Skip to content

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Pre-Load begins Thursday, November 22nd.

Comments

• aldainaldain Member Posts: 307
    Tamoko said:

Tamoko said:

how is this possible? do you get a keycode or something? if so you can easyly crack that shit.

But is it worth it, just to get in <1 week early?</p>

you already paid for the game at this point so you can do no wrong, i mean if the game doesnt run on a server what does stop me from playing it earlier
    There's really no problem at all with releasing the files for download early, since the files do not need to be accessible by the user yet. They can just encrypt some essential stuff (or, for that matter, most of it) and you'll be banging your head against the wall trying to bruteforce the key. Of course it's theoretically possible you'll succeed, but it's infinitely more likely that the universe will come to an end before you do. I'm not even joking, see Theoretical limits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brute-force_attack

Then on launch day, the key for decrypting gets distributed, the files are unlocked in a few seconds, and everything just works.

With that out of the way... happy happy joy joy! Glad to see everything is finally starting to come together.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Enough said.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

Tamoko said:

how is this possible? do you get a keycode or something? if so you can easyly crack that shit.

What if they remove Candlekeep's entire files for until the game is actually available? XD
    Or they could just leave the main executable to be downloaded only on release date... No cracking is possible this way and it should be a very small file.
  • claudiotkd4claudiotkd4 Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2012
    At least. Not even an epic summon will remove me from the pc.
  • BaggerBagger Member Posts: 144
    edited November 2012
    What about opening a pre-start =)? On this Friday, 23rd November.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    predownload is a great news!!! :D but i wont be able to play the game until 30th or 1st, since i have to go home for family matters :'( damn! do you know how hard it will be to remain civil to relatives while knowing there is perfedtly fine, working copy of bg:ee on my pc 100 miles away?

i guess i will be on the forums with you on the 28th (on my smartphone) reading other people praising it.

at least some measure of satisfaction :/
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Tamoko said:

Tamoko said:

But is it worth it, just to get in <1 week early?</p>

you already paid for the game at this point so you can do no wrong, i mean if the game doesnt run on a server what does stop me from playing it earlier
    Back on the alignment side... Chaotic Neutral... Forget the licensing and rules. I want it, so I'll get it.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    Good news... and the whole fiasco with the delay feels like it just happened last week... the month and a half wasn't such a big deal after all. :D
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    It is a big deal, I'm in a middle of moving.
  • betobeto Member Posts: 20
    Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait!
  • comatorycomatory Member Posts: 30
    I wonder if this pre-load thing is here because of Mac App Store version. From what I know, Apple does not have a specific time for approval into the store, so the publisher is playing it safe.
    Anyway, cool for the PC gamers, once it's unlocked, you can play it right away! Meanwhile, us Mac users will have to wait it out. I think the original game was around 3 gigs right? So let's say it's 4-5, maybe even more - that is at least 2 hours of download time on my connection, and probably longer since the servers will be a bit overloaded on the launch day.
  • JaanivJaaniv Member Posts: 17
    Really good, news of the day! Can't wait either.
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    comatory said:

I think the original game was around 3 gigs right?

Using the full install option, the original was slightly over 4GB.

I don't know how compressed they'll make the installer, but Trent's hopeful estimates from posting on the Beamdog forum a few months back were 1.3GB.
    http://www.beamdog.com/forum/forums/general-discussion/topics/getting-download-info-dot-dot-dot

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Trent twittered on 12 Sept that compression didn't work out as expected and the overall file size would be around the 3GB mark.
  • claudiotkd4claudiotkd4 Member Posts: 7

One week..... only one week
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    mlnevese said:

Tamoko said:

What if they remove Candlekeep's entire files for until the game is actually available? XD
    Or they could just leave the main executable to be downloaded only on release date... No cracking is possible this way and it should be a very small file.

It's true, I'm sure the preload will contain all (or most) of the audio and video files and anything else that would contain the bulk of the installation, but I doubt they will even release some of the major parts that makes the whole thing work until the actual release date.
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    Wouldn't it be funny, (and by funny I mean freaking awesome,) if they forgot to lock or otherwise disable use, and we could play right away?
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    OMFG ITS TOMOROW!!
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Only have one thing to say. Yay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CahM29t9mtc
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Mornmagor said:

Come on guys, they told you there would not be another delay!

A TOLD U!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhMgmkYHlM8

I just rifled through some of the others in the playlist. Family Guy is just so wrong.
  • eltonbarreleltonbarrel Member Posts: 262
    are all ready to rule realms once again!!! today is as the last day of old year! tomorrow 's a new era!!!
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    Kristie83 said:

Wouldn't it be funny, (and by funny I mean freaking awesome,) if they forgot to lock or otherwise disable use, and we could play right away?

Gee, thanks for getting my hopes up. I would love this, but I have a feeling that turkey is going to be the most enjoyable part about tomorrow, not an amazing error.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    Kristie83 said:

Good going, Dingus, you just jinxed it!
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    toanwrath said:

Kristie83 said:

Gee, thanks for getting my hopes up. I would love this, but I have a feeling that turkey is going to be the most enjoyable part about tomorrow, not an amazing error.
    I already had my turkey in October, now I have to wait for Christmas. :)
    Heinrich said:

Kristie83 said:

Good going, Dingus, you just jinxed it!
    Thanks a lot! :P

• sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    Kristie83 said:

I actually had a dream like that once, but the game was all buggy and wasn't working well, since obviously it wasn't the real release date yet... really more of a nightmare....

• SimmOSimmO Member Posts: 10
    anyone got the email yet?
  • GeldridgeGeldridge Member Posts: 21
    ...and just like that my day was made!!
    Anyone else in London want to join me for a drink after download to celebrate and wait for the game to unlock?