edited December 2017
    @Artona

Please do - "answer in the same way."

It plausibly will make u popular.

But not with me - I am thinking of "xxRedDarkness."
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Artona said:

What do you think? :)

I think the first guy in the article nails it, and the second guy confirms it. The doors are open for those who care about them.

This, however:
    If you are targeting a worldwide release, if you don't have people from all walks of life contributing to it then something is going to be missed.
    is absolutely, completely wrong.
    I grew up on Hollywood movies, because I liked them for what they were - I certainly don't want the Hollywood producers to suddenly discard the "Russian bandit" stereotype out of fear I might get offended, oh poor dear me. If they take it too seriously, it would no longer be what I liked about their products and culture in the first place.
    Likewise, I'm as sick as anybody of the endless stream of "ordinary Japanese schoolboy fighting to protect what's important" main characters in Japanese games/anime and all the bugs infesting their brains, but that's how I became acquaint with their culture.

I.e. it's sure nice to see a Russian character who's not a bandit or a former KGB agent, or an adult anime character who acts like adult. But it's not a requirement to enjoy those works.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I think the article is right on in saying that it's hard to change the opinion in many people's minds that gaming is just for teenaged to twenty-something white boys who still live in their parents' basements. It is changing slowly though. I for one don't mind. It doesn't matter to me a whole lot what race/gender the protagonist is as long as the story is good.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Ardanis said:

I.e. it's sure nice to see a Russian character who's not a bandit or a former KGB agent, or an adult anime character who acts like adult. But it's not a requirement to enjoy those works.

And to think all this time I've just assumed you were FSB, coding between raids.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    dunbar said:

@TStael what I liked about the article was that it gave someone who knows next to nothing about the video game industry (me) different perspectives on the topic under discussion from people who work in that industry.

First of all - happy Christmas eve to all here in the fora whom either celebrate it, or enjoy it. For the record, here in Finland, snow shovelling and white xmas has been heavily in order! (latitudes above Helsinki at least)

@dunbar - thank you. My reaction to our fellow fora member posting an article to gauge opinion of others while being coy about their own was quite stark, so let me explain why the response is such to the stimulus (Gary Larson ref here).

But thank you for reacting. I admit I did not cordially invite it, :smile:

The gaming is us - the gamers. Our willingness to buy, to kickstart, to mod, to post at fora, to show patience with delays or bugs - our fandom make this industry be.

From this perspective, I just hate it when people stir the pot, fish for opinions about gaming narrative complexity, sitting on the fence.

My most immediate joy of immersion is the second most readily available :I've made no secret I am a hetero-white-female gamer.

This is the second most catered target audience in gaming. I love my immersion, which would suffBeer if never I were able to choose a female hero. Frankly, it would suck! Yet maleHawke tells me that when the leading CHAR is excellent, I can happily take a leap of faith away from my most preferred immersion.

What I can tell you, as you hopefully get to love gaming even deeper: just check out the default suggested heroes. It'll mostly be a white male; female at par at best. I'll credit Bethesda's Morrowind for electing to be different, and surprisingly honest - but the two sequels where disappointingly just human tales.

I appreciate this attitude of mine can be quite vexing, intolerant, even - but:

I truly think that not to rattle the cage until most of us gamers can at least sometimes get something that delights us the best in terms of immersion is a bit poor. To post such an article and not to stand by it would be something similar by proxy - to me.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Balrog99 said:

I think the article is right on in saying that it's hard to change the opinion in many people's minds that gaming is just for teenaged to twenty-something white boys who still live in their parents' basements. It is changing slowly though. I for one don't mind. It doesn't matter to me a whole lot what race/gender the protagonist is as long as the story is good.

I for one quite freely think that the "stereotypical gamer" (=youngish hetero-normative white male) is not the same as the actual gaming crowd.

I meanwhile suspect that it will be the safest commercial bidding for less established gaming houses to satisfy this demography, because the back-lash is really : "flaming toys out of the pram." :wink: (for lack of crying winkie)

We experienced this with SoD, surely?

I've generally experienced very hard push back on bringing up female or homophobic themes, and some push back on not seeing consoles as inferior, or threat to PC gaming - and also, I shall have you know: not wanting to brand mobile or casual gamers as "non-(hard-core)-gamers."

I just do not think gaming will be optimised - revenue or narrative - writing for that "presumed white hetero male, young or socially otherwise intolerant."

At least - PC RPG never flourished from that tradition!