Skip to content

BGII: Fikraag and Paladin Stronghold

So, I decided to actually try and kill Fikraag the first time around(as I recall from back in the day you get some bonus XP for doing so), and I finally did it! Though I gotta say...a hasted dragon is totally unfair.

Much to my disappointment...the final paladin quest just doesn't happen anymore. I know it is just some XP(I would rather pick and get the Fighter Stronghold, WAY better I would say, I swear back in the day they let you have it. I don't get how Nalia thinks a Paladin isn't "a fightery type").

Why isn't this fixed? :open_mouth:

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Are you sure? If I kill Firkraag before the paladin stronghold, the last quest still triggers, but it is auto resolved in dialogue. SOmething along the lines of "oh yeah, already killed him, heres the sword".
  • Igneous_AvesIgneous_Aves Member Posts: 41
    ThacoBell said:

Are you sure? If I kill Firkraag before the paladin stronghold, the last quest still triggers, but it is auto resolved in dialogue. SOmething along the lines of "oh yeah, already killed him, heres the sword".

That is what I was expecting...but nope, nothing. After that third one, it just stopped. No mention, something like we are done for now and we will be here if you need something(or we need you). Something along those lines.
    If you upload your save, someone can take a look and see what's wrong. Thats not a universal bug.
    ThacoBell said:

If you upload your save, someone can take a look and see what's wrong. Thats not a universal bug.

Done, I even checked my log. There is no mention of it. Just the last entry is "Moral Victory" and then the guy just says the same thing over and over...
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    edited December 2017
    After the Morninglords quest the player gets plate armour, a shield and regained paladinhood if fallen.

If Firkraag is already dead, there is no way to get the extra 35,000xp. This is original game behaviour and has not been changed by the enhanced edition. Sample link to walkthrough shown as last updated in 2009.

Note: If you ARE a Paladin, don't kill Firkraag until your stronghold asks you to. If you kill him before reaching the Stronghold they won't give you experience for killing him.

edit. No legitimate way. Console command will give you the final dialogue, xp and journal entry (though not the preceding dialogue)
    C:SetGlobal("PaladinPlot","GLOBAL",60)

Really? I'm remembering something completely different. I'll have to go out of my way to check it next playthrough.
    Gate70 said:

If Firkraag is already dead, there is no way to get the extra 35,000xp. This is original game behaviour and has not been changed by the enhanced edition. Sample link to walkthrough shown as last updated in 2009.

Why was this never fixed by Beamdog? That seems lazy by Black Isle back in the day and then even more so by Beamdog? I suppose I am utterly dense in coding, but it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult or time consuming to add in a check to see if he is dead and then add a little changed dialogue and then continue with the original after that...
    Gate70 said:

After the Morninglords quest the player gets plate armour, a shield and regained paladinhood if fallen.

I wish if you weren't Fallen you'd get extra uses just cause...why not lol
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    To change the code and extend the contents to enhance it, is something modders have done for other strongholds. The thieves and the mages have an extension mod each, there's a mod for Nalia's keep. I heard (I haven't seen or tested it yet) there is a mod or a planned mod for the druid's stronghold as well.

Nobody felt like touching the paladin's stronghold ever since the game was released.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

Gate70 said:

Why was this never fixed by Beamdog? That seems lazy by Black Isle back in the day and then even more so by Beamdog?
    They might have just missed it. That happens on big projects, and this was done before Test Driven Development had really taken off. Or maybe they used TDD but never thought about that test case. Regardless, some things slip through. It happens and isn’t a critical failure.

As for Beamdog, IIRC they are not allowed to change the content that existed in the original games. A couple things were changed — legit errors and things like Quayle’s illegal dexterity in the first game — but they were supposed to ship the original content as-is. So maybe they wanted to change it but couldn’t.