Skip to content

Game executable on Linux?

hypumjihypumji Member Posts: 5
edited December 2017 in Troubleshooting
Hi, I'm using Fedora 27 and installed the client and then Planescape. I can run the game from the client but I really odnt want to have to open the client each time I play. Does anyone know how to run the executables? I have tried double clicking them, `chmod u+x` permissions on them, running from terminal also, just don't run unless I play from client which sucks. I kind of expected DRM-free to also mean hassle free.... but ye if you can help me run this executable on linux then thanks :) There are 3, Torment, Torment64 and Torment.exe (the windows version) I've been trying to run Torment and Torment64
edit (added the error msg when trying to run): ./Torment: error while loading shared libraries: libopenal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • hypumjihypumji Member Posts: 5
    thanks for the message :)

So i tried running them all and even the Torment64 file didn't run (I'm 64 bit too), giving the same message which was odd. I'm not sure how installing those 32bit libraries will help
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    hmm, so looking at the beamdog client, it installs a bunch of libraries and a few small applications, and a few of these dont appear to have been installed with fedora 27 or any nvidia/video/audio drivers that i have installed. so it seems that i have to use the client unless i want to install all these individually (there doesn't seem to be any *easy* way to copy them all over to my system)
    edited December 2017
    Oh also the 64 and 32 bit versions are having different dependancy problems. 64 bit version was required libssl.so.1.0.0 which i had installed to my system but only in 32 bit version despite installing from 64 bit rpm package (???), tranferring the lib to lib64 just gave me ELF error. And 32 bit version requires libGL (libGL.so.1) which only exists in my lib64 directory. So what is happening here? ( 32bit compatibilities were installed with nvidia driver)
    edited December 2017
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited December 2017
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    @Shandaxx I've flattened my Fedora partition but what you've said tallies with what I got to work on https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/32109
    edited December 2017
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Hi
    The game store requirements do state Ubuntu 12+ for Linux (Beamdog, Steam), Ubuntu 14+ (GOG) .

Ubuntu package details for openssl may differ from other distributions.
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openssl

Also, Steam runtime contains various packages including openssl.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/274290/discussions/0/619574421478574385/

It may be possible to get the games to work on other distributions (as evidenced above) but there is no guarantee of this. Having Steam already installed may help as it provides some packages that are required.
    edited December 2017
    Just reading through this all now. I had Steam installed but this did not allow simply running by the executables despite Steam including the necessary libraries (within non root directories). I will test to see if these fixes work, but thank you so much for the answers, you have clearly put a lot of effort in trying to help me out :smile:

Edit: SOLVED !! It works, thank you @Shandaxx this is great, game is running perfectly. So I'm guessing basically I have just taken the ubuntu 64-bit versions of the libraries and they happen to work on fedora? or are the libraries cross platform anyway and are just not correctly distributed on fedora? Trying to learn as much as I can about this OS. Would be great if they update the game to use the versions of the library included in the OS, but at least this thread will come up if someone searches for help running the game executables in fedora.
    Post edited by hypumji on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.