Skip to content

why cant it be on consoles

Comments

• KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Tanthalas said:

Kirkor said:

Well, consoles should stay with Racing, Sport, beat em ups and platforming games. RPGs should be only on PCs. Consoles doesn't have enough buttons etc for RPG... Even playing FPS with controller is crap.

Consoles have plenty of great RPGs on them.

If they are designed strictly on them, yes.
    But games which are designed basicly on everything, usualy suck (in terms of controls). Skyrim/Fallouts have terrible controlls, when it comes to anything related to interface (inventory screen etc.)
    But games like Final Fantasy - yeah they have good controlls.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Well, there are some awesome anime games on xbox 360 that I will never play because I do not own console and it is unlikely I ever will. I can say that I feel your "pain".

PC has Baldur's Gate for counterbalance.
    I got over it pretty fast.

But, BG:EE doesn't require a powefull PC, so If you ever decide to buy one, relatively cheap one will do. I think that my parents' PC, which is used for work only, could handle it.
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    I have no doubt that beamdog COULD do it, whether they would or should is a different matter; There's a bigger audience in the console market but I think the audience for this type of game is naturally larger in the PC market.
    Plus the whole controller/mouse sha-bang.
  • lilraven1188lilraven1188 Member Posts: 4
    bg was on xbox and it was awesome and since they r basivly just revamping it shouldnt be that hard but i realize beamdog doesnt have the funs and have lost alot of the original data so ill just pray that when bg3 drops it will be on consoles and prefer a simple controller to having to point and click to move thats why they made joy sticks
    plus u cant go out and buy a cheap pc and hope it plays ur games u need graphic cards and shit which would cost way more than an xbox and the games
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036

bg was on xbox and it was awesome

You're talking about Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance? That game has literally nothing to do with Baldur's Gate except for the title.

• The_Guilty_PartyThe_Guilty_Party Member Posts: 44
    Zeckul said:

bg was on xbox and it was awesome

You're talking about Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance? That game has literally nothing to do with Baldur's Gate except for the title.

That's not true; they both had the words 'Baldur's Gate' in the ... oh, wait.

Anyway, if anyone honestly believes that PC vs Console flamewars are a good time, productive, or contain any modicum of logic or reason, just go search for pretty much any forum thread on video games circa 2005. Happy reading. Here in the future, we realize that there are advantages and disadvantages to each, and porting BG to a console would be theoretically possible but impractical in dozens of ways. So why don't we all go back to voting in polls about things?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

and prefer a simple controller to having to point and click to move thats why they made joy sticks

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Shin said:

and prefer a simple controller to having to point and click to move thats why they made joy sticks

Your picture link isn't working
  • drsahldrsahl Member Posts: 65
    Tanthalas said:

Baldur's Gate is already on consoles.

People can even play it on their PSP.

I am yet to meet someone who actually played BGDA on their Ps2 say they liked the game or even finished it.. that might give a hint to whereas it was a good idea..

If I remember right someone even called it a dumb game... this is why I think these kind of RPG's don't belong with a controller... just like I believe games like Fifa football. don't belong on the PC
    Tanthalas said:

Kirkor said:

Well, consoles should stay with Racing, Sport, beat em ups and platforming games. RPGs should be only on PCs. Consoles doesn't have enough buttons etc for RPG... Even playing FPS with controller is crap.

Consoles have plenty of great RPGs on them.

Indeed they do.. most of them are Action RPG's and for a reason.. thats the whole point of many of the arguments.. to play more advanced RPG's often a controller are not enough..
    A good example is Dark Souls.. its was praised for being a super RPG and very hard (the hard part I do agree with) but to me its just a Action RPG made for consoles.. (try playing that without a controller) ofc good nonetheless..

A perfect example (although another genre) I've seen people buy mouse and keyboard for their PSP to play advanced RTS games.. but the power of the console is "handy/easy entertainment for the family with a controller" its like gettting a controller to play games on the PC if you have a console.. it makes damn little sense to me :D but then again.. we all are different and we all have our opinions..

But look at the bright side.. people can play BG on their tablet and phone :D that should be good enough im0
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012

I think its just on their tablets that they can play
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @drsahl

BG:Dark Alliance is a completely different kind of game, and I personally thought it was great and fun too play. BG1 on a console wouldn't be unplayable (I had fun playing command and conquer on my PSX) it just would have an inferior control scheme than on the PC.

As for the question about using a controller for PC games, I don't really see why that's such a bad thing. For me, a controller is a lot more comfortable to play with instead of a keyboard. So yes, whenever I can, I do use a controller to play PC games.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Tanthalas said:

@drsahl

BG:Dark Alliance is a completely different kind of game, and I personally thought it was great and fun too play. BG1 on a console wouldn't be unplayable (I had fun playing command and conquer on my PSX) it just would have an inferior control scheme than on the PC.

As for the question about using a controller for PC games, I don't really see why that's such a bad thing. For me, a controller is a lot more comfortable to play with instead of a keyboard. So yes, whenever I can, I do use a controller to play PC games.

I used to do the same for driving games, Shumps and platforming games too. Much more comfortable and precise than keyboard/mouse combo.

Then I got myself an Xbox 360 for that kind of games.

On a console FPS,RTS and (real) RPG's controllers is a nightmare to use though.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited November 2012
    Bytebrain said:

I used to do the same for driving games, Shumps and platforming games too. Much more comfortable and precise than keyboard/mouse combo.

The hell the X-box controller is more precise than a Keyboard for driving games !

For one simple reason :

there is a dead spot with your joystick (when it is vertically centered). Each time you want to turn right and left, you have to mover to the central position ...

With the keyboard, with left key / right key, you can adjust your trajectory far more precisely !

For driving games : pads < keyboard < gaming wheel
    For fighting games : arcade sticks > pads & keyboards.

example : try to make a full 360° of the stick when you want to make your special moves. Arcade sticks are perfect for this, gamepads are just pain in the a s s to do it (not enough precision).
    This is especially visible when you play to Street Fighter (since you have to do a real half or quarter circle). In mortal combat, you just have to do left, down, right, up.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    TBH I can't see why it'd be such an issue any more, especially as consoles are moving towards being 'entertainment centres' with keyboard & interactive accessories porting the game would certain make a lot more sense than it did even five years ago, and it'd be yet another way to introduce a whole new generation of players to DnD & the setting. Obviously the constraint now is not so much the limitations of the technology but the costs involved in redesigning the interface, taking into account the different inputs, and coding and licensing for each different platform. Then of course there's distribution; I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm or deny this but, digital retail & download is already very well established for PC, Mac & Android based products, and whilst there's no doubt the XBox & PS3 online marketplaces are catching up rapidly the Wii Marketplace is somewhat lacking (IMO, of course) and - here's where I'm guessing a little - I suspect that boxed discs still constitute the majority of console game sales so a developer would have to work out which retail option would most likely generate enough sales to make the cost of development worthwhile.

@lilraven1188, I agree Baldur's Gate (Dark Alliance) for XBox & PS2 were awesome. It's just a shame that a. Microsoft - or whoever's in charge of such things - didn't think to provide a patch for the PAL version of the game to make backwards compatible on PAL XBox360 systems, there is a patch available for NTSC systems though. It's also a shame there's a degree of snobbery evident as far as the games are concerned, certainly they're not true RPGs but they're an excellent introduction to Forgotten Realms and so well executed in terms of style and playability that I believe it's entirely possible the original Baldur's Gate series might have gained a few players through gamers who might not otherwise have been exposed to the PC games realising their were other titles in the Franchise. I know I only played the PC games properly once I'd played the console games; had I not enjoyed playing the game(s) so much I doubt I'd have bothered to try the PC games out. (Admittedly though I did pick up the console game as was vaguely aware of the title from starting playing the PC game as a multiplayer with an old boyfriend - I never finished it though).
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Actually I'd like to see ports of the old Alliance games to modern platforms. Me and my wife are always looking for that kind of game to play together :)
    when i made this disscusion i wasnt complaning so mush as wanting to be informed so thanks to everyone that posted even if some were dicks

Bytebrain said:

The hell the X-box controller is more precise than a Keyboard for driving games !

For one simple reason :

there is a dead spot with your joystick (when it is vertically centered). Each time you want to turn right and left, you have to mover to the central position ...

With the keyboard, with left key / right key, you can adjust your trajectory far more precisely !

For driving games : pads < keyboard < gaming wheel
    For fighting games : arcade sticks > pads & keyboards.

example : try to make a full 360° of the stick when you want to make your special moves. Arcade sticks are perfect for this, gamepads are just pain in the a s s to do it (not enough precision).
    This is especially visible when you play to Street Fighter (since you have to do a real half or quarter circle). In mortal combat, you just have to do left, down, right, up.
    Ehrm.. I think you misread my post. I was saying exactly what your saying.
    Controller is better for driving games, as well as shmups, platformers and I agree also better for beat'em'ups...
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    I started a thread about the PS1 version a while back. It has a link to some more screenshots of BG1 on PS

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/5724/baldurs-gate-on-ps1
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

@lilraven1188, I agree Baldur's Gate (Dark Alliance) for XBox & PS2 were awesome. It's just a shame that a. Microsoft - or whoever's in charge of such things - didn't think to provide a patch for the PAL version of the game to make backwards compatible on PAL XBox360 systems, there is a patch available for NTSC systems though. It's also a shame there's a degree of snobbery evident as far as the games are concerned, certainly they're not true RPGs but they're an excellent introduction to Forgotten Realms and so well executed in terms of style and playability that I believe it's entirely possible the original Baldur's Gate series might have gained a few players through gamers who might not otherwise have been exposed to the PC games realising their were other titles in the Franchise. I know I only played the PC games properly once I'd played the console games; had I not enjoyed playing the game(s) so much I doubt I'd have bothered to try the PC games out. (Admittedly though I did pick up the console game as was vaguely aware of the title from starting playing the PC game as a multiplayer with an old boyfriend - I never finished it though).

Yup BG:DA was my first exerience with both the Baldur's Gate franchise and DnD, even though it's only loosly based on either of those. I've still never actually played PnP DnD, but it did prompt me to check out BG1 and 2, then the other IE games, and then on to NWN and beyond. So I can thank it for all that, not to mention I find the Dark Alliance games to be a lot of fun in themselves.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited November 2012

For one simple reason :

Exactly like a real driving wheel... If you want to change direction, you have to gradually turn the wheel. The difference is that with a keyboard, the controls are binary (on/off) whether they are analog (0.0-1.0) on a controller. The latter therefore allows for much more direct input and an experience much closer to the analog controls of an actual car.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    edited November 2012
    mlnevese said:

Actually I'd like to see ports of the old Alliance games to modern platforms. Me and my wife are always looking for that kind of game to play together :)

The Co-op gaming was definitely part of the appeal, as was the soundset in BGDAII which made Borador the Dwarf sound like he was shouting "Piss Flaps"!! Hours of childish hilarity to be had from that... (FWIW I think he was yelling "Take That").

• GloktaGlokta Member Posts: 97
    Some games should just *not* be played with a controller, just like other games should not be played with a mouse/keyboard..
    I just have a to hard time seening the BG 1/2/EE on consoles and to me it just sounds like a bad idea (granted i very, very rarely play on consoles these days, so i might be abit one-sided)
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited November 2012
    Bytebrain said:

Controller is better for driving games, as well as shmups, platformers and I agree also better for beat'em'ups...

No, sorry for my bad english.

I said that controllers are s h i t for driving games because of the dead spot (when you have to move from left to right). You cannot control your car very pricisely.

With a keyboard, you can push gently left or right with much more precision because you don't have to get back to the central position.

Bytebrain said:

No, sorry for my bad english.

I said that controllers are s h i t for driving games because of the dead spot (when you have to move from left to right). You cannot control your car very pricisely.

With a keyboard, you can push gently left or right with much more precision because you don't have to get back to the central position.

Lol!
    It turned out that I was the one not reading properly what YOU wrote. :-)

However, in most driving games you can adjust the Dead Spot to whatever you want, and in my experience, analogue controls is far more precise than digital controls.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Elof said:

It can't be on the consoles because the games controls and UI are too complicated to transition properly to a controller. The game would require a massive amount of redesign to play as well on the controller as it does on PC and the developers just do not have the time or money to do that.

I don't play modern game consoles so I can't comment about how competent they are for translating computer games, but I do remember that Starcraft worked well on the Nintendo 64, so it's probably possible for them to do something similar with Baldur's Gate; assuming that an xbox is as capable as a Nintendo 64.
  • A5koA5ko Member Posts: 3
    It would be possible for Baldur's Gate to port to a console, but it would require a little tinkering to sort the UI for something other than a mouse. It could work and it would get some extra sales (myself included on both PC and Xbox).

As for the console bashing: Grow Up.

- Console's are not a poor persons PC (I have a very recent 2.5k gaming machine, but I am always on Skyrim on my Xbox). I happen to prefer the Xbox over my PC quite often

- Great games DO exist on consoles, you just want to pretend that the PC is some exclusive group for more important personages. Try playing something recent on the console and stop basing your opinions on the N64. It's a sad and outdated belief that PC is always better, get over yourself.

- Consoles are the majority market. You can accept it, or bury your head in the sand and pretend otherwise.

/rant
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    A5ko said:

It would be possible for Baldur's Gate to port to a console, but it would require a little tinkering to sort the UI for something other than a mouse. It could work and it would get some extra sales (myself included on both PC and Xbox).

As for the console bashing: Grow Up.

- Console's are not a poor persons PC (I have a very recent 2.5k gaming machine, but I am always on Skyrim on my Xbox). I happen to prefer the Xbox over my PC quite often

- Great games DO exist on consoles, you just want to pretend that the PC is some exclusive group for more important personages. Try playing something recent on the console and stop basing your opinions on the N64. It's a sad and outdated belief that PC is always better, get over yourself.

- Consoles are the majority market. You can accept it, or bury your head in the sand and pretend otherwise.

/rant

1. yes, it is possible, but not economical.
    2. no, i won't grow bigger, i'm not bashing either, just stating the facts.
    3. agreed, consoles could be quite expensive - especially if you add up the cost and consider what you won't get for all that money.
    4. yes, there are great games on both platforms. It is just the two platforms are different, so what's good for one isn't good for the other. For some genres developers tried to compromise. And for some genres it caused disaster. No one said that the PC is always better, but for a team based rpg (like BGEE) it is.
    5. agreed, in exchange you can accept that BGEE wouldn't work really well with a console. Even if people who would want BGEE there is only an insignificant number of them who has only a console
    Look at the forum title and get over it.
  • NapalmViperNapalmViper Member Posts: 2
    Elof said:

It can't be on the consoles because the games controls and UI are too complicated to transition properly to a controller. The game would require a massive amount of redesign to play as well on the controller as it does on PC and the developers just do not have the time or money to do that.

your talking rubish torchlight was made from a pointy clicky to xbla with pad and i have both.. the xbox version is easyer to control and was very popular.. also baldurs gate 1 and 2 were on ps2 and xbox original so to say its to complicated is just rubish.... i hope they do bring it out on console at some point.. the only bad thing about it being on console is the fact that u cant mod it another words u cant cheat.....
    sorry if u disagree just my opinion...
  • NapalmViperNapalmViper Member Posts: 2
    i would also like to state that if they did develop this game for consoles they are then covering the entire market which i might add new games on console are £40 which is alot more that they will be selling pc versions for... £40 is the norm for console games so they wont complain about the price.. therefor in the long run would be benificial for the development group....... i have 2 sons a 5 year old and a 8 year old and they love torchlight so would love baldurs gate and the fact that there saying no to console at the moment seems increbibly singular... do you want more fans for the name or not ????