multi Fighter-Mage: melee vs. ranged weapons

2»

Comments

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Are there any 1 handed cross bows?
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Quartz said:

it seems they're near useless for the later parts of BG2

True. Which is a long way away from when you start with BG1, that's my logic. Sure as the series goes on you will inevitably make a shift towards melee, but ranged weapons are useful for a long time so it's worth it to me. Seriously, if I used ranged weapons for some 65% of the series, it's definitely worth putting a couple of pips in.
    That's a fair argument, I think the issue is then whether the "opportunity cost" of putting points into bows in BG1 is worth it - can a fighter/mage build that wants to dual-wield in BG2 spare the "loss" of 2 proficiency points to bows in BG1? That means that's potentially one less melee weapon to gain proficiency in early on - what to give up in the first part of BG2, scimitars? katanas? It doesn't make much sense for an elf fighter mage who wishes to eventually dual-wield to pick anything but long swords for their main melee weapon in BG1 and you need three points into weapon-fighting to dual wield effectively, so if putting points into bows at level 1, its going to not be until level 12 when you can start putting points into another melee weapon (e.g. scimitars)

I'm aware dual-wielding is not optimal for BG1, but am wanting to plan ahead sensibly, and in BG2 dual-wielding seems to be the optimal setup for a fighter mage. Alternatively I might give up this plan entirely and go the two-handed swords and staves route, seems less fraught, LOL!

Are there any 1 handed cross bows?

No
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    K... My tuppence worth to the argument... Playing a F / M / T

I have said Dual wield... but not that I would play that way all the time...

Lvl 1:
    Scimitar ++
    Two weapon fighting ++

The aim here is to be ready for the goodness of Drizzits scimitars... I most likely would not run around duel wielding at these levels as AC will be low and the use of a shield would be invaluable.

I would still pack a longbow as an elf the +1 to THACO would still make it viable to use... Plus if you need to pierce...

Lvl 3 & 6
    Scimitar ++
    Two Weapon Fighting +++ Lets begin to dual like a daddy...
    Stave +

The best hitting weapon in BG1, not that I foresee getting to this level, is the staff of striking. There are also some other kickass staves that are good for a mage to carry... PLUS at present all damage is by slash, bludgeon damage far better for some monsters (undead especially)...

BG2 time...

Lvl 9 & 12
    Scimitar ++
    Two Weapon Fighting +++
    Stave ++
    Katana +

Lvl 15 & 18
    Scimitar ++
    Two Weapon Fighting +++
    Stave ++
    Katana ++ Last point in... (mostly for extra spells from Dak'kon's Zerth Blade, totally agreeing with oxford_guy)
    Two handed fighting + Lets use that mighty rod of yours to hit where it hurts a bit more

As if a F / M / T will get this high a level... but hypothetically...

Lvl 21 & 24
    Scimitar ++
    Two Weapon Fighting +++
    Stave ++
    Katana ++
    Two handed fighting ++
    Spare point to play about with probably some kinda piercing melee damage +

Lvl 27 & 30
    Even with lvl cap removed... Some kinda cheating has occurred... why not just GIVE yourself some extra pro points you fool...

Alternatively if I end up not meleeing as much... I would swap the scimitar points for Longbow on creation... Ensure the arrows hit... But... Meh... Arrows not that important later in the game as they are at the beginning...

Please pull this apart :) I want info on making this better...
    Sorry for the double post... PhillipDaigle has pointed out to me PERSONNALLY that if you take darts for proficiency point you will not regret it... So maybe...

Lvl 1
    Darts ++++

Lvl 3
    Darts +++++

Is the smart way to go...

I think the darts are called "The Darts of thermonuclear armegeddon"

In fact there could also be a "Katana of devastating decapitation" or even worse a "Dagger of making an extra bumhole" Unless the game is played and the best weapons found, planning ahead could be waste of time...
    Anduin said:

Sorry for the double post... PhillipDaigle has pointed out to me PERSONNALLY that if you take darts for proficiency point you will not regret it... So maybe...

Lvl 1
    Darts ++++

Lvl 3
    Darts +++++

Is the smart way to go...

I think the darts are called "The Darts of thermonuclear armegeddon"

In fact there could also be a "Katana of devastating decapitation" or even worse a "Dagger of making an extra bumhole" Unless the game is played and the best weapons found, planning ahead could be waste of time...

There's three problems with this:

1) In BGEE you will only be able to put two points into a single weapon at character creation

2) Mutli-classes can't put more than two points into anything apart from dual-wield anyway, and this thread is about fighter/mage multis

3) You're taking the p*ss! :-)
    Anduin said:

K... My tuppence worth to the argument... Playing a F / M / T

I have said Dual wield... but not that I would play that way all the time...

Lvl 1:
    Scimitar ++
    Two weapon fighting ++

The aim here is to be ready for the goodness of Drizzits scimitars...

...and here is my problem with this build, I think we might have discussed this before, unless you cheese it and somehow get the +2 scimitar on durlag's tower early, or, worse, somehow munchkin kill Drizzt, there are no magic scimitars available until very late in BG1.
    Anduin said:

I most likely would not run around duel wielding at these levels as AC will be low and the use of a shield would be invaluable.

I would still pack a longbow as an elf the +1 to THACO would still make it viable to use... Plus if you need to pierce...

I'd agree on these two bits
    Anduin said:

Lvl 3 & 6
    Scimitar ++
    Two Weapon Fighting +++ Lets begin to dual like a daddy...
    Stave +

The best hitting weapon in BG1, not that I foresee getting to this level, is the staff of striking.

What do you mean? Level 7/7 is certainly feasible in BG1 for a Fighter/Mage, though staff of striking is better for your backstabber IMHO
    Anduin said:

There are also some other kickass staves that are good for a mage to carry... PLUS at present all damage is by slash, bludgeon damage far better for some monsters (undead especially)...

BG2 time...

Lvl 9 & 12
    Scimitar ++
    Two Weapon Fighting +++
    Stave ++
    Katana +

Lvl 15 & 18
    Scimitar ++
    Two Weapon Fighting +++
    Stave ++
    Katana ++ Last point in... (mostly for extra spells from Dak'kon's Zerth Blade, totally agreeing with oxford_guy)
    Two handed fighting + Lets use that mighty rod of yours to hit where it hurts a bit more

As if a F / M / T will get this high a level... but hypothetically...

Lvl 21 & 24
    Scimitar ++
    Two Weapon Fighting +++
    Stave ++
    Katana ++
    Two handed fighting ++
    Spare point to play about with probably some kinda piercing melee damage +

Lvl 27 & 30
    Even with lvl cap removed... Some kinda cheating has occurred... why not just GIVE yourself some extra pro points you fool...

Alternatively if I end up not meleeing as much... I would swap the scimitar points for Longbow on creation... Ensure the arrows hit... But... Meh... Arrows not that important later in the game as they are at the beginning...

Please pull this apart :) I want info on making this better...

My thinking is similar, but unless you cheese/munchkin it, longswords are a better pick for most of BG1 than scimitars IMHO...
    @oxford_guy :-D Nice info and worthy, insightful comments!

PhillipDiagle honestly mentioned about the darts... I will probably play a straight fighter darts grandmaster named Eric Bristow... For a bit of bully magic... If you were alive in the 80's or watch UK Gold this will have no meaning to you...

Absolutely correct... I was taking the piddle

In the original... I was able to kill Drizzt easily. Just shot him from across the lake... A animate dead and a few skeletons can also do it... His items are easy to obtain... I would usually bag him before heading to Nashkel.

Just like new weapons entering play however,and changing a perfectly good plan... Drizzt maybe harder to lynch in BG:EE...
    Anduin said:

@oxford_guy :-D Nice info and worthy, insightful comments!

PhillipDiagle honestly mentioned about the darts... I will probably play a straight fighter darts grandmaster named Eric Bristow... For a bit of bully magic... If you were alive in the 80's or watch UK Gold this will have no meaning to you...

Haha! Yes mate! :-)

He ought to have a high constitution to be able to drink all that beer...

Poor Eric... Cursed with Dartitus, a real medical condition where the thrower cannot let go of the dart...

Idea for a cursed item... Gloves of Dartitus!