Can't run the game :( version 74. 8151

Comments

• SnottlingSnottling Member Posts: 85
    edited December 2017
    Ah, got it to work again - OpenAL! :)
    Post edited by Snottling on
    JuliusBorisov
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Yeah I had that. I got openAL from here. After installing everything worked again.

TR
    JuliusBorisov
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Before you try those, i suggest using the openal version accessible at beamdog. I believe this was tested more than other versions. https://www.beamdog.com/support/766
    JuliusBorisovDethangels_Shadow
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    FWIW The version I linked to is 2.1.0.0 which was released on 28th July this year. It works for me on win 10 64 bit with a realtek sound chipset. I chose that location because it offered a UK mirror download site. Before I installed it I checked the installer with Kaspersky which found no viruses.

TR
    JuliusBorisov
  • narcissuslairnarcissuslair Member Posts: 12
    I got the same error (3221225781). Ran Verify. No worky. uninstall resinstall. no worky. Switched from NWN Head Start to NWN then I was prompted to install OpenAL. I installed it, switched back to NWN Head Start and I am in.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 185
    "Switched from NWN Head Start to NWN then I was prompted to install OpenAL. I installed it, switched back to NWN Head Start and I am in."

I don't understand what "switched from NWN Head Start to NWN" is supposed to mean.

Dead in the water until this is fixed.
    Open the Beamdog client
    Select Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition on the left
    There is a dropdown menu where it says English
    Under that menu you can select English - Head Start.
    Switch back to just English (no Head Start) and you will get a pop-up to install OpenAL.
    After install, go back to English - Head Start and click Play

These steps worked for me.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,265
    For me, the updated NWN fails, saying OpenAL32.dll is missing. Followed @narcissuslair's advice but nothing popped up. No regression option, either. Beamdog please advise - unable to proceed with testing.
    Andarian
    edited December 2017
    Narcissuslair: Thanks for clarifying, but I had the same experience as Proleric. I'd tried every combination of dropdowns there I could think of before posting, and nothing happens. (Also, the options look different if you have the Digital Deluxe edition.)

So yes, Beamdog, we need a fix on this before being able to proceed with testing.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    @Proleric and @Andarian There was a new build (8152) released, so everything update for you as soon as you update the build.
    @JuliusBorisov : Thanks. I'm not seeing an update option for the Digital Deluxe Head-Start in the Beamdog Client, though. I'm only seeing "Play." Is there something I need to do to refresh it to see and download the new build?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    edited December 2017
    Restart the Client.
    If you say you only see Play, you should also see Options.
    Under Options, there's a choice to Verify Game.
    Sometimes a little tool-shaped icon appears and offers Restore (to the right of Options button), becuase it detected changed/missing/corrupt files. If it offers you Restore, - do that.
    Make sure you have selected Beta in the Settings (it's a little gear-shaped icon in the Bottom right)--Pre-Release Opt-In (should be auto-set, but just in case)
    You could also uninstall and reinstall the game, if all else fails.

Also, there's also the OpenAL installer linked above which could solve your issue.
    edited December 2017
    All else fails. Beta was off, but turning it on had no effect. Full uninstall and reinstall looks like my only remaining option.
  • ProdProd Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2017
    Fixed it guys I assume this is only affecting some versions of windows (probably 10 and possibly only certain builds), after you download the OpenAL installer, right click the installer and go to properties, at the bottom you should see a security warning with a "Unblock" tick box next to it. Tick it apply and OK and then you should be able to install (I still ran as administrator though and installed without an error). Now able to run the game. :D

JuliusBorisov
    edited December 2017
    Did a full uninstall and re-install of the game. No change. Still won't launch, giving the same error code.

Follow-up: Manual install of OAL did finally let me launch the game. Sound and music artifacts introduced by the update are very noticeable. A lot of snapping during a battle scene test with battle music.
    JuliusBorisov
  • GrymlordeGrymlorde Member Posts: 121
    @Proleric & @Andarian, what @narcissuslair forgot to mention is that once you select the English version, click on the options button and select verify game. That will download the OpenAL. Then go back to English - Head Start. I then did verify game on that version but not sure if that final step is really necessary. It works for me now. Sloppy of Beamdog to leave out that file in the update, but there you have it.
    ProlericJuliusBorisov
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,265
    edited December 2017
    @JuliusBorisov Works exactly as Grymlorde says.
    JuliusBorisov
    Confirmed. I uninstalled OAL and then followed Grymlorde's instructions, and that worked. The snapping and popping problem with the audio is still there, though. If that hasn't gotten a bug report yet it'll need one.
    JuliusBorisov
    Ah thanks @Grymlorde. I tried so many combinations of uninstall/reinstall/verify and English Head Start/non Head Start that I forgot that step. Great troubleshooting all!!
    JuliusBorisov
  • Got this error trying to run the game for the first time. Downloaded OpenAL from the link Tarot provided and the game will now launch.

Windows 10 Home Build 16299 64-Bit
    Intell i5-4460 CPU
    16 GB Corsair RAM
    NVidia GTX 745 w/4 GB vRAM
    JuliusBorisov
  • AtrophiedericAtrophiederic Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 147
    Encountered the same issue - googled the exit code, read this thread, got the OpenAL, and boom! it works! I run Windows 7 Ultimate 64, if'n it matters.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • SBRAAASBRAAA Member Posts: 29
    Sorry to bother you guys, but I tried everything and nothing works for me. Any news about this error?
    SBRAAA wrote: »
    Sorry to bother you guys, but I tried everything and nothing works for me. Any news about this error?

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1133213/#Comment_1133213
  • m_malarikm_malarik Member Posts: 14
    Having the same problem and your links to OpenAL are no longer there. I'm also not seeing any of the things the older posts from 2017-2018 are talking about