Skip to content

Toolset bug: Sound placeables repeat an error/warning message as soon as they are adjusted

Here's the link to the discussion in the NWN1 headstart toolset forum:
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/67515/problem-with-sound-placeables-in-the-toolset#latest

This problem has been repeated by users, and it has been tested using new module, new area, and no haks, but it also repeats itself if you place sounds in a 1.69 module, or a 1,74 module, in areas that you erf in. The error persists with simple Realtek sound and with Creative Labs sound cards (and I have yet another card on of my PCs).
Miles 2D sound has been selected, but I have tried it with other 3D stereo settings now as well, the error is still there. It's there on Win7 and Win10 machines as well.

All sounds from the palette, you can place, and they seem to work as intended.
But as soon as you enter properties and adjust whatever, volume or how often it's played, you get the error/warning message:
"Wave list.
You are attempting to use the following stereo WAV files in a 3D positional sound object.
Stereo WAV files can only be used as 2D sounds (set as "Play everywhere in the area", under the Positioning tab), which are non-positional and are heard the same throughout an area.
Attempting to use stereo WAV files in a 3D positional sound object may cause errors when the game or toolset tries to play them.
Are you sure you wish to continue using these WAV files?
Select the WAV files you wish to keep.
Click OK to proceed. Click Cancel to avoid making any changes."

The error:
You can only set it to play everywhere without having an issue. If it is a random position or a specific location it will give you the error message above and if you don't hit "select all" it will also remove all the sounds from that sound object. The list is empty and you have to reselect the WAVs again in properties.

Expected behaviour:
No warnings or errors when adjusting sound placeables in properties. Random position and specific location should be valid choices when placing sound objects.
BelleSorciereNeverwinterWights

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Have you filed this bug on support.baldursgate.com, @IndiraLightfoot ?
  • IndiraLightfootIndiraLightfoot Member Posts: 29
    No, but I am pretty swamped at work atm. Perhaps I'll get to it, unless somebody else from that thread or elsewhere steps in. :)
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited December 2017
    Well I was wrong. In 1.69 the Random Range is greyed out as well but you can still change how a default sound is played. From 'Plays everywhere in area', to 'Plays from a random position each time it is played' and 'Plays from a specific position'.

So it is not Random Range as I originally thought.

Placing down a default sound object Nature - Lava Bursts, but flipping it to 'Plays everywhere in area' works.

Trying to edit the placed sound to something else, results in the error mentioned.

Nice find @IndiraLightfoot
    Post edited by Sylvus_Moonbow on
    IndiraLightfoot
    edited December 2017
    I haven't got access to the toolset, but I'm pretty sure that the bug sets in motion for sound placeables preset as playing in random locations and specific locations as well. When you pick one from the palette, place it, and then adjust it under properties, you'll get a similar error, essentially forcing you set your sound placeable as one that plays everywhere in the area.

Well I was wrong. In 1.69 the Random Range is greyed out as well but you can still change how a default sound is played. From 'Plays everywhere in area', to 'Plays from a random position each time it is played' and 'Plays from a specific position'.

So it is not Random Range as I originally thought.

Placing down a default sound object Nature - Lava Bursts, but flipping it to 'Plays everywhere in area' works.

Trying to edit the placed sound to something else, results in the error mentioned.

Nice find @IndiraLightfoot

Thank you, although I'd be happier if this bug didn't pester us when we furnish our modules with the ever so important soundscape. :)

Finally, I did the deed. The bug is reported on support.baldursgate.com. :)
    Sylvus_MoonbowNeverwinterWightsJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Thank you for using that site!