Skip to content

Toolset Crashing / Slow to Load

Is anyone else having problems with the head start toolset crashing? I am working on porting files from my old mod into a new mod file, and I am able to work fine in the old toolset (apart from the fast scrolling issues which have been driving me mental) . When I use the new head start toolset, I am finding that it freezes periodically and crashes and there's no obvious reason why. It seems to mostly happen after I've looked at the properties of characters or placeables placed in an area.

I'm also finding the new toolset slower to load files than the old one.

Are these known issues?

Comments

• SurekSurek Member Posts: 9
    Sorry I don't have a solution, just wanted to chime in I'm having the same issues. Crashing / tool set stops responding after either editing NPCS or placing placeables, specifically doors
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    edited December 2017
    Have just checked with our programmers - try to uncheck the Environmental Variables box in Settings (for crashes).

Another thing you can try for the slowdown is on the Area tab, "Use Same Texture Quality as Game". Turn it down until they can run better. Tell me if it helps.

Also, did you get this issue in both builds (8150 and 8151)?
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • GlassmelterGlassmelter Member Posts: 38
    edited December 2017
    I didn't notice it in the earlier build, only the most recent, but I only just last week started playing with it seriously, so I'm not 100% sure. I'll try these things and let you know if there is any improvement.
    I can't actually find these settings in the toolset. Can you please give me an idea of where to find them? I checked the Area Properties dialog, the Module Properties dialog, and all along the toolbar and throughout the menu and can't find anything like these things you mention.

Just to clarify, I'm not having any crashing issues playing the game, just while building it.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Top tab, Under Tools--->Options
    Gerneral Tab: Use environmental mapping on creatures
    Area Tab (only so effective): Use same Texture Quality as Game
    The rest of what is available is INI tweaks & in the toolset's ini.

Also, the "slow" issue is known.
    Thank you very much for helping me pinpoint the settings. I changed both of them - I turned off the environmental mapping on creatures, and I reduced the texture quality to the lowest setting and restarted the toolset. It does not appear to have helped.

As I was testing your recommended changes, here is what I did:
    1. Created a new door blueprint with a generic appearance and set the properties to locked, plot, can't be relocked.
    2. Saved my module.
    3. Copied the door blueprint I created in step 1 and changed the appearance, resref, tag, title, and unset the locked and can be relocked flags and saved as a new palette item. I also put an onopen script on the door so that it will close automatically after it's been opened.
    4. Realized that I'd forgotten to change the name and tag and reopened the properties window. Made those changes and as I was updating the fields, the system hung.
    @Glassmelter Thank you for the feedback. The devs will look into reasons of this behavior.
  • MizzajlMizzajl Member Posts: 35
    Hi, I'm also having problem with crashes in the toolset, it happens very often after editing a creature's properties and then hitting "ok".

one example just now, i placed a creature in an area, using the model for the doomguard.
    then right click and edit properties -> inventory -> give an trident of thunder and equip, hit ok for inventory and hit ok for properties and then toolset stops responding.

maybe it has to do with the special effects on the weapon?
    @Mizzajl The QA hasn't been able to repro the trident report.

Have you tried to disable the Environmental Mapping setting as advised above? In the footnotes for the toggle switch, this exact use is mentioned ("Disable if you are experiencing crashes when open/closing secondary windows that use the 3D graphics engine.")
  • MizzajlMizzajl Member Posts: 35
    yep tried disabling that
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    What are your settings for your 1080 ti graphic card? You can use the software that comes with the graphic card to see if it is allowing NWN to take over the settings or if your graphic card is doing it.
  • GorgonGorgon Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2017
    No video card type was mentioned (or I missed it), but if it is an Nvidia card, then this may be related: Toolset crashes upon area load

I was able to load some basic areas with the auto setting mentioned there, but once I added more objects or tiles with various effects, it would crash, or not load the next time.
    The problem that I am having is when I open the properties dialogs to change the properties of really any object. It happens with doors, it happens with creatures, it happens with items, and it happens with placeables. It doesn't always happen the first time I open the properties window, but I rarely get away with a second attempt. Even if I don't actually change any properties, I still get the crashing behaviour.

If I only spend my time in the toolset looking at areas, deleting placeables and doors, placing stuff already stored in the palette and messing around with waypoints and scripting, it behaves fine. It just hates me looking at the properties of anything that has a graphical component.

I'm running windows 10, and my video card is an AMD Radeon HD 7570. I've tried updating my video adaptors and following all of the suggestions above, but this is still a very annoying problem.
    @JuliusBorisov I am wondering after doing some research if the problem is OpenGL? My video card supports OpenGL4.2, but I can't find any verbiage from AMD claiming it is backwards compatible to OpenGL3.0, which is what I think NWN:EE is currently using.

Could that be the problem? If so, are there plans to upgrade the OpenGL version used by the game, or do I need to get a different video card to use it properly?
    JuliusBorisov
    My problems are solved, and I solved them by buying and installing a cheap NVidia 2GB video card. Just wanted to let anyone know who happens upon this thread looking for a solution to the same issues. AMD = bad.
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    edited December 2017
    I can't comment on how AMD does stuff, but maybe I can clear some misconceptions with:

My video card supports OpenGL4.2, but I can't find any verbiage from AMD claiming it is backwards compatible to OpenGL3.0, which is what I think NWN:EE is currently using.

Could that be the problem? If so, are there plans to upgrade the OpenGL version used by the game, or do I need to get a different video card to use it properly?

With a few exceptions in the OpenGL 1.x period, OGL is backwards compatible. So the game/toolset do not need to be upgraded for compatibility sake. Upgrades bring performance and new features only. (technically, only new features. But with new features some old thing can be done faster, thus performance)

What I think is happening here is that toolset is doing something subtly wrong - Maybe not initializing some OGL context, or giving invalid parameters to some function. OGL is a nasty API, and these mistakes are easy to make. Typically, the GPU vendors detect them in the driver and try to correct them. In this case, it would seem that NVIDIA corrects it appropriately, while AMD either doesn't, or does it in such a way that something else breaks.

Post edited by Sherincall on
  • Fatal_TFatal_T Member Posts: 4
    I’m having the same crashing issues when editing placed creatures in the toolset - after making changes, the toolset will hang and then crash.

Have tried turning off the environmental mapping as well as changing the textures used in game setting to no avail. Not sure what graphics card I have, as I’m using an old HP laptop at the moment. A bit annoying but I’m sure it can get sorted.
  • CroscobCroscob Member Posts: 5
    Same problem using a AMD card.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/68699/toolset-crashes#latest

I have tried all orientations but i think this is related with toolset:ee to video card.

Lets wait for new releases.