So to not having them get stuck in would seem a bit wasteful.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    In BG1, ranged (bow) and dual wielding. Reason being more apr.
    In BG2, dual wielding. Big damage with Improved Haste and 10 apr and near impossible to hit when buffed correctly.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Is this just for BG1 or will it spill across into BG2.

In BG1 ranged rocks and is super effective. BG2 not so much, plus by then your melee is powerful enough for you to steamroll things easily 'specially if you are dual-wielding.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Melee with two-handed sword would be my favourite option, not because I know it is any good but because I like going toe-to-toe rather than standing at the back firing missiles.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Voted "Other" because I guess it would depend on my level and the situation.
    Mainly ranged at start. Maybe ranged/melee at mid game. And dual-wield at last when spell protections/THAC0 are decent.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    I used to use sword and shield style back when my character was weaker and needed the extra AC to stay alive. Now I dual wield because he can do more damage that way and because having two weapons that give varying forms of regeneration at the same time increase his survival chances in difficult battles.

My PC almost always dual wields an axe and a bastard sword now, but I occasionally have him use a longbow if the opponents are difficult enough that they would otherwise be able to quickly kill him.
    In terms of the numbers, my guess is that the advantage in BG:EE will go to an archer using a composite longbow. (That's just my hunch, though.)

And by the time one reaches ToB it's going to be dual-wielding, as the highest level opponents break into laughter at arrows, IIRC.

So I suppose the strategy for the long haul would be dual wielding.

Just for a BG:EE game alone, the archer route might be pretty satisfying though.
    For BG:EE alone though, there's not much synergy between the fighter and mage classes if you stay ranged. You won't need to tear down a whole lot of magical defenses, nor will you need to protect yourself overly much, so it seems to me as basically an archer-type warrior with some offensive casting.
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    Just one longsword. No dual wield, no two-handed sword, no shield... and my foes tremble !!!!1!!!one!!!cos(0)
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I think for BG1/BGEE on its own, two pips in two-handed swords, a pip or two in two-handed fighting and pips in longbows would be the way to go, but probably not if planning a character build to take into BG2EE as bows (especially long bows) are pretty useless in BG2 (unless you're an archer, and even then I'd go shortbow or maybe crossbow).

Also the off-hand bonuses of dual wielding in BG2 are too good to miss e.g. Extra attacks or extra spells or immunities/regen etc. and as a multi class it's not like you can dump 5 pips into a single weapon.

The problem with dual-wielding, though, is that it's less than optimal for BG1, if you want to set yourself up for BG2 in BG1, as have limited proficiency points to play with, though I guess there's nothing to stop you using a shield when you feel the need for more protection, even when putting points into dual-wielding
    ARKdeEREH said:

My PC almost always dual wields an axe and a bastard sword now

Why those two weapons? Axe I can kind-off understand, as throwing axes are cool (one of the few missile weapons to add strength damage) and some of the later axes hit pretty hard in ToB, but Bastard Swords? Really? Why?
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Other - single-wielding: every AC bonus counts in the early game (BG1), you get a critical on a roll of 19 or 20 (so it's a double chance of a critical hit) and it makes it easier to swap to a missile weapon: my favourite combo is longsword and longbow (with an elven fighter-mage).

Sword and shield gives a chance of spell failure, because I use the tweak 'allow spellcasting in (heavy) armour', that enables spellcasting in armour with a chance of spell-failure. A medium shield gives 5% chance of failure, a large shield 10%, if I remember well.
    Abel said:

Voted "Other" because I guess it would depend on my level and the situation.
    Mainly ranged at start. Maybe ranged/melee at mid game. And dual-wield at last when spell protections/THAC0 are decent.

I agree with this. Though my favourite is having a sword in one slot and a bow in the other, I use the bow mostly in early BG, only halfway (when I can cast ghost armour) does melee become more favoured. I have yet to take a fighter-mage more than halfway in Shadows of Amn, but I guess at that time I will start picking points in dual-wield, once I have my bases covered.
    I'm actually thinking of doing something like this with my (elf or half-elf) fighter mage in BGEE/BG2EE, not 100% sure though:

BG1
    Lvl 1:
    Long Swords ++
    Axes ++ (mostly for the throwing ones, though I realise you don't get any returning magic ones until late in BG1)

Lvl 3 & 6
    Two Weapon Fighting ++ (to avoid penalty on main hand at least)

BG2
    Lvl 9 & 12
    Two weapon fighting +++
    Scimitars + (putting Belm in off-hand, mostly to get an extra attack with main hand)

Lvl 15 & 18
    Katanas + (mostly for extra spells from Dak'kon's Zerth Blade)
    Scimitars ++

Lvl 21 & 24
    Katanas ++
    Staves? +

I may swap the order in BG2 around a bit, not quite sure what's best here.

Would still have the option of using a shield when I want and even long/composite bows in BG1, as with high Dex, the elf +1 THAC0 bonus and the +1 THAC0 long bow bonus (more with magic bows/arrows, espc. the long bow of marksmanship) will still hit quite often , as fighters only get -1 THAC0 for not having a proficiency in a weapon.

It's just that most bows and arrows are pretty useless in BG2, as magic long/short bows nor arrows don't add any +x damage in BG2 (unlike BG1, and unlike crossbows and slings in BG2, strangely) and later enemies are immune to most arrows, also my main archer will be given the only bows really worth using (e.g. Gesen), so seems like a waste of proficiencies long term., especially as I'll be using melee weapons and/or spells much of the time in BG2. Crossbows might be worth it, though.

Axes are also the only missile weapon (apart from one sling) to add Str damage to hits, and can be used with a shield. I'll be evil, though, so will miss out on Azuredge. Will be taking Dorn rather than Kagain in BG1 (though may have to use Kagain initially) so hopefully won't have another NPC who'll need the best axes

Does this look reasonable, or is this crazy talk? The other build I'm considering is based around two-handed swords, two-handed fighting and staves, which looks better in BG1, but weaker in BG2
    I guess it also partly depends on whether they add any katanas and/or more scimitars in BGEE, though...
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    In BG1 definitely a ranged Fighter/Mage. They have a bad AC and what's more, a rather limited selection of protective spells until you get high up in levels.

However once you get, say, half-way through BGII, there are plenty of items that can bring your AC nice and low and by that time you will have plenty of protective spells. So meleeing becomes a legitimate option at that point.

Besides, it's pretty easy to assume you'll probably have a dedicated frontliner in your party. Let them do their job. Fighter/Mages are better off supporting from the side for a long time.
    Quartz said:

In BG1 definitely a ranged Fighter/Mage. They have a bad AC and what's more, a rather limited selection of protective spells until you get high up in levels.

I'd disagree, even at level one you can cast "Shield", which gives you AC4/AC2 vs. missles, which if you combine with dex/shield/protection ring bonuses should leave you with a very decent AC, and "Blur", a Level 2 spell, effectively gives you another -3 AC!

Of course, you don't have many spells available at lower levels, but you can also don heavy armour when low on spells, or when its not worth casting spells for an encounter. What I've been doing in my current BGT game is to always scout ahead with my thief (Montaron in this case) and then can usually decide ahead of time whether to put on my plate mail (which is a valid option in many cases, if not needing to use spells) or to go the spell buff route.

I tend to use "Shield" much more than "Armour", the latter lasts a long time, yes, but its weak and, if you scout ahead, you don't need to cast "Shield" (or other buffs) until its really needed.
    Quartz said:

Besides, it's pretty easy to assume you'll probably have a dedicated frontliner in your party. Let them do their job. Fighter/Mages are better off supporting from the side for a long time.

Well obviously in BG1 (or even BG2, perhaps) you shouldn't have your fighter/mage as you main tank, that's what Kagain/Dorn/Minsc is for, let them take the bulk of the melee damage, but as an "off tank" damage-dealer, they can still have a strong role to play.

edited November 2012
    *Sigh*

Look, I get it. The entire world thinks I'm retarded for playing Fighter/Mage the way I do. I know you're not trying to be antagonistic, and I'm not mad at you in the slightest, but fuck's sake I was scared to even make a post here for fear this would happen. I shouldn't be scared to say "this is how I play Fighter/Mage, I think it's fun and works well in a party formula." Seriously.

That said,
    1. Yeah, you don't get Blur until how late? Fairly late honestly. That's my problem; it takes a fair time in BG1 to level to Mage 3 while multi-classed, and on top of that it takes time to actually FIND the scrolls of Mirror Image and Blur. Once you have those, you're right as rain. But acting like that is "in the very beginning" is a lie. You won't get there for a while.
    2. Agreed Shield is awesome and underrated.
    3. Also, I'm going to be honest, I might be a bit of a metagamer but I'm breaking those habits and the whole "switching armor" shenanigan is kind of stupid, I'm not going to lie.
    4. I'm beginning to loath the term "off tank." It basically goes like this: 'hey my character is super good at melee.' 'really? is his AC good?' 'no it's terrible' 'then he's not a very good tank' 'yes he is an off-tank my other characters kite the big scary monsters and he sits around on the side smacking things. man my character is SO badass.'
    edited November 2012
    I suppose I should choose Other, because ranged is so powerful in BG1(EE) and dual-wielding rules in BG2(EE)...

With the ranged option, I think of how satisfying it is to use Kivan or Coran. The bow is king in BG1. I forget how many attacks per round one gets with 18(+) Strength and a Composite Longbow but I know enemies drop like flies to a masterful archer in BG1.

As for spellcasting, granted, other mages in the party can target enemy spellcasters/strongest meleers with incapacitating spells. But if the F-M is primarily responsible for casting those spells, that frees up the other mages more to cast disabling area-of-effect spells first, and individually targeted spells second. So I envision the archer F-M targeting individual enemies with spells like Spook, Blind, Hold, Slow, Contagion and then plunking arrows into them. That, to me, is a very strong synergy between spellcasting and martial combat, @Shin. :D Especially if finely tuned with the party's other spellcasters in a teamwork approach.

I would definitely enjoy that. A lot.

On the other hand, the play-style I had already pictured for my F-M of dual-wielding swords and trying to cast select spells in the thick of frontline combat feels like a fun and interesting challenge, and it's sort of beckoning me...
    Quartz said:

*Sigh*

Look, I get it. The entire world thinks I'm retarded for playing Fighter/Mage the way I do. I know you're not trying to be antagonistic, and I'm not mad at you in the slightest, but fuck's sake I was scared to even make a post here for fear this would happen. I shouldn't be scared to say "this is how I play Fighter/Mage, I think it's fun and works well in a party formula." Seriously.

Chill, it wasn't a personal attack on your way of playing, just a counter opinion. I would think the main issue with the way of playing an F/M as ranged stems from how it ultimately seems to come off as a space-saver: it combines the capabilities of a ranged fighter and a mage into one character slot, but it performs no better than a fighter + a mage would in those roles. A melee F/M on the other hand plays the class synergies to become greater than the sum of its parts. But obviously preference is ultimately dictated by what you enjoy and how you envision a character.

Quartz said:

*Sigh*

Hi Quartz, I don't think you're retarded, and I'm glad you're not mad at me, I think if anything it just shows that there's more than one way to play a fighter/mage, and that they're a flexible class combo.

For me the reason I'm interested in the melee approach (be it two-handed swords, dual wield or sword and board) is that it plays to the strength of this class combo with the self-buffs and touch spells etc. and its fun! If I want to play a spell-user that casts from the back I'll play a straight Mage or a dualed fighter or Thief>Mage.

But, in answer to your responses:
    Quartz said:

That said,
    1. Yeah, you don't get Blur until how late? Fairly late honestly. That's my problem; it takes a fair time in BG1 to level to Mage 3 while multi-classed, and on top of that it takes time to actually FIND the scrolls of Mirror Image and Blur. Once you have those, you're right as rain. But acting like that is "in the very beginning" is a lie. You won't get there for a while.

Agreed, though Level 3 comes actually comes around relatively quick (and is certainly possible before the bandit camp, for example), and in the meantime there's plate mail or Shield spell.
    Quartz said:

2. Agreed Shield is awesome and underrated.

Indeed, I forgot to add, it also makes you immune to magic missile!
    Quartz said:

3. Also, I'm going to be honest, I might be a bit of a metagamer but I'm breaking those habits and the whole "switching armor" shenanigan is kind of stupid, I'm not going to lie.

I can see what you're saying, if you know there's an encounter around the corner and you're not even scouting, but I don't think its metagaming at all to always have a scout out in front when traversing unexplored areas to warn you of encounters, so that you can prepare for it appropriately.
    Quartz said:

4. I'm beginning to loath the term "off tank." It basically goes like this: 'hey my character is super good at melee.' 'really? is his AC good?' 'no it's terrible' 'then he's not a very good tank' 'yes he is an off-tank my other characters kite the big scary monsters and he sits around on the side smacking things. man my character is SO badass.'

But its common sense to send your highest HP/AC (not necessarily highest damage-causing) character in first, as this is the one the enemy will target most of the time in melee, Kagain, for example, is practically built for this role (at least once you give him the Dex gloves). I think sending a dual-wield or two-handed sword-wielding F/M in second as a major damage-dealer is still pretty badass :-)
    FWIW, I agree with Quart's sentiments about changing armor in the midst of combat. Even if the game mechanics or ruleset allows it, it is for me immersion-breaking. Even switching from a bow to dual-wielded swords seems like it would provide an opportunity of attack that would all too often get one killed or mortally wounded. Even within a fantasy setting that has magic, etc., I find that too incredible to do.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Changing armor before combat I find all right, in the midst, not so much (but I don't think it's possible in BG2). But even before combat, I find it painful to make the switch since there are so many encounters. If there was something like a quick armor slot, why not. But the way it is now, it's really a pain.
    About changing from 2H to 1Hx2 I think it's feasible though borderline. Anyway, I think it will still not be possible to carry both 2H and 1OH weapons.
    edited November 2012
    Lemernis said:

FWIW, I agree with Quart's sentiments about changing armor in the midst of combat. Even if the game mechanics or ruleset allows it, it is for me immersion-breaking.

Nowhere did I mention changing armour in the midst of combat, the BG2 engine doesn't allow this anyway, so I can't see this being possible in BGEE anyway. Scouting *before* combat is perfectly legitimate and believable - do you think armies in the Middle Ages constantly wore armour? No, they only put it on before battles.

Even switching from a bow to dual-wielded swords seems like it would provide an opportunity of attack that would all too often get one killed or mortally wounded. Even within a fantasy setting that has magic, etc., I find that too incredible to do.
    Well I did say I might use axes for ranged weapons for my F/M build...
    edited November 2012
    An option I often use for fighter mages, is having them act like fighters who have identify memorized for use when resting (and especially at low levels, there's not much you can identify with just your lore value). My fighter mage usually walks around in splint or plate mail until he's a level 3 mage, a time I often identify in the save-game name as "CHARNAME is a *real* fighter-mage now" and only then start playing him as melee-character against weaker opponents and archer against the more dangerous ones (single-style + bow, so I don't need to change the inventory to change his roll in combat).
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    I like dual wielding in general but a Fighter/Mage has such low AC that ranged combat makes sense.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I voted ranged: bow

The trouble with fighter/mage is that until you get some really good armor/equipment that also allows you to cast spells you are likely to be very vulnerable in melee especially against multiple enemies and in BG1 at least that makes it quite late in the game unless you go out of your way to get stuff that technically you should not know where to find. ;-)

Using the best ranged weapons available to you (bow for my money) however allows you to do decent damage from range which also allows you to conserve your spells (less forced resting) and have less issues with vulnerability while doing so.

Choosing elf (over half-elf) of course would add another +1 to your bow prowess too IIRC and while it's certainly possible to switch to melee at some point I can see no real compelling reason to do so - if you are in melee range when you try to use a spell you have a much better chance to be interrupted and for BG1 levels you just don't have enough spells to waste any.
    The problem I have with bows, is that while great in BG1, it seems they're near useless for the later parts of BG2 (unless Beamdog give bows and arrows their +x damage back and provide more +3 and greater arrows and some +3/+4 quivers of plenty in BG2EE) , and if you're planning a build to eventually dual-wield with a selection of different weapons in BG2, are potentially just a waste of precious proficiency points. I'd be happy to be convinced otherwise, though, if a compelling case can be made that bows are not so useless in BG2 (bearing in mind that a fighter/mage is not going to be given Gesen, which will go to the primary archer in the party), perhaps I'm missing something?

it seems they're near useless for the later parts of BG2

True. Which is a long way away from when you start with BG1, that's my logic. Sure as the series goes on you will inevitably make a shift towards melee, but ranged weapons are useful for a long time so it's worth it to me. Seriously, if I used ranged weapons for some 65% of the series, it's definitely worth putting a couple of pips in.