Skip to content

Will you make it possible for players to monetize work on modules, PW's, custom content and whatnot?

This time perhaps you can struggle more to get this option?

I mean, somehow...it should be possible, right?

It would be huge for the game I think. I mean, just imagine, if the players did all that last time...imagine what some of them (naturally not all) could do if there was monetary gain possible as well :-o

Comments

• CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    I wouldn't count on it. Mainly due to licensing concerns. Beamdog themselves can't do new content without running it through the approval process with Hasbro/Wizards.
  • rammurrammur Member Posts: 11
    there was a few that did get monetized and even official i think anyways and there were a few that got donations but no game wouldnt have been big if it was all monetized back then kinda what kept people playing i know there was a few pws that had perks for donating as well.
  • Drewbert_ahoyDrewbert_ahoy Member Posts: 96
    "This time perhaps you can struggle more to get this option?"

Struggle more? They had the premium mod program back in the day, which is basically what you are talking about. I can't even think of another game that had such a thing.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Take it from Bethesda's repeated failure to monetize mods: You can't do it without making everyone angry. It will backfire every single time.

Just thinking about it makes me mad.
  • ildaronildaron Member Posts: 52
    For those who mention lawyers, premium modules made by the community were sold when NWN originally came out.

For those who mention this upsetting everyone, it didn't people paid for what they wanted and didn't pay for things they did not want.

Most posts I see on this topic deal with entitlement. People want the work others have for free (the same as asking for the free backwards comparability with the 1.69 severs). Often times these arguments are framed as something benevolent as if they are looking out for someone else. Such as "the developer may become upset once the work they released with an open license is sold". When there are simple solutions the first being any developer can have a license saying 'for non commercial use only'.

At the end of the day regardless if premium (paid) modules return or not. There will always be assets which the community will not have access to. There are a lot of amazing systems on persistent worlds which is not handed out to the general audience.

Myself I would rather pay some of these freelance developers to create some amazing things so they will have time to do so. This community has existed for so long off the work of those who have done fantastic things. Imagine if they could dedicate more time to doing such simply because they made enough to live off doing so. We would all be win in that case. As for those who might produce horse armor and sell it. Don't buy it. If you do not buy garbage, people will stop trying to sell it.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    The main difference seems that premium modules had some kind of license. You cannot for example take a class from a book that is not OGL and then sell an electronic version of it as your own. If it's released under OGL then you're able to sell it as long as you're compliant with the OGL license which requires a copy of the OGL. You also have to mark the content that is open, and providing a means of copying and modification and selling by anyone else through the same license.

I think there was already a lot of waiving when it came to NWN mods which might be impacted if you monetize mods and haks. Technically without a license somehow originating in some way from WotC you cannot reproduce any non OGL content and especially not their product identities like mindflayers and beholders.

I'm not sure how it would work with patreon however since you tend to pay for work not content.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    My own work is published under a Creative Commons license which precludes commercial use. That's very unusual, though. The default for new work on Neverwinter Vault is the far less formal "Open - Free & open only if project also open" tag. Most authors use that, though there are exceptional restrictions, which we respect.

So, we are a relatively open community, and many of us are here precisely because it has that spirit.

I'm fine with Premium Modules, just concerned to avoid a disorganized commercial feeding frenzy.
    A little business called Amazon allows people to publish books. They have a small checkbox which states you have all the rights to the manuscript.

Both well known and first time authors use Amazon for exclusive books. That the CEO of Beamdog worked on the original project (was lead) I am pretty sure he understands what WoTC and the law allows. It leads me to reassert the belief that the I don't want premium modules do to X is simply a straw man argument.

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    It has nothing to do with entitlement, and everything to do with copyrights.

As @WarChiefZeke said, if you want to support a modder using PayPal or some other service is the way to go.
  • IndyWendieGoIndyWendieGo Member Posts: 62
    Atremious said:

TL;DR: Non-monetized, open communities for players are better than paywalls.

This. I also won't play any module that asks for money when it's not official, nor will I play on any server locking content behind a paywall (even if it's for donations). Just not my cup of tea.

Now just having a no pressure donate button? I'm all for that.
  • AllatumAllatum Member Posts: 16
    If you want to make money off of a hobby, find a different hobby. If you want to make money specifically off of coding, or 3d modelling there are other places you can certainly accomplish that.

Otherwise people have already stated what was needed. So many current servers and modules use work that's been compiled from numerous sources and you'd be pulling some god-awful Sims 1 mod packs where other people's work was taken and sold without compensation.
  • superfly2000superfly2000 Member Posts: 76
    edited December 2017

..... They had the premium mod program back in the day, which is basically what you are talking about. I can't even think of another game that had such a thing.

Something like that. That is a good start. However...what I meant was that MORE and different stuff can/would/should be made using a similar but perhaps slightly less complicated method.
    Post edited by superfly2000 on
    Allatum said:

If you want to make money off of a hobby, find a different hobby.

This is not primarily about me making money. I firstmost thought about smaller companies, again, kind of similar to the premium modules thingie.

I mean, comon, lets all imagine a PW created by a company and how great that could be....but yeah, perhaps they should actually make a new game instead if they are really going to put in that effort...but again....that is kind of the sad story that in 15 years there was nothing similar made...
    deltago said:

It has nothing to do with entitlement, and everything to do with copyrights.

As @WarChiefZeke said, if you want to support a modder using PayPal or some other service is the way to go.

Yes it has everything to do with entitlement. Your words infer that you are entitled to play whatever anyone makes, regardless of the desire of the creator. That one of the largest companies that sells products online has a check box ensuring that the person selling has the legal right to do so knocks down the false argument about copyrights. Which returns it to, wanting content for free and then if you want to pay you can pay.

I on the other hand prefer choice. If any content creator wants to sell their work (aand is legally able to do so) that person should be able to do it. If the creator wishes to give away their work for free that should be their right as well.

Because some people want to use everyone's creations for free is no reason for it to be free.
    If some people choose not to purchase others works, that would be their right.
    It is rather arrogant to say, if you want to make money go play a different game. The owners of NWN1 has never said that (hence premium content existing in the past) so what right does someone who paid nothing (actually paying WotC for the right to make a D&D game) to tell both the party who licensed the right to make this game as well as WotC (who likely approves what may or may not be done) who gets to be part of this community or not? I
    Don't de-rail the topic please. Make your own if you gonna discuss copyright. This thread isn't really about copyright.
  • AtremiousAtremious Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2017
    The very fact that so many things have been done is why its a challenging prospect to sell content. Lets say you do sell content. What if that content is built off of or references resources that were created by others? Do you have the right to monetize your work if you have In any way used or referenced the work of another? Do you then have to build literally everything from scratch?

If you are using materials that exist within the vanilla NWN experience and repackage some of those to sell on your own, do you not violate the intellectual properties of the license holder for NWN? If you use any official WotC refernce material, and make money off of these, does this constitute then making money off their IP? These are the questioms that make this the sort of thing I would rather stay away from.
  • britishjbritishj Member Posts: 44
    It would be nice to see module creators able to charge for their work, I'd gladly pay to enjoy content created by others.
  • MecheonMecheon Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2017
    Also, aside from the legal quagmire, the backlash one is going to be a disaster

If you want to see how that goes, go and look at the Minecraft modding community and how long it took their developers to actually allow the end user the privilege of putting multiple mods together and having them work together. Do you know why they accepted mod packs in the end? Because the positive feedback from having things working together outweighed their lack of getting 1 cent per click from Adfly. And that's ignoring, you know, the guy who released his mod for free, but made you have to pay for the instruction manual so you actually knew how to use the thing

I mean, if you wanted payable custom content, you'd destroy the CEP right there and then. That's just how it'd go.
  • PlasmaJohnPlasmaJohn Member Posts: 31
    Careful about waving the OGL banner. From what I remember it explicitly excluded computer representation. I even want to say that influenced how Paizo had Pathfinder Online implemented.

Regardless Hasbro/WotC hold the rights to much of the NWN assets and are apparently extremely prickly to work with.

Not to poo on BD's work but there are far better platforms to work with when designing commercial games.
    There is no legal quagmire. Those who say so once more pretend this has not happened before. It is false argument to pretend that they are trying to defend the creators, Beamdog, and WotC. It is a false statement on every level. Not only because this has been done in the past with this very title, it is done in a much larger marketplace. One called Amazon. Copyright laws still exists when Amazon sells its products in every category they sell. Books, musics, electronics, and everything else. (They have two seller departments one for books and one for everything else).

So while others may continue the strawman defenses on copyright, or mention other D&D games. If Beamdog does allowed premium modules to be included in this game again as was done when the game launched.

For those seeking to make their own premium modules I am quite sure they will do one of two things. Find what they legally may use or just as people have posted in a dozen other threads. Create new scripts which do things differently. While I do love some of the modules used in current games, I am quite excited about the graphic improvements. Several of my friends have discussed doing mods. Among us we have two published authors, two who have gone to University for programing, and one who has gone to the University for creating 3D art. I am quite certain none of us (or other groups of mod authors) will sue the others if we make something new for Neverwinter Nights.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    @PlasmaJohn You can make software that uses the OGL content but you must follow very specific instructions stipulated in the license. This include providing a copy of the license, identifying clearly the parts that are under OGL and I think allowing plain text access to the open content.

Premium modules are a completely different thing entirely and in real world publishing it's more like when WotC loaned out several settings licenses to other companies to make content. This is why White Wolf published the Ravenloft supplements for D&D 3.5 and why they had to stop when WotC wanted to make a Ravenloft boardgame.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    It is not a false statement.

1. You can not compare Amazon to gaming modules. I cannot go on Amazon and publish a book entitle "The Adventures of Drittz" without having WotC and Salvador knocking down my door. A gaming module, with no vetting process can have a character, or an entire module revolve around a Drow Ranger. As I said prior, thr site hosting said paid module, the content creator and the company who gave you licence to make the module can all be held accountable if it is determined a copyright infringement took place. A person who makes a module has little IP invested, especially when using the 3rd Edition D&D rules, this doesnt own the copyright to the work they are attempting to monetize. A person who sells a book on Amazon owns the copyright to do so.

2. Premium modules are a different animal than pay to play modules. This is how it would (probably work). A company or person will approach Beamdog about an idea about a module, Beamdog will then go to WotC, the company who holds the IP of the game, if this module would be suitable for their licence. If it is, Beamdog would fund (read pay for) the module that is created and collect all the sales money from the premium module and owning the copyright to it. THAT is how Bioware did it in the past.

3. As I stated previously as well, the User licence has a stimulant that, if Beamdog likes what you've created and they put it into the base game, they will attempt to credit you for your work. So if you do find a way to make the game more beautiful (without breaking everything else) than Beamdog might pay you for it.
  • AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 185
    "If you are using materials that exist within the vanilla NWN experience and repackage some of those to sell on your own, do you not violate the intellectual properties of the license holder for NWN?"

Well, obviously not, if the developer and distributor of the game license that content for such use. And they could have an excellent motivation to do so, if they also took a cut as a condition of allowing such commercial mod development.

I would certainly like to see that option. And while it's a little more complicated for game development, I think the analogy to Amazon is pretty apt. Democratizing the field a bit by opening it up to small development teams wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    I long for the days when monetary means are obsolete and an individual's worth is based on reputation and merit, much like Star Trek or the Orville.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    I didn't realize we had so many lawyers and copyright experts in this community who have specialized in intellectual property and are authorized to speak on behalf of Wizards of the Coast.

How blessed we must be to have your expertise.

You must be saving Hasbro a small fortune in legal fees.

o:)