Skip to content

Will You Include NPCs in Your Party?

AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
I'm gathering data to work on this thread of mine.
It would really help knowing how you fans intend to play your next game.
So, please do vote :) !

Edit:
Damn! Forgot a poll option and of course it's not editable!
So, though it should be a minority, if you intend to include modified/edited NPCs, please vote option 3. And if it's no bother, tell so in comments.
  1. Will You Include NPCs in Your Party?124 votes
    1. Yes, I/we will only add [1;5] NPCs (solo/multiplayer)
      81.45%
    2. No, I/we will build all [1;6] characters (multiplayer)
        5.65%
    3. Yes, I/we will but I/we will mix [1;4] NPCs and [1;5] custom characters (multiplayer)
        8.06%
    4. No, I will only use one character (solo)
        4.84%
Post edited by Abel on

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I'm confused by the choices...

For my first game I'm going to use all 5 NPC slots with in game NPCs. With subsequent playthroughs I'll likely switch it up a bit.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    @decado [1;5] means 1 to 5, so you should pick option 1. Be aware I'm just asking about your next playthrough :) !
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I never create multiplayer NPCs, but commonly make some minor modifications to standard ones, e.g. making Minsc a berserker, Montaron an assassin, giving Imoen the adventurer kit (no backstab multiplier but bonus to pick lock/disarm traps), etc. I also tend to use the level 1 NPCs mod to assign from-scratch proficiencies and thief skills to all NPCs I feel have premade selections that don't mesh with their personalities or deviate from BG1, e.g. Khalid's bastard sword dual wielding.
    @Shin thanks for the input, good to know.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012
    For the first run through BG:EE I'll use all three new NPCs:

Lemernis - CG or TN half-elf Fight-Mage
    Imoen (dualed to mage)
    Viconia
    Rasaad
    Dorn
    Neera
    Post edited by Lemernis on
    @Lemernis So far, you're among the majority! I suspect it will stay option 1.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I'll start with my paladin (who will possibly be a cavalier if kits are available in BG:EE) and Imoen will be in the party throughout. Then pretty much every NPC will join at some stage.
    @Permidion_Stark All right. Kits will definitely be available in BG:EE.
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    My evil party is just waiting for Dorn.
    @kansasbarbarian Hehe, just what you needed it seems! Thanks for your vote.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    To start with I'll definitely want to be picking up the new NPCs and seeing what they're like. Subsequent playthroughs may vary.
    @Tetraploid To what extent vary? Switching options or NPCs?
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    @Abel Well, after I've tried out the new NPCs and their associated content I might play with a self-made party, having all the kits to play around with means I can try all sorts of party combinations I haven't used before.
    @Tetraploid All right. Good to know also.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I have already said something similar on the other topic, but I will repeat this again: custom characters are boring.
    @ZelgadisGW Many must share your thought, seeing the results so far. I really wanted to include the (original) modified NPCs poll option but I think most people won't go this far anyway. And RP wise, it's borderline.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2012
    'Course. Not sure if I'll have anyone to multiplayer with right off the bat, and I don't like creating custom parties in single player games because it takes a lot of the fun out of roleplaying--CHARNAME should leave Candlekeep alone, joined by Imoen shortly after, and find their allies along the way.
    Also, NPC interaction is a must, and you don't get that with custom parties~
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    The poll will likely be skewed as you've asked people to state what they will be doing for thier first playthrough. The majority of people here know the game inside and out, it's the new content and improvements we are interested in. This new stuff is mainly accessed through the new characters. Plus people want to relax a little bit whilst playing the new stuff, this again is best done with a party.

As people what they will do on their 3rd of 4th playthrough - the results won't be quit so one sided.
  • nemesisnemesis Member Posts: 49
    Me as a Paladin, Ill create a bard to bring with me to record my adventures. The rest of the npc's Will join me at some point
    @LadyEibhilinRhett @nemesis All righty, thanks for voting!
    @decado You're right. But I don't see how I could have included this parameter in the poll. Maybe I should have asked something like: « ... and this will change on one of your next potential playthroughs ». But then, it has too many variables: number of playthroughs, play style for each. And then, the game being BG: EE and not BG, this may actually change soon. I see no way to get accurate results with a reasonable amount of options. Still, I think the first playthrough is the most important.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    Hell! There were so many NPC's I couldn't find at first! I need to find them all, I love the NPC dialogs and quests (in BG2).
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2012
    I can't answer the poll, because I have no idea what any of those choices mean.

I will play a single-player game with six party members.

EDIT: @Abel, okay, I went back and voted. Thanks for clarifying.
    @Necdilzor Yeah, gotta catch em' all!
    @belgarathmth It's option 1: your character and 5 NPC.
  • FentonFenton Member Posts: 38
    I am doing an good and evil playthough. Evil will be Dorn and my Blackguard than go recruit my band of misunderstood heroes while my good I am adding Neera, Raseed and Iomen than figure the rest out. So It's an 5 NPC and myself playthough.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Whether those partymates participate in combat or just sit there as never-levelling passive experience sinks and just exist to supply me with conversation (Nightmare mode "solo" or "duo"), I always run with a full party, and never make more than a single extra multiplayer PC. The game is about interaction and story, without my party mates constantly whining at me, it wouldn't be the same.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Lemernis said:

For the first run through BG:EE I'll use all three new NPCs:

Lemernis - CG or TN half-elf Fight-Mage
    Imoen (dualed to mage)
    Viconia
    Rasaad
    Dorn
    Neera

Me too! (well, LE or NE elf fighter/mage), though I might have to drop Rasaad for Monty and/or Neera for Edwin if my reputation gets too despicable for them to cope with...

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Will play with NPCs first, solo later. It's not like I'm not going to play it a million times anyway.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    Well, I will play the game with 2 friends first. Each of us will have one character created (ourselves) and we will have 3 NPCs in the party.
    But after that, or paralell with it, I will play my own playthrough too, and ther I will only have NPCs in my party. Classic good playthrough with canon team, evil playthrough and experimenting playthroughs with other NPCs. Planning at least 4 playthrough I think :) And apart from the one I will play with my friends, all will be with NPCs. I never liked to build my own party...
  • I'm honestly kinda blown away by all of this, I literally started playing BG2 again last night and just found out about the upcoming "Enhanced Editions."
    Wow! I REALLY want to play multiplayer but I don't know anyone who plays the game outside of (obviously) specific groups online.
    I think I'm definitely doing NPCs for this playthrough. It's been over a decade since I've actually FINISHED a full BG1-2-TOB playthrough, though nearly every year I give it a shot (Skyrim has been my achilles heel there, between that and BG2 it's ALMOST too much rpg, y'know?)
    So I'm going with #1 but I'm very open to doing a full (first-time, as you said) playthrough with ayone that would be willing to put up with my over-explanatory ass :P
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    First playthrough I think I'll pick up Neera and Rasaad and I guess Imoen, Jaheira and Minsc can come along too.